Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The reality is - Habs were safely in playoff position all season long last year, and never came close to missing.

I won't disrespect the Habs' fantastic playoff run, no leg to stand on, but that's a pretty generous description of their regular season performance. You guys rode a hot start and finished 4 points up on Calgary in a division where 4/7 teams made it. When's the last time an 86 point team made the playoffs in a full season?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Florida - didn't lose anything of consequence, the only real question mark is their 20 year old goalie.
Tampa Bay - Still a contender but lost some key depth that will set them back mildly.
Toronto - Similar team to last year, should see similar results.
Boston - Gained Hall but lost Krejci. Close with Toronto, could go either way, but I think the loss of Krejci is really big.
Montreal - Losing Weber hurts. Are they closer to their regular season team, or the playoff team? I lean towards the regular season team, although if Price goes on a tear, they could finish higher.
Ottawa - Improving, and they have put some distance between them and the two teams below them, but there is still a significant gap to make up to get to the tier above.
Detroit - I feel bad for the fans. They do have some promising pieces though, so hopefully they show some improvement.
Buffalo - My mama told me that if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A bit off topic but am i the only one who has a gut feeling that if Knight and Bob both fail at being a competent starter they'll aquire Tuukka Rask?
Never thought of that as Rask said it was Boston or nothing. It could make sense if Boston has no desire to re-sign Rask, but when is he even going to be healthy?

For the record, I don't think Knight struggles so hard that they have to find someone new.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A bit off topic but am i the only one who has a gut feeling that if Knight and Bob both fail at being a competent starter they'll aquire Tuukka Rask?

Heard on the radio today, Rask said he will be back with Boston, sometime after recovering from hip surgery.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Dallas made the cup final. Then HF voted next year they're the 7th most likely Cup favorites. Semantics aside of whether 7th should be qualified as a 'top team' or not (ridiculous that you're arguing it shouldn't) - they still got a ton of respect going into the following year.

Montreal played 20 or their 34 first games against Ottawa, Vancouver and Calgary? Ok, and? Record against Ottawa was 500, and Calgary they had 3 wins and 6 losses. They didn't exactly torch the weak teams lol, outside of Vancouver. They had a winning record against Edmonton. Montreal hit a road bump when they had a bunch of key injuries + covid (lost Gallagher, Price, Weber, Danault and many others) - they didn't hit a road bump because all of a sudden they were facing certain teams. Weird argument if that's what you were going with...

Panther fans are being way too cocky this off season. Someone suggesting they may not be a top team this year gets them all up in the arms. The fact of the matter is that they have had one successful season in the past 4 years - last year - when nobody really expected them to - and still lost in round 1 of the playoffs. Maybe they build on that and have another strong season, and maybe they don't. They have some glaring question marks (like - goalies), as do many other teams in the Atlantic (yes, including Montreal). If that's too hard a reality for some fans to swallow - well, that's on you guys.

except, we’re not being cocky, we’re refuting your ridiculous claims with strong points and you’re just not a fan of it lol.

Sure, it’s a fact we’ve missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years (guess the shortened season that we were still in the hunt for them, and made the bubble, doesn’t matter?) but you’re seriously negating the many changes Zito’s made that have been huge positives. The roster is a lot stronger than 3 of those 4 years, has gotten even stronger since last year, and most have a year (or at least 20ish games) together.

I don’t get where you’re coming up with these “glaring question marks”…your example is in goal, but it’s not like Knight is some massive question mark. He’s a top level prospect that handled several pressure situations extremely well. Sure, Bob is always a question mark, for some reason, but Zito has also worked to eliminate the terrible play in front of him. Yandle, Matheson, a weak bottom 6, and terrible depth. The breakaways and giveaways should be decreased, and Zito will continue to tweak the roster as needed.
Further, they have Q as coach. The guys respect him and listen to him.
Maybe we won’t finish ahead of a few teams, but they’ll be in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beezeral

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Florida is my value pick to win the Cup, so I'll go with them winning the Division here. They have a very deep team with some outstanding top-end talent. I guess the "weakness" is goaltending, but Knight looks like the real deal and should likely get them good enough goaltending. And if Bob can somehow improve from "actively bad" to merely "mediocre", they'll be in good shape.

TB/TOR in the 2/3 spots, and Boston following.

Reactions: Panteras

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
I have to be missing something - can someone please explain to me why Florida is so high on everyone’s list?

Bennet has played about 15 good games in the last 5 years. After one above average season, everyone seems ready to say Verhaeghe and Duclair are top 6 guys. Similarly, Reinhart got every opportunity to succeed on Buffalo, and is still a middle six player. Really after Barkov and Huberdeau, they’re forwards don’t impress me all that much compared to other teams in the division.

On D, after Weeger and Ekblad (who’s always an injury risk), they’re isn’t anything special, just a bunch of typical bottom 4 guys. And they’re relying on a rookie and washed up vet in net.

Again, I’m willing to acknowledge that I’m missing something here, but I really just don’t see what all the hype is about. A playoff team? Sure, they’ll probably battle Montreal for a wild card spot. But they aren’t better than Tampa/Boston/Toronto to me.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I have to be missing something - can someone please explain to me why Florida is so high on everyone’s list?

Bennet has played about 15 good games in the last 5 years. After one above average season, everyone seems ready to say Verhaeghe and Duclair are top 6 guys. Similarly, Reinhart got every opportunity to succeed on Buffalo, and is still a middle six player. Really after Barkov and Huberdeau, they’re forwards don’t impress me all that much compared to other teams in the division.

On D, after Weeger and Ekblad (who’s always an injury risk), they’re isn’t anything special, just a bunch of typical bottom 4 guys. And they’re relying on a rookie and washed up vet in net.

Again, I’m willing to acknowledge that I’m missing something here, but I really just don’t see what all the hype is about. A playoff team? Sure, they’ll probably battle Montreal for a wild card spot. But they aren’t better than Tampa/Boston/Toronto to me.

Ekblad isn’t always an injury risk. He barely missed any time before breaking his leg, no idea why people can’t figure that out. He had a couple concussions, but he’s never been out long term before last season…when he broke his leg.
Forsling, Gudas, and Montour are far better defensively than Yandle, Matheson, and Stralman.

A rookie who’s considered one of the best young goalies in the world, and a vet who’s had to deal with fairly week defense. That defense is improved.

Verhaeghe finally got his chance, he did incredibly well with it. Bennett showed incredible chemistry with an elite player, he played in the bottom 6 most of his time in Calgary, but ok, go ahead and discount that. Duclair has had how many centers like Barkov to line up with? He played throughout the lineup, did well and played hard every time. Created chances. Reinhart has good numbers, he’ll be playing in a totally different situation.

every team has to wait and see, but it makes zero sense to discount a team that gave Tampa hell throughout the season and in the playoffs (go ahead, look up the goals against between Florida and the other teams they faced). They played well all season, not really sure why that couldn’t translate into further success this coming season. The room is strong and there’s several elite players on a team that’s going in the right direction. Finally.

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Ekblad isn’t always an injury risk. He barely missed any time before breaking his leg, no idea why people can’t figure that out. He had a couple concussions, but he’s never been out long term before last season…when he broke his leg.
Forsling, Gudas, and Montour are far better defensively than Yandle, Matheson, and Stralman.

A rookie who’s considered one of the best young goalies in the world, and a vet who’s had to deal with fairly week defense. That defense is improved.

Verhaeghe finally got his chance, he did incredibly well with it. Bennett showed incredible chemistry with an elite player, he played in the bottom 6 most of his time in Calgary, but ok, go ahead and discount that. Duclair has had how many centers like Barkov to line up with? He played throughout the lineup, did well and played hard every time. Created chances. Reinhart has good numbers, he’ll be playing in a totally different situation.

every team has to wait and see, but it makes zero sense to discount a team that gave Tampa hell throughout the season and in the playoffs (go ahead, look up the goals against between Florida and the other teams they faced). They played well all season, not really sure why that couldn’t translate into further success this coming season. The room is strong and there’s several elite players on a team that’s going in the right direction. Finally.

Forsling and Gudas aren't new (and Montour was around for a part of last year), and Matheson wasn't on Florida last year (and Stralman only played in 60% of games). Are there stats to back up the fact that those three are better defensively? Or is it an eye test thing? Or just a narrative?

Knight certainly has potential and looks like he could be good one day, but he's still really young and there are countless former top prospects in net that either never reached their full potential or took a few years to get there. I'd say it's more likely he will struggle than be an all star this year. And again, you say the defense is upgraded, but there really isn't much difference from last year

Up front, it just a lot of guys without proven track records that are being counted on to replicate career years. An aging Hornqvist is bound to slow down sooner than later as well.

Not trying to come across as a hater, I'm just legitimately trying to understand here. One good (shortened) season is no guarantee to be the new normal.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

I'm clueless, but I think Toronto is better coming from a Toronto fan. LOL. Cant wait. Your team has a top 4 and then a wide array of mediocre.

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
I'm clueless, but I think Toronto is better coming from a Toronto fan. LOL. Cant wait. Your team has a top 4 and then a wide array of mediocre.

This does nothing to change my mind. At least tell me where my thought process is flawed rather than calling me ‘clueless’ and making a baseless statement.

Outside of Barkov and Huberdeau, it’s pretty easy to say that the Panthers are a wide array of mediocre too. Toronto is certainly flawed, but they’re at least a proven regular season team - Florida is not.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
This does nothing to change my mind. At least tell me where my thought process is flawed rather than calling me ‘clueless’ and making a baseless statement.

Outside of Barkov and Huberdeau, it’s pretty easy to say that the Panthers are a wide array of mediocre too. Toronto is certainly flawed, but they’re at least a proven regular season team - Florida is not.
At the end of the day we’ll just have to wait to find out won’t we. All I can say is that I’ve gone every season as far back as I can remember in full on pessimistic mode, not this one. Of course anything could happen, but we got better this off-season, and if you watched the Tampa series, even though we got knocked out, we gave them hell without Ekblad and a sieve. Knight will get his first full season and I think Bob bounces back as his pride’s at stake. We have legit depth everywhere, specially forwards. But at the end of the day if you can’t see it then so be it. No point in arguing opinions when one of us will eat crow. Can’t for season to start.

Reactions: axman15

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Forsling and Gudas aren't new (and Montour was around for a part of last year), and Matheson wasn't on Florida last year (and Stralman only played in 60% of games). Are there stats to back up the fact that those three are better defensively? Or is it an eye test thing? Or just a narrative?

Knight certainly has potential and looks like he could be good one day, but he's still really young and there are countless former top prospects in net that either never reached their full potential or took a few years to get there. I'd say it's more likely he will struggle than be an all star this year. And again, you say the defense is upgraded, but there really isn't much difference from last year

Up front, it just a lot of guys without proven track records that are being counted on to replicate career years. An aging Hornqvist is bound to slow down sooner than later as well.

Not trying to come across as a hater, I'm just legitimately trying to understand here. One good (shortened) season is no guarantee to be the new normal.

You missed my point entirely on the defensemen, the D is much stronger than in years past and Zito will make improvements where necessary.

and lol to your “not trying to be a hater” as you carry on with mediocre talk, washed up goalie, etc. Q isn’t a mediocre coach that doesn’t know how to motivate his guys, and Hornqvist adds as much in the room, if not more, as he does on the ice.

you were given reasons, you just don’t like them. Sure. They could regress. They could also come out flying. Same as many teams.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

I’m addition to what the others told you, you called Verhaeghe’s season above average. His underlying numbers were some of the best in the NHL. He’s a legitimate top 6 player even if those numbers regress a bit.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

There's not many holes, and ekblad seems to have elevated his to another level in the panthers successful covid season. They gave tampa a good run even without ekblad. Knight seems like a decent insurance policy as well if bobrovsky falters.

I also have Florida first. I think tampa will have a transition with their bottom 6 turnover which was understated in their overall success.... Plus the toll of two deep playoff runs in a row.

Boston has a big concern at center with the loss of kreicji.

Florida
Toronto
Tampa
Boston
Montreal
Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo

Synesthesia

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa Bay
Florida
Toronto
Boston
Ottawa
Montreal
Detroit
Buffalo

Honestly, I feel like Boston will suffer more than most expect with the loss of Krejci.
Florida, on paper, should be excellent, but whether that turns into concrete things remains to be seen.
Montreal is ridiculously overrated after a lucky playoff run, and while Suzuki and Caufield should blossom further, the overall quality of the lineup is very mediocre.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Tampa Bay
Florida
Toronto
Boston
Ottawa
Montreal
Detroit
Buffalo

Honestly, I feel like Boston will suffer more than most expect with the loss of Krejci.
Florida, on paper, should be excellent, but whether that turns into concrete things remains to be seen.
Montreal is ridiculously overrated after a lucky playoff run, and while Suzuki and Caufield should blossom further, the overall quality of the lineup is very mediocre.
I think this was my list as well. I think its pretty easy to break this down in what should be the way it finishes by pairs or splits, with a pretty significant gap between each split.

Tampa and Florida - 1 and 2

Toronto and Boston - 3 and 4

Montreal and Ottawa - 5 and 6

Detroit and Buffalo 7 and 8

Reactions: Synesthesia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad