Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The reason they lost the last 2 years was because their top end guys didn’t produce when it mattered. Their depth got them to game 5 and game 7.

They deserved to win both the cbj series and against montreal and for whatever reason never got it done. They have a penchant for having goalies stonewall them. Look at shesterkin last game or forsberg in the ottawa game they lost, but had 48 shots. I don’t know the solution, but depth isn’t the problem. Wouldn’t hurt if they had more killer instinct. Good teams find a way to get it done, the leafs haven’t done that. I’m not sure reshuffling the chairs on the deck is the solution if your top guys aren’t producing.

I'll be honest. Bunting's the only guy who's made me change my opinion on the new additions. He's impressed me so far. The rest of the bargain bin that Dubas picked up look exactly how I thought they would.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Kampfs been incredible
Kase has been pretty solid as well, looks like a middle six forward who can move around the lineup if needed

The new additions have actually been relatively good outside of Ritchie. The problem is the top guys other than Willy (and Auston since he just came back) haven't produced. Just like the playoffs....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kampfs been incredible

Kampf's been what he's supposed to be defensively. But he's also brought exactly how much offense (ie. almost none) I thought he would.

He's best as a defensive minded 4th liner who gets defensive zone shifts and PK time. But he's not going to help add offensive depth to the team, and he hasn't.

Reactions: The90

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'll be honest. Bunting's the only guy who's made me change my opinion on the new additions. He's impressed me so far. The rest of the bargain bin that Dubas picked up look exactly how I thought they would.
Id agree with that. Kampf has been as advertised too. Safe, not offensive. Kase had a good first couple games, not so noticeable last 2. Ritchie has been basically what I expected lol

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Id agree with that. Kampf has been as advertised too. Safe, not offensive. Kase had a good first couple games, not so noticeable last 2. Ritchie has been basically what I expected lol

Kase's surprised me in the sense that I thought he'd have more natural skill/ability to dangle. Instead, he doesn't seem to posses that much natural talent, but generates his chances through hustle and hard work.

In other words, I was expecting a poor man's version of Nylander but instead he looks like a poor man's version of Hyman.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Kase's surprised me in the sense that I thought he'd have more natural skill/ability to dangle. Instead, he doesn't seem to posses that much natural talent, but generates his chances through hustle and hard work.

In other words, I was expecting a poor man's version of Nylander but instead he looks like a poor man's version of Hyman.
The first couple game he reminded me a lot of Kapanen to be honest. Did you watch the first 2?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The first couple game he reminded me a lot of Kapanen to be honest. Did you watch the first 2?

I did. Maybe the shot, but he didn't show Kapanen's dangles or speed.

Then again, Kapanen's shooting blanks right now for the Pens, too. So maybe they are identical. ;)

Reactions: The90

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Homer Wings fan here but wow are the Wings a different team to watch this year. Griess has played unbelievable, Leddy and Seider is a huge upgrade. Bertuzzi is healthy and off to another great start. Raymond looks like an elite passer and can shoot all while looking like he will be in the running for a selke some day.

Their powerplay has made huge strikes with the addition of Tanguay for one. Leddy, Seider and Raymond all look good on the PP.

Maybe they will still be bottom feeders but so far their young guns are living up to the hype so at least there is some entertainment to watch.

Next year though? They should take a massive step. With all the cap space available and maybe we will see Edvisson who is already looking like another steal and Yzerman also isn't afraid to pull the trigger on trades.

I've caught two Wings games on Center Ice and I'm gonna have to agree with this. Needle is pointing up.

Reactions: WF19

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'd usually go all homer but the Atlantic doesn't seem to have a lot of wiggle room after the elite teams.

1. Tampa Bay Lightning (They are the champs until proven otherwise.)
2. Toronto Maple Leafs (Deep team, they should easily make the playoffs.)
3. Florida Panthers (Well coached, balanced team on the rise.)
4. Boston Bruins (Their Cup window is closing but they should still gut out some wins.)
5. Ottawa Senators (Youth will be served; unspectacular roster will kill with speed and structure.)
6. Buffalo Sabres (Not deep enough for the playoffs, but will be a bear to handle with their skill and a Craig Anderson resurgence.)
7. Montreal Canadiens (Bergevin's last contract year will be his last as Habs GM. Too many big pieces to replace.
8. Detroit Red Wings (Not a complete washout of a year, but roster isn't convincing enough to see playoff contention.)
---
Not sure we will see many surprises. I am expecting Boston and Montreal regressions, Ottawa and Buffalo causing some surprises and the Red Wings slowly growing up. Top 3 seem set in stone unless one of the lesser lights goes on a crazy "Hamburglar Run".

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd usually go all homer but the Atlantic doesn't seem to have a lot of wiggle room after the elite teams.

4. Boston Bruins (Their Cup window is closing but they should still gut out some wins.)
5. Ottawa Senators (Youth will be served; unspectacular roster will kill with speed and structure.)
6. Buffalo Sabres (Not deep enough for the playoffs, but will be a bear to handle with their skill and a Craig Anderson resurgence.)
7. Montreal Canadiens (Bergevin's last contract year will be his last as Habs GM. Too many big pieces to replace.
8. Detroit Red Wings (Not a complete washout of a year, but roster isn't convincing enough to see playoff contention.)
---
Not sure we will see many surprises. I am expecting Boston and Montreal regressions, Ottawa and Buffalo causing some surprises and the Red Wings slowly growing up. Top 3 seem set in stone unless one of the lesser lights goes on a crazy "Hamburglar Run".

Pretty much agree with it all except top 3 in a different order, which anyone can argue may happen for each scenario.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
OK. So we do the "Eye Test" and we cherrypick the last two seasons...which, not coincidentally, are the two most Cinderella-induced regular season success stories in modern NHL history...if not in the totality of the NHL proper.

Yeah, that sounds legit.
Does it seem legit now?

pommy80

Mar 11, 2019
Sydney

---

Good list. Probably would move Tampa down a couple of places now Kucherov is out for a while.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
1. Tampa, 108 points.

2. Florida, 106 points.

3. Boston, 103 points.

4. Toronto, 99 points.

5. Montreal, 93 points.

6. Ottawa, 82 points.

7. Detroit Red Wings, 64 points.

8. Buffalo Sabres, 59 points.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
4 games in...and quoted from 4 weeks before Price took his leave of absence. Wow.
I absolutely nailed this. The team lost its identity. With or without price they have scored 3 goals in 4 games. Yeah 4 weeks ago shows how bang on I was. Gonna finish 7th or 8th in the division. You couldn't see it because its your favorite team. Can't fault you for that.... Happens to most around here. All the signs were there this was coming.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
4 games in...and quoted from 4 weeks before Price took his leave of absence. Wow.
Sounds like a good time for your ‘depth’ we’ve been hearing so much about.

Also, proud of Price for getting help, good on him. But even if he’s back, you’ve been shutout once and scored a single goal in the other 3 games. He can’t score you goals as well.

No chance your team just isn’t that good huh?

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I absolutely nailed this. The team lost its identity. With or without price they have scored 3 goals in 4 games. Yeah 4 weeks ago shows how bang on I was. Gonna finish 7th or 8th in the division. You couldn't see it because its your favorite team. Can't fault you for that.... Happens to most around here. All the signs were there this was coming.

True prescience.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I guess I'll say it, Panthers will not be winning the division. Yes they have a very nice looking forward group, but their D core is very meh especially with no idea if A) Ekblad repeats the career year he was having and B) how his injury impacts him. Secondly, they lose their starting goalie who was masking the defensive issues and now have a rookie and a guy that has failed them before. To top it off, their forward additions have really only have had small sample sizes themsevles. Bennett playing a handful of games but does that mean he is a different player than what he was in CGY? Reinhart has had 1 breakout season and it was on a terrible team where he was getting top deployments. This usually leads to inflated stats.

So saying that

Tampa - They are Tampa

Toronto - Matthews, Marner, turn 24. Nylander is 25. They are now in their primes. I expect them to continue to be a strong regular season team and show last year was not a fluke.

Boston - Still can't count them out but wouldn't be surprised if they missed.
o

Funny thread....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad