Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Rangers fan here . What’s the story on Jeannot?
I assume not available but Rangers have Kravtsov on the block likely

What about Tommasino? Change of scenery
Poile's current headspace seems to be inaccessible to us atm, so all we can do is each give our own answer.

I wouldn't trade Jeannot at this lowpoint in his production. It might even be a convenient way to get him onto a sweetheart long-term contract as a silver lining. He's too rare a player type to trade. He should not be available.

Tomasino is our best prospect and should be in the lineup for us. We have no clue why he isn't. But we need skill, speed, more scoring... we need him. Also should not be available. He's not really a typical "change of scenery" type of guy, since he has never stopped performing well and frankly exceeding expectations with his development all the way along so far.

I will trade you John Hynes for Kravtsov, that's about it. :)

Reactions: Viqsi and Vitto79

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I mean no disrespect to Glass whatsoever, but... does anybody think a "true top line center" emerges this late in the game? The guys from his draft like Hischier, Elias Pettersson, Thomas, Suzuki... they're already stars with big fat contracts. Historically, the really big true top line centers are pretty much obvious from fairly early on. Glass is about to turn 24. Probably somebody somewhere in the history of the NHL has emerged as a big superstar later than this, of course (not including European imports). But it's not really something I can see in Glass? Just getting another Johansen-level player out of him, one who is younger and cheaper, is going to be a huge enough win for us, I wouldn't try setting my sights any higher than that with him.

But sort of likewise for Parssinen, Svechkov, Novak, whoever we have in the picture right now. That magical superstar center is not on hand. If you had a good bunch of everything else - scoring wingers, a Norris-level D, a Vezina-level G... I still think you can have a winning team, though. So just having more of the Johansen-level centers can be sufficient if everything else is there, both quantity and quality-wise.

As usual the bar is set at superstar then complaints are based on comparisons to the exception rather than the norm. Point per game players average about one per team per season ... 20+ goal scorers are about four per team per season ... 40+ goal scorers fewer than ten league wide per season. The average #1C is well below what we complain that Joey doesn't do ... the average top line doesn't come close to what these boards rant about.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Glass is interesting because his development has been both botched and injury riddled. Can he be a top line C? Probably in the same sense that Joey was at some point. Will he be as good as some of the top end centers.... highly doubt it.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean the average 1C would be the 15th best C in the league which Johansen has never really been. At best he’s been in the 20-30 range for an individual season. This season he’s producing at the same level as Jarnkrok this season. As a team we definitely do not have a center who you could place in the top 50.

The problem is that comparing yourself to average isn’t a useful exercise because being average everywhere gets you average results which is exactly where we stand this year.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I mean the average 1C would be the 15th best C in the league which Johansen has never really been. At best he’s been in the 20-30 range for an individual season. This season he’s producing at the same level as Jarnkrok this season. As a team we definitely do not have a center who you could place in the top 50.

The problem is that comparing yourself to average isn’t a useful exercise because being average everywhere gets you average results which is exactly where we stand this year.

Comparing to average does not equate to being average ... it's possible to be above, at, or below. When comparing to only generational talents and superstars the option is always to fall short.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Rangers fan here . What’s the story on Jeannot?
I assume not available but Rangers have Kravtsov on the block likely

What about Tommasino? Change of scenery
Jeannot's shooting % not only normalized but also went the opposite direction. He's been pretty unlucky, but also is just having the same offensive struggles a lot of the team are experiencing.

I'm open to trading him but I'm sticking to the value of what he was last year rather than based on his down season--there's no benefit to us trading him cheaply, even if he's not the unicorn power forward he still contributes in the bottom 6.

No interest in trading Tomasino--it's a non-starter. No interest in Kravtsov--we already don't have top 6 spots for the likes of Tomasino and Evangelista. Our resident Georgian will probably jump all over trying to acquire him though.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We don't have anyone on board that can be a top level center but we have the base for decent group of them. Glass might become a stop gap like Joey has been but this late in his career I don't see him finding something.

That player will need to be drafted, and considering our luck on that level of forward I'm not holding my breath.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Glass is interesting because his development has been both botched and injury riddled. Can he be a top line C? Probably in the same sense that Joey was at some point. Will he be as good as some of the top end centers.... highly doubt it.
Right, I'm not saying he's going to turn into a 100+ point superstar. He very easily could still be a successful 70-80 point center between Forsberg and Duchene or Tomasino and Evangelista. If he can do that AND have a positive +/- playing against the opponents' top line he'll be better than anyone the Preds have had at center.

I see this season as his starting point in the NHL, a rookie season so to speak, not so much a continuation of his time in Vegas. That's why I'm not going to pooh pooh his development this season just because he's 24 and didn't perform up to his draft position in Vegas.

Reactions: Kat Predator

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

I mean, the rant overall is totally valid. But. Yes, I'm content with just making the playoffs. Because, again, like happened once before for us, modern hockey has a lot of parity, at least in terms of roster composition in the playoffs, and I don't see "any top team" in our whole Conference. The right team getting on the right roll at the right time can go far. But to get into that lottery, you have to buy a ticket. And that's making the playoffs.

If we decide to tear things down and rebuild, it could easily be 10 years before we make it back. That's all well and good for you youngsters, maybe, but I might not be alive to see that. So I'll take whatever slim chance I can get in the meantime. :dunno:
Not if we do a Dallas Stars or Winnipeg Jets style rebuild

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Right, I'm not saying he's going to turn into a 100+ point superstar. He very easily could still be a successful 70-80 point center between Forsberg and Duchene or Tomasino and Evangelista. If he can do that AND have a positive +/- playing against the opponents' top line he'll be better than anyone the Preds have had at center.

I see this season as his starting point in the NHL, a rookie season so to speak, not so much a continuation of his time in Vegas. That's why I'm not going to pooh pooh his development this season just because he's 24 and didn't perform up to his draft position in Vegas.
70-80 would put him solidly in the middle third of 1Cs in the NHL. And it is not easy to get there. He'd need some wingers that can put it in the net.

Fun fact: both Granlund and Johansen finished in the top 32 in terms of points last season. So they were literally both "#1" centers leaguewide by that metric. (EDM, COL, FLA were some other cases of having a couple centers in the top 32. Not bad company.)

If Tomasino doesn't get called up now he is not going too this season.
It'll be indicative of how serious Poile was when he said, "we didn't have anyone else."

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
70-80 would put him solidly in the middle third of 1Cs in the NHL. And it is not easy to get there. He'd need some wingers that can put it in the net.

Fun fact: both Granlund and Johansen finished in the top 32 in terms of points last season. So they were literally both "#1" centers leaguewide by that metric. (EDM, COL, FLA were some other cases of having a couple centers in the top 32. Not bad company.)

It'll be indicative of how serious Poile was when he said, "we didn't have anyone else."
As you say though, Sherwood has also been playing well as has Evangelista. I know everyone will lose their shit if Tomasino isn't the guy, but there probably is a realistic case for him not to necessarily be.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Or maybe Sherwood gets another run? He's lighting the lamp in the small league.
I can only imagine the amount of people losing their mind if Sherwood gets the call up over Tomasino.

Or no call up at all...
I don’t know how they can avoid a call up if Forsberg is going to be out for several games. If they don’t call up a top winger to fill in for Forsberg, then I will fall firmly in the camp of “what the heck are they doing here”.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
If the team makes a callup to play in a top 6 role the logical choices are Tomasino, Evangalista and Sherwood based on their AHL numbers this season. Another option is to put Parssinen full time in a top six role, even if on the wing, then decide between Novak as 4C or making a callup of a McCarron type to fill that bottom line role.

A lot depends on if Forsberg is day to day, week to week, or if we need Miracle Max to resurrect Fil.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Curious outsider here. Is Pärssinen playing on the fourth line? Has his play warranted the demotion or what’s going on?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Curious outsider here. Is Pärssinen playing on the fourth line? Has his play warranted the demotion or what’s going on?
He starts with that line and, like tonight, frequently gets shuffled higher. He is probably worthy of consistently playing in the top 6, but I also don't really have any qualms about him being given a sheltered role at times. He contributes and seems to do well wherever he is in the lineup currently.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Last year is the only year under Hynes that either Granlund or Joey have produced at 1C rates. Looking at their numbers over the last 3 seasons, they both fall out of the top 32 (in both points and points per game > 100 games played) but there are multiple players listed as Cs (like Duchene) that dont play C. I dont feel like sorting them but Joey and Granlund are there with Joel Eriksson Ek, Yanni Gourde, Tyler Seguin, adam Henrique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad