Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is it possible to still trade him before signing? I imagine he’d get some big interest especially from a team like florida that could use the 2nd buyout window that comes with an arbitration award.
His contract is already determined by the arbitrator’s decision. There’s nothing anybody can change about that now. I guess if both sides have mutually agreed not to tell anybody what the decision was whilst they pursue a trade then they don’t have to.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know why either side needs to be the bad guy here. Trenin wants to maximize his money and uses any leverage he has (including threatening to go the KHL) which is a perfectly reasonable position. However, if you're making it clear that you're probably going to go to the highest bidder when you hit UFA (which most likely won't be us) I think it's also perfectly reasonable for Poile to say ok well I'm going to try and get you to as cheap as possible up until that point.
Trenin’s side filed for 1 year that would keep him RFA and with the Preds. Threatening to go to the KHL when the Preds offered him a 2-way deal was quite reasonable two years ago.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Josh Bailey?
We don’t have the Cap space for Bailey though. And he’s too good for them to retain on?

Florida could retain on Hornqvist and still come out ahead on the Cap trading him for Trenin? Or maybe there is a 3way somewhere that could be concocted to save them more?

Washington could be interested? They have a lot of LTIR space?

Or the Rangers could use his size/toughness against those teams? They have some fringe players maybe they’d swap.(Gauthier + Hajek say).

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Trenin’s side filed for 1 year that would keep him RFA and with the Preds. Threatening to go to the KHL when the Preds offered him a 2-way deal was quite reasonable two years ago.
Yeah but if Trenin is willing to bet on himself he probably makes more by doing a one year arbitration deal this year and then another one year arbitration deal next year versus getting the two year deal this go round. It's perfectly reasonable to threaten to leave to go the KHL from Trenin's perspective but that also definitely sends a message about your intentions once you hit free agency.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah but if Trenin is willing to bet on himself he probably makes more by doing a one year arbitration deal this year and then another one year arbitration deal next year versus getting the two year deal this go round. It's perfectly reasonable to threaten to leave to go the KHL from Trenin's perspective but that also definitely sends a message about your intentions once you hit free agency.
Sorry none of this made any sense to me? Trenin filed for 1 year and so WAS betting on himself. And he threatened to go to Russia 2 yrs ago but would have no reason to this time. He’s not fighting for a 1-way contract anymore.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Bailey is 5. Trenin is most likely 2+ Preds have 4. Done
Preds only have 3.2 … with just Trenin’s spot open anyway. Any more than that they’d have to run a couple players short… not undoable, some teams seem to be planning that… but if Poile was willing to jam himself up like that then he could have just paid Trenin something generous and still had a lot more room.

I suspect we can’t look at anybody who has more than 1yr term left either?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why would Poile trade him for any of those guys? None of them are better than just playing him out the two years.
Well if they have him for 2 yrs at let’s say $1.75M as of 9am this morning why wouldn’t they issue a press release saying how happy they are, The Yak Is Back, can’t wait to see him crushing guys for 2 more years, clapping emoji etc? :dunno:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Sorry none of this made any sense to me? Trenin filed for 1 year and so WAS betting on himself. And he threatened to go to Russia 2 yrs ago but would have no reason to this time. He’s not fighting for a 1-way contract anymore.
I’m saying he will likely make more money off of two 1-year deals versus one 2-year deal assuming he continues to perform well next season.

For the going to Russia thing I was saying it’s fine to threaten that but also realize you’re not going to get any favors from the team after you do that.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’m saying he will likely make more money off of two 1-year deals versus one 2-year deal assuming he continues to perform well next season.

For the going to Russia thing I was saying it’s fine to threaten that but also realize you’re not going to get any favors from the team after you do that.
Again, Trenin asked for the 1yr deal.

And I would say Trenin let the team win last time taking 2 yrs at the league minimum so he probably learned a lesson about the futility of doing the team any favours.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

And I would say Trenin let the team win last time taking 2 yrs at the league minimum so he probably learned a lesson about the futility of doing the team any favours.
I understand Trenin asked for the one year deal. He most likely chose that because he will make more money that way not out of some desire to stay with the team longer. I don’t really know how to explain what I’m trying to say any differently.

Again I fully understand where Trenin is coming from but I also understand where Poile is coming from. Especially if a long term deal seems unlikely.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Trenin didn't have much leg to stand on last time really. He was still fairly unproven so anything above a two way deal was a win for him. He still wasn't playing every night going into his last deal.

I really think this one is just him trying to get everything he can and is betting he has another improved year so he would get more money whether that was with us or someone else.

Poile is probably after more cost certainty which is why he went with 2 years instead of 1.

Trenin may have been fairly reasonable on a 1 year deal but we don't really know what he was asking for on a long term one. I have a real hard time believing it was as low as the 2.4 they took to arbitration for 1 year.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad