Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Oh it definitely won't happen til the season is over. If Poile was going to pull the trigger mid season he already would have. He will give Hynes a chance to circle the wagons.

Now if he keeps him the fans won't be happy and I think he will be on a short leash to start the next season. If he keeps him that whole season I expect Haslam to move Poile out and then fire Hynes.
I bet we keep poile until after the 25th season which is next year right? I bet they give him that milestone.

Hynes. He can leave whenever. This team can’t get much worse. We could have no coach behind the bench and be doing just as well with this group

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For better or worse this has been a pretty good night to help our playoff chances:

Flames lose in regulation
Tampa up on the AVs 5-0 late in the 3rd
Vegas up on the Wild 5-1 late in the 2nd

If all three lose, theyll all have 58 points. We have 54 with 3 games in hand on the flames, 2 on the wild, and 1 on the avs. I cant help but think we are just going to be strunf along all season and then miss the playoffs by a handful of points

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
For better or worse this has been a pretty good night to help our playoff chances:

Flames lose in regulation
Tampa up on the AVs 5-0 late in the 3rd
Vegas up on the Wild 5-1 late in the 2nd

If all three lose, theyll all have 58 points. We have 54 with 3 games in hand on the flames, 2 on the wild, and 1 on the avs. I cant help but think we are just going to be strunf along all season and then miss the playoffs by a handful of points
Avs and Wild fans seem to be about as enamored with their teams' performance as we are with ours. Sounds like 3rd place is available for somebody to accidentally back into. Flames are probably in a similar category.

So all hope is not yet lost. Could be a bit of a snail race. I wonder if any of these teams is going to try to make deadline trades to get a jolt. Of course I'm hoping we don't. But most fans of all these teams seem to hope the same thing. :dunno:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Avs and Wild fans seem to be about as enamored with their teams' performance as we are with ours. Sounds like 3rd place is available for somebody to accidentally back into. Flames are probably in a similar category.

So all hope is not yet lost. Could be a bit of a snail race. I wonder if any of these teams is going to try to make deadline trades to get a jolt. Of course I'm hoping we don't. But most fans of all these teams seem to hope the same thing. :dunno:
Yep- last night could not have gone any better- Avs/Kraken/Flames/Wild all lose in regulation. Looks like no one wants to make the playoffs- lol

The way I look at it- it appears Stars/Jets/Avs will be the top 3 in Central. In Pacific I think the two locks are probably Vegas/Edmonton. And at least for now Seattle and LA are still in decent shape.

If those 7 of those make it, it will come down to 1 spot for either the Wild/Preds/Flames- and right now all 3 of those teams are struggling

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Thats why i fear we are being strung along. Seems like a couple teams are just failing to break away from one another. If we are gonna be on the outside looking in id rather have a good pick to go with it to ease the pain.... lol.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yep- last night could not have gone any better- Avs/Kraken/Flames/Wild all lose in regulation. Looks like no one wants to make the playoffs- lol

The way I look at it- it appears Stars/Jets/Avs will be the top 3 in Central. In Pacific I think the two locks are probably Vegas/Edmonton. And at least for now Seattle and LA are still in decent shape.

If those 7 of those make it, it will come down to 1 spot for either the Wild/Preds/Flames- and right now all 3 of those teams are struggling
Logan Thompson injury for the Knights could make things difficult for them if he is out long term too.

I agree though that I think most likely its going to be a who can suck less battle between us, the Wild, and the Flames for that last WC spot. I wouldn't be too surprised if it only takes being in the low 90s in points to get into the playoffs.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Logan Thompson injury for the Knights could make things difficult for them if he is out long term too.

I agree though that I think most likely its going to be a who can suck less battle between us, the Wild, and the Flames for that last WC spot. I wouldn't be too surprised if it only takes being in the low 90s in points to get into the playoffs.
Right. The West doesn't look strong this year.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Right. The West doesn't look strong this year.
Which is why I will - somewhat reluctantly - just keep cheering for wins and to sneak into the playoffs. There is no juggernaut like last year's Avs that is a complete roadblock. There's enough hope with the West this year that just getting in is more important to me than the difference between picking 11th and 16th in the draft.

In fact, my biggest reluctance is more just that it probably means we're stuck complaining about Hynes for another year. But, sigh, I will take even that in order to get a shot at this year's Western playoff field. :skeptic:

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Which is why I will - somewhat reluctantly - just keep cheering for wins and to sneak into the playoffs. There is no juggernaut like last year's Avs that is a complete roadblock. There's enough hope with the West this year that just getting in is more important to me than the difference between picking 11th and 16th in the draft.

In fact, my biggest reluctance is more just that it probably means we're stuck complaining about Hynes for another year. But, sigh, I will take even that in order to get a shot at this year's Western playoff field. :skeptic:
Well, this might temper your excitement. Hynes' track record in the playoffs. 'Nuff said.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Good news, we make the playoffs. Bad news, Poile and Hynes still around for next year.

This is kind of where I am. If you want Hynes gone then you don't want this team to make the playoffs. And if you don't want them to make the playoffs then you're probably ok with them having a pretty terrible record the rest of the way in order to maximize the pick. Though I'm not sure we can do bad enough at this point to move around all that much.

Reactions: originalpredfan

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
This is kind of where I am. If you want Hynes gone then you don't want this team to make the playoffs. And if you don't want them to make the playoffs then you're probably ok with them having a pretty terrible record the rest of the way in order to maximize the pick. Though I'm not sure we can do bad enough at this point to move around all that much.
I do want them to win, trouble is even if they don't make the playoffs I don't think Poile would get rid of Hynes. I love what Poile did to create this Hockey Market, but unfortunately he now seems to have stagnated and needs to retire graciously and with absolutely no say on picking his successor.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I do want them to win, trouble is even if they don't make the playoffs I don't think Poile would get rid of Hynes. I love what Poile did to create this Hockey Market, but unfortunately he now seems to have stagnated and needs to retire graciously and with absolutely no say on picking his successor.
I'm not ready to believe Poile is that far gone yet. I am still disappointed that he didn't act to replace Hynes earlier this season when there still might have been time to turn things around. But I can't believe he'll keep Hynes if the team misses the playoffs. I can't.

And that's not just based on sentimental attachment to Poile either, though. I still believe he was close to letting him go after last season, and I fall back again on the evidence that he gave him the bare minimum 2-year contract extension. If he was truly bound and determined and in love with Hynes, he'd have locked him up for 4 or 5 years, without leaving him in any limbo whatsoever at the end of the year.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
This quote from a Nashville Post article will make everyone feel better (it’s behind a paywall so there’s no reason to link):

In fact, the numbers show the Predators have not only regressed offensively, defensively and in goal, but there have also been reports of Hynes potentially losing the locker room.

And yet, Poile maintains that a coaching change isn’t in the cards.

"Absolutely not,” Poile said of if Hynes’ job is in jeopardy. “I think our coaching staff does a great job. It's frustrating as to what's taking place this season but in terms of their work on a daily basis, the preparation of our team, how we want to play [they’re doing a great job].”

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
This quote from a Nashville Post article will make everyone feel better (it’s behind a paywall so there’s no reason to link):

In fact, the numbers show the Predators have not only regressed offensively, defensively and in goal, but there have also been reports of Hynes potentially losing the locker room.

And yet, Poile maintains that a coaching change isn’t in the cards.

"Absolutely not,” Poile said of if Hynes’ job is in jeopardy. “I think our coaching staff does a great job. It's frustrating as to what's taking place this season but in terms of their work on a daily basis, the preparation of our team, how we want to play [they’re doing a great job].”
I take it with a grain of salt. We don't get leaks about trades, we won't about Hynes' situation. It doesn't help the team to know Hynes may or may not be on the hot seat so all we're going to get is that "all is well" and there aren't any changes coming...until there are.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Is everyone on here just content with making the playoffs and getting beat in the 1st round? This team has shown us throughout the years that it won’t be able to take down any top team in the a seven game series. In the last 4 1st rounds exits they have won 5 games. How Poile has a job still is baffling to me. I get on here and see people still defending this guy when his teams has only made it past the second round twice in his whole career. He has the ability to build a playoff team no doubt but he doesn’t know how to take the next step. If this was a true hockey market the media would be crushing this guy’s decision to keep Hynes but not nashvilles media. They tell the fans to be quiet because our gm has more forgotten hockey knowledge than we have hockey knowledge. I haven’t been impressed with Poile at all these last few years and I’m ready to move on from him. Picking up mcdonagh was not a smart move. Now we’re cap strapped team making us already lose a former 1st rounder with a low cap hit because of it. Our defensive structure hasn’t got better. A matter fact it’s got worse with saros peppered with high danger chance after chance every game. I’m just fed up. Then we get excited when they play well and have a good 10 game stretch but let’s be honest that’s what mediocre teams do. They go on winning streaks followed by a losing streak. We’re stuck in the mushy middle. Not bad enough to get a top 5 pick and not good enough to win a round of playoff hockey. We desperately need a new voice a new philosophy and someone not stuck in the stone ages of 80s hockey. I used love watching the brutalness of hockey in the 80s but hockey now is faster and more skillful and Poile hasn’t adapted to it. I’ve noticed with most the games this season we’re not only outmatched but we are slower especially when we play a top team. Upper management has to get replaced soon. This mediocrity will start costing us fans. I’m not young anymore I been watching hockey for 30 plus years I want see my team hoist the cup in my lifetime. But the longer we keep Poile the farther we get to that reality.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is everyone on here just content with making the playoffs and getting beat in the 1st round? This team has shown us throughout the years that it won’t be able to take down any top team in the a seven game series.

I mean, the rant overall is totally valid. But. Yes, I'm content with just making the playoffs. Because, again, like happened once before for us, modern hockey has a lot of parity, at least in terms of roster composition in the playoffs, and I don't see "any top team" in our whole Conference. The right team getting on the right roll at the right time can go far. But to get into that lottery, you have to buy a ticket. And that's making the playoffs.

If we decide to tear things down and rebuild, it could easily be 10 years before we make it back. That's all well and good for you youngsters, maybe, but I might not be alive to see that. So I'll take whatever slim chance I can get in the meantime. :dunno:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

I mean, the rant overall is totally valid. But. Yes, I'm content with just making the playoffs. Because, again, like happened once before for us, modern hockey has a lot of parity, at least in terms of roster composition in the playoffs, and I don't see "any top team" in our whole Conference. The right team getting on the right roll at the right time can go far. But to get into that lottery, you have to buy a ticket. And that's making the playoffs.

If we decide to tear things down and rebuild, it could easily be 10 years before we make it back. That's all well and good for you youngsters, maybe, but I might not be alive to see that. So I'll take whatever slim chance I can get in the meantime. :dunno:
If only I was a youngster. Even if we decided to not rebuild Poile in my mind still has to go. This philosophy has die when we fire him. It’s always said that a constant 40-50 goal scorer wouldnt be that if they signed with us or we traded for him. Why is that? All you have to do is look at the man that runs this team for the answer. I never said I wanted to rebuild in my rant I said I want Poile gone and I want to see a gm come in that seems to know what kind of system we need to run these days and bring that new voice, philosophy and style. And they can bring their own coach to coach that style. Maybe doing that this team that we have right now would look better win more and compete for the cup. Because I have no faith that a Hynes coached team has a chance. And Poile hired this mediocre/bad coach so he’s got to go too.
Do see us making the cup if rinne wasn’t playing out of his mind. And can you compare the Blackhawks who was starting to decline. The blues who while good was not an elite team and an older ducks team with Colorado, Winnipeg Edmonton Vegas or Dallas? I can’t see us going no more than 6 games with any of those teams and thats more than likely who we’ll play every year barely making the playoffs in the 1st round until of course Chicago, Arizona, Anaheim passes is after their rebuild. Mushy middle with Poile

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I do wonder what our top wingers would look like if we had an equally good center to go with them. Our best center for years has been Johansen, who topped out in nashville as a mid 60 point center.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I do wonder what our top wingers would look like if we had an equally good center to go with them. Our best center for years has been Johansen, who topped out in nashville as a mid 60 point center.
That's got to be the thought behind developing Glass as a center and not moving him to wing last year or earlier this year. They want him to become a true top line center like he was drafted to be and make Forsberg and Duchene better.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
That's got to be the thought behind developing Glass as a center and not moving him to wing last year or earlier this year. They want him to become a true top line center like he was drafted to be and make Forsberg and Duchene better.
I mean no disrespect to Glass whatsoever, but... does anybody think a "true top line center" emerges this late in the game? The guys from his draft like Hischier, Elias Pettersson, Thomas, Suzuki... they're already stars with big fat contracts. Historically, the really big true top line centers are pretty much obvious from fairly early on. Glass is about to turn 24. Probably somebody somewhere in the history of the NHL has emerged as a big superstar later than this, of course (not including European imports). But it's not really something I can see in Glass? Just getting another Johansen-level player out of him, one who is younger and cheaper, is going to be a huge enough win for us, I wouldn't try setting my sights any higher than that with him.

But sort of likewise for Parssinen, Svechkov, Novak, whoever we have in the picture right now. That magical superstar center is not on hand. If you had a good bunch of everything else - scoring wingers, a Norris-level D, a Vezina-level G... I still think you can have a winning team, though. So just having more of the Johansen-level centers can be sufficient if everything else is there, both quantity and quality-wise.

Reactions: glenngineer

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Rangers fan here . What’s the story on Jeannot?
I assume not available but Rangers have Kravtsov on the block likely

What about Tommasino? Change of scenery

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Tonight is game 50 and the determining factor if the 5th ten game split finishes at or above .500 play after going 6-3-2 in the previous ten game split. The team sits 4 points out of a wild card spot with games in hand that can eliminate that gap if the boys take care of business on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad