Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He will have no shortage of suitors if he is so inclined, anyway. There are not many Trenins in the league, he would be a valuable and relatively Cap-friendly acquisition for many playoff contenders.
Yeah I dont see Poile trading him. Hes a bargain and will have a chip on his shoulder to prove himself and earn a bigger deal. If Poile trades him it would be at the TDL in 2024.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Yeah I dont see Poile trading him. Hes a bargain and will have a chip on his shoulder to prove himself and earn a bigger deal. If Poile trades him it would be at the TDL in 2024.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone before then ... I wouldn't be shocked for him to finish out this contract and hit the UFA market. Right now there are far too many unknowns to make an informed guess. The biggest unknown is we don't know how ugly the hearing got and how either side reacts. Then there are the questions about if last season was an anomaly, the new norm, or just a stepping stone to something better

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Here's my question: WHAT are you trading him for? Top 6 winger for Nino's line? You cockblock Tomassino. Pick? He was a 2nd, can you get a 1st?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Why in the world would Poile even want to trade him? That's a good contract even if he does leave after 2.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why in the world would Poile even want to trade him? That's a good contract even if he does leave after 2.
I think it mostly depends on Trenin's mindset after this latest clash. While I believe Poile (and most GMs) are very opposed to the idea of having contracts settled outside direct negotiation, I also believe Poile has the wisdom and experience to set that aside, if he feels strongly enough about how much he can benefit his team by setting it aside. But if the player is perceived to be disgruntled and carries a dark cloud into the dressing room every day (emphasis on "perceived"), or even at the extreme stretch requests a trade, then I think it would become VERY easy for the GM to want to oblige him in such a scenario. Or if the player has any setbacks or slumps or issues which arise... they won't receive the same support and patience that another player might.

Let's face it, we have multiple years of proof that these two sides simply aren't on the same page. It's a bad marriage, basically just waiting to see which side finally takes the plunge into a final separation. Whether it's a week, a month, a year, or, at the very most 2 years, it has to be considered essentially inevitable. And sure, anybody can come on here and say "but but but nothing is ever 100% certain and who really knows" and make all those cookie cutter placating and cautious statements. Sure. All true. But really. It's long odds.
:(

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

It really depends how the forward slots pan out across the next two seasons. We're starting to see a bubble of forwards ready to compete for spots during camp ... Glass, Sherwood, Sanford, Afanaseyev, Parssinen, we'll see how ready Evangalista is to make the jump to the pro ranks ...all trying to get into two open forward slots or dislodge a presumed roster player.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I feel like it’s pretty much impossible to predict how this team shapes up moving forward at least among our RFA group. Jeannot, Fabbro, Carrier, Tolvanen, Tomasino, and Trenin all potentially needing raises in the next two seasons and not a lot of cap space to fit them in. There’s basically no way we keep all of them, but I’d be hard pressed to guess which ones stay and which ones go.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I feel like it’s pretty much impossible to predict how this team shapes up moving forward at least among our RFA group. Jeannot, Fabbro, Carrier, Tolvanen, Tomasino, and Trenin all potentially needing raises in the next two seasons and not a lot of cap space to fit them in. There’s basically no way we keep all of them, but I’d be hard pressed to guess which ones stay and which ones go.

Then factor in Glass, Afanaseyev, Evangalista, maybe Svechkov ......

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Well, now that Trenin is signed unless there are any trades there’s not much to talk about. As good a summer for Poile and the Preds as we could have expected. I think mission accomplished ; good job. Ready for camps(watching for a trade).

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Way I see if the last spot on the second line is a battle between Tolvanen, tomasino, Jeannot, and Trenin. Nino can play either side and Sanford can replace whoever is moved up the the 2nd line.

The more I see about Nino kind of being a pest to play against the more I’m intrigued by the idea of Jeannot/Trenin up there with him. Also allows to run the kid line with Tolvanen glass tomasino and Sanford/Parssinen/nurmi/afanasyev can slot in with with sissons and Jeannot and that should still be one heck of a line

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i haven’t really looked at future cap space but if we are already discussing letting some of these guys go cause we cannot afford them then we are in trouble. Josi is the only elite talent on this roster and he receives a good amount of criticism. Forsberg is really good. taking age into account, things will get really bad around here if 9, 95, and 92 don’t have productive seasons while staying healthy.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
1659802316560.png

I call this my "don't screw with happy" roster locks. I listen to yall, I study TOIs, and make observations.

Here are mine:

IF Trenin wants out, IF. I'm calling NYI and asking about Josh Bailey. Trenin seems like a Lou type of guy. Bailey is a poor man's Nino. Would knock Tomassino down to the Glass line. Which was PP2 last year, (based on PPTOI/G).

IF the roster remains the same, and IF Trenin wants to stay, get Kessel. There is plenty of room under the cap, would be an interesting fit with Nino and Center Du Jour. It would also give Tomassino a target, "Want to be top 6? Beat HIM!' Nothing given.

The 4th line forward spots are going to be a knife fight. I want the best PK player. McD will improve the PK and take minutes off Ekholm and Carrier (both are getting PP and PK time.) A forward would be cool to take PK time off other forwards. (Or the coach can be revolutionary; go with 4 F 1 D on PP and 3 D, 1 F on PK.)

Fabbro seems like an extra spare part. Yes, he is still young but Carrier pasted him on the depth chart. Part of me goes, "He's a 2.4 Million 3rd pairing D, TRADE BAIT!" The other part is going, "The Preds have INSANE depth, you have a top pairing D on the 3rd pair!"

I keep mentioning TOI/GP. To me, this is a strong stat. If the player's conditioning is good, they can play more. Also, it is a stat of trust from the coach. The coach looks at his bench, finds who can play condition wise, and their skills, and puts the guy he trusts out there. With NHL.com's stats, you can look at TOIs and see, EVTOI/GP; you are not a donkey on the ice, I trust you not to allow goals, possibly pot one, not hurt the team. I call this the 'Jordin Tootoo' Tootoo was on the ice a lot even strength. He ate a lot of minutes so stars could get a blow and not suck like a hoover.

Speaking of which, Carrier has similar TOIs to Ekholm. Is Carrier the RHD version of Ekholm?

Long ramble is over, sick with flu and mom's dementia driving me nuts. Fall down, go boom.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Bailey has 2 yrs left at $5M. There is no way we can make that work, not without losing more roster locks than just Trenin.

Carrier is not in Fabbro's league, let alone Ekholm's.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Bailey has 2 yrs left at $5M. There is no way we can make that work, not without losing more roster locks than just Trenin.

Carrier is not in Fabbro's league, let alone Ekholm's.

Why do people insist on wanting to trade the better of our only 2 RHDs that are NHL capable (or project to be anytime soon)? We don't have anything else there organizationally that looks like it might be ready in the near future, let alone close to Fabbro's ability and potential. :banghead:
Clearly I've utilized the ignore feature properly. 😁

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Why do people insist on wanting to trade the better of our only 2 RHDs that are NHL capable (or project to be anytime soon)? We don't have anything else there organizationally that looks like it might be ready in the near future, let alone close to Fabbro's ability and potential. :banghead:

I could scream and yell and show you the stats but I'm going on vacation, thank you for showing me it's time to get away.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn't see anything in that post that mandated he be moved. I'd rather keep them both myself, if it's feasible.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I feel like longevity and familiarity with the system gets overlooked a lot by fan. Even if Carrier ended up being a 3rd pair dman, he'd be someone who knows the system and the guys, making him more effective from the get go compared to a free agent fill-in

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm amused that people think Carrier has passed Fabbro. Carrier has Ekholm to cover his butt, and in the process Ekholm had one of his rougher seasons in a while. Meanwhile Fabbro is holding the fort for Josi so he can run around and do whatever he wants. Ones job requirements were not equal to the other last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad