Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Lots of talk in the GM thread about what we do with our defensemen this year and moving forward.

First off, I wouldn't move Carrier or Fabbro. They're the only two right-handed d we currently have.

With that said, these are the three options I see for pairings:

1. Go for a true shutdown pair with Ekholm and McDonagh and hope one of them can play their offside. Leave Fabbro and Josi together. Move Carrier down to play with Lauzon.

2. Move Ekholm or McDonagh up to play with Josi for the top pairing, have the other one on the second pairing with Fabbro and Carrier and Lauzon are together. Once again, you're hoping the top pairing can have a guy playing his offside.

3. Leave the top 4 as is and have McDonagh pair with Lauzon. For the PK pairings, I'd have Ekholm and McDonagh together and Lauzon and Carrier.

While it seems counterintuitive to have a guy making $6.75 on the third pairing, you don't split the minutes that way. All three pairings get even minutes at even strength. It assures that one of Josi, Ekholm or McDonagh are always on the ice, which is a great luxury and advantage to have. Josi saves his legs for the PP. Ekholm and McDonagh eat big minutes on the PK. Lauzon can play his offside without any trouble. Guys have to buy in that it's not a traditional pairing system where the top pair gets a ton more minutes than the third pair. It keeps all the guys fresher, plays to their strengths and you always have the veteran leadership on the ice. You don't have to feel like you're sheltering any player or pairing.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Lots of talk in the GM thread about what we do with our defensemen this year and moving forward.

First off, I wouldn't move Carrier or Fabbro. They're the only two right-handed d we currently have.

I hope it's understood that the talk of moving Carrier or Fabrro is purely in regards to NEXT OFF-SEASON. It would not be something to consider at any point this season, not until we've seen how they play and what types of contracts they might be looking at moving forward next summer, relative to our forthcoming non-existent Cap space.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So, we playing hockey next month or??
Really not a lot to discuss until camp. Other than a few battles for last couple of forward spots we are pretty set. No contract holdouts, no obvious lineup holes that we might speculate on plugging... AFAIK nobody had surgery over the summer.... Just gotta hope whatever Jusse tweaked at the end of the season is fully healed and he was able to train this summer. Just like every year recently, we are a good team but can only be a great team.if we get really good goaltending

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I love football. Loved watching Blackman beat up on Riverdale last night at Riverdale.

Attachments

• 1D43C729-CF01-4D2F-9B2F-AFF0AB74A959.jpeg
    1D43C729-CF01-4D2F-9B2F-AFF0AB74A959.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 3

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Grew up loving football. Began watching hockey and it made me realize just how slow and boring football can be. I still watch but nowhere near as much as I used to and definitely don’t enjoy it as much.
Hockey cured me of baseball(sorry Trigg)

About 15 years ago was watching the World Series and realized I was dozing off BETWEEN PITCHES....

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Back to Preds. who do you think will make up the last few spots? I look at the roster and I want the best PKer.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I’m bewildered. Parssinev. Afanasyev appear ready. Then there’s the surprising Nurmi signing for 1 year. It’s exciting to have contenders.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’m bewildered. Parssinev. Afanasyev appear ready. Then there’s the surprising Nurmi signing for 1 year. It’s exciting to have contenders.
Well Afanaseyev appeared ready in September 2021, but then in October 2021-through-May 2022 he might not have? So who knows. I think it's also quite likely that some of our new "veteran pros" might be even more ready than the prospects. Guys like Sherwood and Gross absolutely torched the AHL last season, Leonard has 58 NHL games under his belt, Novak did not look out of place with us last year.

Until they start playing, I don't really know how anybody could have any very strong opinion about who will make it. They should all feel like they have a shot... and that's exactly what you want in a competitive camp!

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Afanaseyev was ready and did enough to make the squad during last year’s training camp I thought. But smarter hockey people than me thought the AHL was correct for him. Beyond that, I don’t know what happened but it wasn’t good as you point out. But for him, it’s probably either this year or maybe never. I’m just strong on new faces, not old ones. But we agree, no strong opinions and for a wide open camp.

Reactions: hockey diva
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad