Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Tomorrow is as close to the 1/3 point of the season as things get ....
Duchene with just 1 5on5 goal, 2 pp goals ... on pace for roughly 9 goals with a goalie between the pipes, 3 of those 5on5 goals after 21 last season.
Jeannot with 3 goals ... far of his 24 of last season.
Trenin on pace for about 6 goals after 17 last season.
PP1 led the team to above a 24% conversion rate last season, the same 5 simply aren't getting it done so far this season.

Forsberg, Nino and Johansen the only three on pace for 20+ goals, Nino the only one flirting with 30 right now.

The big boys need to start performing.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
You can't use LTIR till the team is over the cap. My first thought was to eat cap on trades for picks BUT when you eat cap, you pay for that portion of the contract. Thus if you are team B to eat 2 mil on a cap, the traded player gets a check from you, the new team, and if team A retains, a check from team A. (But direct deposit makes this moot. ;)

If they kept Tolvanen, put Carrier on IR, and made today's call ups we'd be over the cap by several thousand dollars. That is the flirting with the cap level the team is at right now.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I've watched the Preds consistently since 2014-15 (but I've had less time the last 2 years), and this is the most down I've been on the team. Just feels like nothing is going to change and we'll just sink further into mediocrity. I hope things turn around.

Reactions: predhead1 and weeze

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Tomorrow is as close to the 1/3 point of the season as things get ....
Duchene with just 1 5on5 goal, 2 pp goals ... on pace for roughly 9 goals with a goalie between the pipes, 3 of those 5on5 goals after 21 last season.
Jeannot with 3 goals ... far of his 24 of last season.
Trenin on pace for about 6 goals after 17 last season.
PP1 led the team to above a 24% conversion rate last season, the same 5 simply aren't getting it done so far this season.

Forsberg, Nino and Johansen the only three on pace for 20+ goals, Nino the only one flirting with 30 right now.

The big boys need to start performing.
You don't think it's at least some form of a coaching issue when virtually the whole team is underperforming?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
You don't think it's at least some form of a coaching issue when virtually the whole team is underperforming?
Some of it could be. The flip side is that would require that those same players performing so well last season would require giving the coaching credit. There is nothing the coaches can do to put the puck in the net for Duchene who is on pace for 1/7th of his 5on5 numbers of last season, about 1/3rd of his PP goals .... similar ratios for Jeannot ... the players have to finish when they are in position to do so.

Saying "virtually the whole team" requires ignoring Forsberg, Nino, Johansen, Josi all performing at expectable levels ... not career best outlier level, but normal outputs. Secondary and tertiary scoring guys are getting their points ... Jankowski is on a 9 ish goal, 30 ish point pace extrapolated out for a full 82 game season .... Parssinen is on about an 18 goal pace for 82 games and generating chances ... but that isn't enough to provide a counterbalance.

Reactions: Scoresberg

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
We can go through all of the stats, the player churn due to injury, spending to the cap, etc.

Bottom line for me is this team represents what is probably the most boring on the ice product I can remember. I don’t ever look forward to going to games this season and often just screw around on my phone when we’re there.

I’m not sure how they fix this.
THIS! It isn't Predators Hockey! Period!

Reactions: LCPreds

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
While the kid was not lighting up the scoresheet without a plan to improve the team is senseless. Putting all ones eggs into a basket of young players typically does not work out. Most have been wanting to see the kids promoted for a while, what you get with a floundering group of veterans is a short leash on young guys . Poile has done this forever, cast off players early and on the other hand give some chance after chance TooToo comes to mind there, Watson as well. It is hard to follow his bipolar method. Giving second chances to reclamation guys or retreading guys that should be out of the league like Hartnell and Masons return.

This roster is a mess right now, few pieces fit together. It has made a totally unexciting team to watch. One thing I have liked at times is the team has been very physical at times but the next game are powder puff soft. Just does not make much sense.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Between Lyndsay mocking the fans and the general blah of the team, it's hard to cheer for this org right now.
Do you think the people really close to the org right now know how the fans feel? Do they care? Do they know what a shi$show this is? As long a they win a few games here and there and stay close to the WC spot then everything will stay the course. Though it seems.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So the main boards is saying bettman thinks we may have a cap increase of only 1 million. If that comes to fruition, this team is pretty SOL.
Maybe, though I don't know that anybody but Carrier is earning much of an increase based on this year's play (and at most he's going to get a bump to, what, $3.5M-$4M?). Jeannot's production falling off a cliff and being an RFA is going to cut what we thought he'd get. Fabbro is making about what he should be for a RFA third-pairing guy with upside. Smith and McCarron aren't getting big, if any, increases assuming they are kept around. Glass...I'd be surprised if he doesn't join Tolvanen by the trade deadline.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Maybe, though I don't know that anybody but Carrier is earning much of an increase based on this year's play (and at most he's going to get a bump to, what, $3.5M-$4M?). Jeannot's production falling off a cliff and being an RFA is going to cut what we thought he'd get. Fabbro is making about what he should be for a RFA third-pairing guy with upside. Smith and McCarron aren't getting big, if any, increases assuming they are kept around. Glass...I'd be surprised if he doesn't join Tolvanen by the trade deadline.
While all this is true, it leaves you entering next season with essentially the same group that is failing now barring a big trade.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While all this is true, it leaves you entering next season with essentially the same group that is failing now barring a big trade.
While that's not a great plan either, a coach that actually has a clue might help.

Do you think the people really close to the org right now know how the fans feel? Do they care? Do they know what a shi$show this is? As long a they win a few games here and there and stay close to the WC spot then everything will stay the course. Though it seems.
Oh they know, fans are starting to bring it on the radio. The problem is they don't want to hear it and I'm not sold they will care until lots of seats start not being filled.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
While that's not a great plan either, a coach that actually has a clue might help.

Oh they know, fans are starting to bring it on the radio. The problem is they don't want to hear it and I'm not sold they will care until lots of seats start not being filled.
I dont think hynes is the right person but i dont suspect Poile is going to fire him after just extending him. I also dont think ownership has the stomach to fire poile since he's done a decent job given the various obstacles he was given between the beginning of the franchise til now. So i think we will be stuck spinning our wheels between now and the end of next season. Hopefully im wrong. Team has too much talent to be truly terrible but not enough talent to be truly great unless things just click.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I dont think hynes is the right person but i dont suspect Poile is going to fire him after just extending him. I also dont think ownership has the stomach to fire poile since he's done a decent job given the various obstacles he was given between the beginning of the franchise til now. So i think we will be stuck spinning our wheels between now and the end of next season. Hopefully im wrong. Team has too much talent to be truly terrible but not enough talent to be truly great unless things just click.
It was only a two year extension. Lavi still had years left on his contract as well and that didn't stop him.

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Unless something changes I don't see the wife and I driving the two hours down to catch our normal 5 - 8 games this season. We have not been yet this season and they are just not tempting us to come down based on the on ice product.

I figure we spend about $200+ per game between average tickets, food, gas and the requisite beer. Add that up and we could toss that money on a vacation or something else not Preds related.

Overreacting? Probably but I just don't understand why coaching and ownership tolerate a crap product and expect us to blindly keep throwing money at them. Give us something to watch we can enjoy. Put some big bucks in the press box and play some of the kids not a collection of retreads and The Country Club.

Don't get me wrong, been a fan since '99 but my support will be limited to activities outside Bridgestone Arena for the time being.

Fire Hynes/Retire Poile

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Honest questions for you. Do you believe that Tomasino is going to make a big enough difference on this roster to turn them into a Stanley Cup contender?
Do you trust the current coaching staff and management to put Tomasino in a position to succeed?
I think based off his last two seasons he should have been up this year no matter what. Talk about a kick to your self esteem….
No we aren’t making the cup this year but we need to develop a young stud like him properly. Not give him a year in the ahl as underager and he lights it up then puts up over 30 points playing on fourth line with garbage line mates and minimal minutes in the nhl. Then this season let’s just bury him in the ahl like he’s insignificant.
It’s brutal. No way around it. Brutal.
Like who treats their best prospect like that?
He’s proven he can play in the N.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Honest questions for you. Do you believe that Tomasino is going to make a big enough difference on this roster to turn them into a Stanley Cup contender?
Do you trust the current coaching staff and management to put Tomasino in a position to succeed?
Not sure that is the question to ask. Is Tomasino the answer, probably not. Is what we have currently any better, No. Is the current coaching staff the answer... Hell No! I think that is the question needing to be asked and answered by the GM and Ownership.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not sure that is the question to ask. Is Tomasino the answer, probably not. Is what we have currently any better, No. Is the current coaching staff the answer... Hell No! I think that is the question needing to be asked and answered by the GM and Ownership.
We went from trading vets like arvidsson and ellis so that young players like tomasino, tolvanen, fabbro, and carrier can get more ice time to trading for McDonagh, waiving tolvanen, sending tomasino to ahl, and putting fabbro in 3rd pairing role in under a year. I just dont see a clear direction of the team. Are we reloading or are we going for it? We are so close to the cap as are most the other teams, itd be hard to reload now.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Its dissapointing. Last year up until January, the team looked good, then all the rookies hit the mid season wall and luckily enough for the Preds, Duchene/Forsberg and Josi basically carried the team into the Playoffs at the expense of their play, which didnt carry over into the series with Colorado. Ill give Poile credit (I have certain issues with how he handles the team otherwise) with upgrading the team with adding McDonagh, Lankinen and Nino, but theres no excuse for the team to be as bad as they are right now, thats on Hynes. Im not saying we should be a top team, but the Preds shouldnt be struggling this badly. Theres no excuse for borderline NHL players like Smith or Jankowski being in the lineup every night while Tolvy gets waived/claimed and Tomasino is in the minors. Im all in on the fire Hynes bandwagon, he needs to go.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
There is no excuse for Duchene and Jeannot on pace for 1/7th of their 5on5 scoring from last season while put in similar situations … but that requires holding players responsible for doing their jobs. Our fan base ignores roles played and bases its rants on the content of nameplates rather than actual performance.

I miss when real hockey discussion based on situations, stats, performance (good and bad) was a common thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad