Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Did you think they were in 2019-20 when they went on to win it by one of the largest paces in this era?

As a Lightning fan...no?

We have your number so maybe I discount you guys a little more than the average fan.

Pace, peak and generational are tired and overused.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Losing Krejci isn't exactly a minor loss. Also, not having the stability of Rask in net until at least the second half of the season is an issue.

They added Taylor Hall and a bunch of other guys.

The Bruins were 12-3-2 after Hall joined the team last year and they got remotely healthy.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Crow

May 19, 2014
I predict Brent Seabrook wins his 4th cup.

A lot of people seem to agree about the standings.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Then we must have been Mediocre as well last year. The biggest loss was Bogosian IMO, and if that's your biggest loss
the team seems to be OK. I don't believe Hyman was that huge of a factor, and Andersen certainly wasn't. I also don't see
how getting younger is worse.

Just because you believe losing Hyman is not a big factor does not make it so. Every year Toronto's depth is be depleted because they have half their cap on 4 players.

That said the Oilers were nuts to sign Hyman at the contract they did.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And that's fair. When I say "Leaf fans" I'm referring to the ones I'm quoting (the guy I quoted isn't the only time I've seen that kind of downplaying mentioned). Plus you've got CantwinwithoutMatthews defending those takes for some reason.
I wasn't "defending" the idea that Hyman being off the team isn't a loss, I was pointing out that it's a lie to say Leafs fans are only low on Hyman's contributions now that he's off the team. We both know that isn't true at all

At least say CantwinwithAuston. That one rhymes

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
You mean some Leafs fans. (Edit. I see your post above and you addressed it). His presence and compete will be missed. I have Leafs competing for the wildcard position. Hope some players step up but we are missing a lot of what Hymen brought and what we need is the higher paid players to bring what Hymen did. Leafs could surprise and play better but let’s be honest no matter where they place in the regular season it’s all about not choking post season and I’m not even sure they make the playoffs with such a top heavy Atlantic.

I've said this before. I think the Leafs scratching and clawing their way into a WC spot that was only won on the 2nd last game of the reg season would be the best thing to happen to this team. All the Leafs fans and media will be screaming for blood and everyone including most Leaf fans will expect the Leafs to fold quickly in the first round.

The Leafs players rally with a us against them attitude and the Leafs finally make a decent PO run by winning a couple of rounds.

BTW I am not a Leaf fan. I just think the Leafs need major adversity during the season to battle harden the team to finally excel in the POs.

Reactions: HolyCrap

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
My prediction...

Florida...111 points
Tampa...107
Boston...99
Montreal...98
Toronto...96
Ottawa...88
Detroit...75
Buffalo...63

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Bruins always get dogged here. Last time around in the Atlantic division they were consensus 3rd place and they won the President's Trophy by a longshot: NHL Standings Fan Predictions - Third in Atlantic
I'm not sure I'd call one more regulation win "by a longshot", but what about last year, when they barely edged out a team missing its captain for half the season, for third in the division and tenth overall?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
And they did so poorly with this constant depletion...

Are you saying they have done well with this constant depletion?

Hey if your only goal is reg season success then I agree with you totally. I personally have higher aspirations for my team then just reg season success

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I've said this before. I think the Leafs scratching and clawing their way into a WC spot that was only won on the 2nd last game of the reg season would be the best thing to happen to this team. All the Leafs fans and media will be screaming for blood and everyone including most Leaf fans will expect the Leafs to fold quickly in the first round.

The Leafs players rally with a us against them attitude and the Leafs finally make a decent PO run by winning a couple of rounds.

BTW I am not a Leaf fan. I just think the Leafs need major adversity during the season to battle harden the team to finally excel in the POs.
That’s a good point. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: libertarian

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm not sure I'd call one more regulation win "by a longshot", but what about last year, when they barely edged out a team missing its captain for half the season, for third in the division and tenth overall?

They had 8 more points than the 2nd place team through 70 games. That's undoubtedly 'by a longshot'.

JetLeaf

Jul 26, 2015
Manitoba
Florida 111 - Panthers or Avalance for the President's Trophy
Tampa Bay 110 - Likely a slower start and the best record in the second half
Boston 102 - Still a playoff team without Rask, Krejci
Toronto 100 - First Wildcard spot, moves to the Metro for Playoffs
Montreal 92 - Not enough Centers, no Weber
Ottawa 77 - Baby step
Detroit 73 - also baby step
Buffalo 50 - 32nd, could honestly see <50 points.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I guess I'll say it, Panthers will not be winning the division. Yes they have a very nice looking forward group, but their D core is very meh especially with no idea if A) Ekblad repeats the career year he was having and B) how his injury impacts him. Secondly, they lose their starting goalie who was masking the defensive issues and now have a rookie and a guy that has failed them before. To top it off, their forward additions have really only have had small sample sizes themsevles. Bennett playing a handful of games but does that mean he is a different player than what he was in CGY? Reinhart has had 1 breakout season and it was on a terrible team where he was getting top deployments. This usually leads to inflated stats.

So saying that

Tampa - They are Tampa

Toronto - Matthews, Marner, turn 24. Nylander is 25. They are now in their primes. I expect them to continue to be a strong regular season team and show last year was not a fluke.

Boston - Still can't count them out but wouldn't be surprised if they missed.

Florida - I think they have an amazing first 8 weeks and then go on a big skid and just barely beat out the rest for the last spot in the final week.

Ottawa - Can see them being a bubble team

Montreal - Massive downgrades to the team who has placed 24th and 18th in the regular season last 2 years. Price having surgery and not being ready to start the year also impacts things.

Detroit - Still better than Buffalo

Buffalo - Buffalo

I think this is good observation. The Panthers goaltending worries me. Bob who has been bad in his tenure so far. And Knight with less than 10 NHL games.

It feels weird, but I feel people are overrating Florida. :laugh:

I still think we have enough firepower to make the playoffs though.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
...and all those players, helped sooo much.

...and your $40 million players helped soooo much. How much did they help in the last POs?

$6.9M Nylander: Good, play very well
$11M Tavares: Hurt, not his fault
11.64M Matthews: MIA
10.9M Marner: MIA

In the PO's a lot of times the best players cancel each other out. A lot of the time it is the depth players that make the difference between winning and losing. The more depth players the Leafs lose the less likely this core can ever win a cup. Your SC window is closing with every depth player you lose.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
...and your $40 million players helped soooo much. How much did they help in the last POs?

$6.9M Nylander: Good, play very well
$11M Tavares: Hurt, not his fault
11.64M Matthews: MIA
10.9M Marner: MIA

In the PO's a lot of times the best players cancel each other out. A lot of the time it is the depth players that make the difference between winning and losing. The more depth players the Leafs lose the less likely this core can ever win a cup. Your SC window is closing with every depth player you lose.

The Leafs lost Hyman, Thornton and Galchenyuk. Wouldn't count Foligno as he was a rental that they could and probably will trade for an equivalent or better forward if needed at next years deadline.

They replaced those three with Ritchie, Bunting and Kase. A downgrade from Hyman but probably an upgrade on Thornton/Galchenyuk.

The bigger issue is Mark Hunter's drafts haven't turned out any supplemental young guys that can fill in on ELCs the way the Guentzels/Debrincats helped PIT/CHI. They have Robertson and a few other good young prospects now since they got rid of Mark Hunter but it might take a year or two before they contribute.

Reactions: libertarian

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The Leafs lost Hyman, Thornton and Galchenyuk. Wouldn't count Foligno as he was a rental that they could and probably will trade for an equivalent or better forward if needed at next years deadline.

They replaced those three with Ritchie, Bunting and Kase. A downgrade from Hyman but probably an upgrade on Thornton/Galchenyuk.

The bigger issue is Mark Hunter's drafts haven't turned out any supplemental young guys that can fill in on ELCs the way the Guentzels/Debrincats helped PIT/CHI. They have Robertson and a few other good young prospects now since they got rid of Mark Hunter but it might take a year or two before they contribute.

Ritchie is atrocious, Kase is one hit away from ending his career (sad thing), and Bunting whom many know nothing about.

They also having an aging bottom 6 with the likes of Spezza and Simmonds and Tavares continues to mold more and more into a turtle at age 31.

Add in aging Muzzin 32 and Brodie 31 .....

you have a mix of aging players and a very underwhelming immature over paid playoff performers.

IMO the leafs have taken a step back and will be battling for a playoff spot.

Just a very poorly constructed team.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Ritchie is atrocious, Kase is one hit away from ending his career (sad thing), and Bunting whom many know nothing about.

They also having an aging bottom 6 with the likes of Spezza and Simmonds and Tavares continues to mold more and more into a turtle at age 31.

you have a mix of aging players and a very underwhelming immature over paid playoff performers.

I think losing hyman will hurt more than leaf fans are currently admitting. If Ritchie and kase are atrocious, it’s unfortunate, but last year, galchenyuk was ok, nothing special and Thornton was ok at best. You’re talking a marginal move backwards there. Also, saying nobody knows Bunting doesn’t prove he’s good or bad. They literally are fringe players used to fill in around the leafs stars. Pretty sure you could put a broom on their lines and have them be a somewhat productive 30-35 points.

You’re replacing depth players with depth players. 90% of the time your teams not going to change very much if at all. Hyman is the only significant piece there they will really miss. If one of bunting, Robertson, Ritchie or kase can produce 30 points, they’re fine

Reactions: Blowfish

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I agree that its quite a flawed team, but they still have what it takes to cruise to a playoff spot.

The types of weaknesses they have are more at risk of being exposed in the postseason rather than the regular season. They actually ended up losing in the offseason more of what they needed in the first place.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think top heavy teams can finish high in the standings in regular season, but I think where the issues will arise is come playoff time. The Leafs did nothing to address their lack of depth up front. They even got worse in that regards, by losing Hyman and bringing in a couple of random 20-30 point guys.

So I can see their "big 4" being able to cruise them to another 100 point regular season, but I don't think Dubas did anything to improve their playoff chances with his off-season.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad