Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Also saw this that indicates it is hopefully only a short term injury for Forsberg. Would be awesome if Tomasino plays so well they can't not keep him in the lineup and then we get Forsberg back soon on top of it.

I would have thought Novak and Parssinen played so well you couldn’t keep them out of the lineup, but clearly it wasn’t so for Novak and they’re inventing ways to make it happen too for Parssinen.

Good if FF9’s injury is “going in the right direction”… he wasn’t hit with a poison arrow, yay. :handclap:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Hynes makes as few changes after a win as possible. Novak will be out until someone either does something so stupid they have to be pressboxed or we lose
That's true and thinking about it he usually sits guys for two games. If you make a trip to the pressbox you're probably going to watch at least two. Still would have been a good opponent to get him back in the lineup but can't argue with the way the beast line is playing.

Reactions: triggrman

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There's a lot to be said about the skaters on the ice noy scoring more during that game but it's also hard to win when your goalie shits the bed.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
when do we start to pull the plug on Tomasino? That was a bad turnover and I think he looked pretty pedestrian tonight..

Wonder if we could package him and Fabbro/Ekholm/Granlund for a real asset?

I think Evangelista will turn out to be a better player and we have quite alot of top 6/middle 6 winger depth in the pipeline with very little Center depth

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
when do we start to pull the plug on Tomasino? That was a bad turnover and I think he looked pretty pedestrian tonight..

I think Evangelista will turn out to be a better player and we have quite alot of top 6/middle 6 winger depth in the pipeline with very little Center depth
You turning on tomasino after his first NHL game of the season? I’m high on evangelista too but we can’t just keep bleeding scoring wingers out of this organization. Hynes has to go first before anybody on this roster is shipped out.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

We have 3 young centers in the roster, and Tomasino is our only current young top 6 winger. Sometimes I wonder if you’re trying to figure out what color the letter seven smells like.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
We have 3 young centers in the roster, and Tomasino is our only current young top 6 winger. Sometimes I wonder if you’re trying to figure out what color the letter seven smells like.
We don't have a true 1st line center though (maybe Parsinnen).

Tomasino is not our "only current young top 6 winger" (talk about word salad!).

Kemmel
Evangelista
L'Hereux

One of Novak, Parsinnen, Glass could also be repurposed at wing.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Kemmel
Evangelista
L'Hereux

Two of the wingers you cite are either in juniors (when not suspended) or not in North America. That leaves Evangalista in his first year as a pro who is currently outperforming expectations at the AHL level. Neither Parssinen nor Glass are moving to wing if they continue to grow.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Kemmel
Evangelista
L'Hereux

I wouldnt call any of them top 6 wingers at the moment. Lots of potential but the closest one tomasino hasnt even cemented himself into that position yet.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Seems pretty early to pull the plug on a 21 year old player. Its still really early for his draft class. There arent alot of players after the top 15 of the 2019 draft that are regular NHL contributors right now and next to 0 once you get past 17th overall

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldnt call any of them top 6 wingers at the moment. Lots of potential but the closest one tomasino hasnt even cemented himself into that position yet.
And, I still say we're doing ourselves an injustice if we try to force ourselves into thinking of a "top 6" and "bottom 6". We've got a killer 4th line with some PKers in the Herd. We don't have any big superstars up front. If we can fill 3 other lines with players who have some skill and can chip in on the scoreboard, let's have a "top 9" and "bottom 3". If we had started the season with that Tolvanen-Glass-Tomasino line, and let them play and grow together, make mistakes and learn from them, we'd be in a better spot today. Whether you called it a 3rd line, a 4th line, or it became your 2nd line. Who cares. If we have enough decent players to have lines like that, let's have lines like that. And a "better spot" doesn't have to mean "in the standings" either. :banghead:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And, I still say we're doing ourselves an injustice if we try to force ourselves into thinking of a "top 6" and "bottom 6". We've got a killer 4th line with some PKers in the Herd. We don't have any big superstars up front. If we can fill 3 other lines with players who have some skill and can chip in on the scoreboard, let's have a "top 9" and "bottom 3". If we had started the season with that Tolvanen-Glass-Tomasino line, and let them play and grow together, make mistakes and learn from them, we'd be in a better spot today. Whether you called it a 3rd line, a 4th line, or it became your 2nd line. Who cares. If we have enough decent players to have lines like that, let's have lines like that. And a "better spot" doesn't have to mean "in the standings" either. :banghead:
I agree here. We dont have the superstar goal scorers needed to run the bottom 6 as we are. We have to score more by committee. For the most part, the top 6 is one target with career goal rates or atleast the rates theyve typically run with hynes coaching.

I think the archetype of a grinder 4th line is slowly becoming outdated as well. This team has become so enamored with the idea of physical hockey, it has put some skill to the side. We lead the league in hits/60 (top 5 us, pitts, sens, flyers, islanders) but i see no correlation between hits and success. The best team in the top 5 is the penguins 14th in league points %. The best team in the bottom 5 (MTL, CAR, ANA, NJD, BUF) is CAR 2nd in the league points % and NJD is 3rd. 1st place boston is 14th in hits/60. I think we need to find more balance in the game

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I agree here. We dont have the superstar goal scorers needed to run the bottom 6 as we are. We have to score more by committee. For the most part, the top 6 is one target with career goal rates or atleast the rates theyve typically run with hynes coaching.

I think the archetype of a grinder 4th line is slowly becoming outdated as well. This team has become so enamored with the idea of physical hockey, it has put some skill to the side. We lead the league in hits/60 (top 5 us, pitts, sens, flyers, islanders) but i see no correlation between hits and success. The best team in the top 5 is the penguins 14th in league points %. The best team in the bottom 5 (MTL, CAR, ANA, NJD, BUF) is CAR 2nd in the league points % and NJD is 3rd. 1st place boston is 14th in hits/60. I think we need to find more balance in the game
The Kraken are a great example of a team that has built three lines that are contributing on the score board with a line that can bang with a bit of scoring as well.

Ron Francis built the foundation for what Carolina is today and is doing another good job of building Seattle.I’d give him credit for being one of the better GM’s in the league.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I must say - the Herd looked terrific last night. Let's run with them for now.
Yes, if we have combinations with demonstrated chemistry, then please, let's leverage that chemistry. Don't break them up just to try to kickstart some other failed experiment elsewhere, which is what Hynes seems to continually do. Over, and over, and over again. :banghead:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I mean, Tolvanen-Glass-Tomasino had all the makings of a productive line. One player with a great shot with two guys that have some creativity plus one with the speed to stretch the ice/create space. Plus all three have turned out to be responsible on both ends.

Agree the top 9 is a better way to go given our lack of elite production at the top.

Last edited:

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
1676422774701.jpeg

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There's an interesting trend here lately.

Last year and earlier this year it was all the rage to bitch that one or both of Trenin and Jeanott weren't being given the opportunity to play in a top 6 role with "better line mates".

What happened to that?

Now people are calling them decent fourth liners and replacement type players. That they should be considered the fourth line grinders for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad