Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
How's that?
I took it from a recent article where Trotz indicated two things. He wants to take a position where the team is built to compete with little rebuilding. He spoke of his age and no desire to coach a long period of time. I was optimistic when he bought a home in Nashville but then he did this interview limiting the number of years he wants to put in to making another run at the cup. He stated he liked the situation on the island, so it would not suprise me if he ended up back there.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I gotta hand it to Hynes on one thing - I couldn't for the life of me figure out a more efficient way to neuter Pärssinen completely.

Playing him 10-12 minutes a night with Sissons and Smith is some sort of stroke of genius.

So neutered that the 18 games up to the all star break saw him score the second highest amount of points by a Preds rookie in that length of time ... behind only Forsberg. He put up 12 points in the 13 games of January.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So neutered that the 18 games up to the all star break saw him score the second highest amount of points by a Preds rookie in that length of time ... behind only Forsberg. He put up 12 points in the 13 games of January.
Yes everyone knows Juuso has been great, which is why it makes no sense that his reward for good play has been to receive less ice time and have Smith put on his wing over Forsberg. Both Parssinnen and Forsberg have much better stats playing together versus apart. I get that Forsberg-Glass-Duchene has been good too (at least outside of last night) so there is some limitation there, but why not play Parsinnen with some other skilled wingers. We've even got a talented kid down in Milwaukee that he had some chemistry with when they played together to start the year that would be a good option too.

1675868462448.png

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It feels to me like Poile has been too patient with things like this game. A game like last night at this point in the season needs some kind of response/shakeup doesn't it? I mean, if you're serious about actually wanting to make the playoffs, anyway. If you truly don't care one way or the other, okay, that's different, but I didn't get the impression that was supposed to be the philosophy here? :dunno:

How many times is the answer going to be to just let Hynes spin the wheel on mixing up the line combos again? If that's going to be the only response to things, what even was the point in getting McDonagh/Nino/Lankinen and signing those big contract extensions for Forsberg and Ekholm and all that? If the answer is going to be to just sit back and let things play out, that's not a lot of fun for us fans. :(

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
It feels to me like Poile has been too patient with things like this game. A game like last night at this point in the season needs some kind of response/shakeup doesn't it? I mean, if you're serious about actually wanting to make the playoffs, anyway. If you truly don't care one way or the other, okay, that's different, but I didn't get the impression that was supposed to be the philosophy here? :dunno:

How many times is the answer going to be to just let Hynes spin the wheel on mixing up the line combos again? If that's going to be the only response to things, what even was the point in getting McDonagh/Nino/Lankinen and signing those big contract extensions for Forsberg and Ekholm and all that? If the answer is going to be to just sit back and let things play out, that's not a lot of fun for us fans. :(
The Tennessean ran an interview with Poile this morning and one of the questions asked was if Hynes job was in jeopardy to which Poile responded "Absolutely Not". Our only hope is that when Haslam takes over control of the team that he immediately requests Poile's retirement!

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
The Tennessean ran an interview with Poile this morning and one of the questions asked was if Hynes job was in jeopardy to which Poile responded "Absolutely Not". Our only hope is that when Haslam takes over control of the team that he immediately requests Poile's retirement!
Even if Hynes job was on the line, poile isn’t gonna come out and say it. He’s got no balls in that department. Never shows his hand for better or worse

Reactions: jumb0 and Armourboy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean that's usually the norm around all sports. Its even sort of a meme that getting a vote of confidence means you're actually close to being fired.

I would be interested to know where Poile actually does stand on Hynes though. He's definitely finishing out this season at this point, and I'd expect him back if we make the playoffs. Is being in the playoff hunt through March good enough to keep his job?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Poile’s job will not be in jeopardy until Haslam assumes majority ownership. That’s been made crystal clear.
Which is in, what, 2026 or so?

I could imagine that even while Haslam is in the phased buy-in years, his desires might still hold a lot of sway, however, since everybody else on the board is aware he's going to be majority owner fairly soon anyway? :dunno:

Either way, I can't see how Poile keeps Hynes on as coach if the team misses the playoffs. That clearly wasn't the intent heading into this season, plus Poile truly seemed unsure about retaining Hynes at the conclusion of last season's collapse also. I don't see him making the change in mid-season now, we're kind of past the point of no return (not really, but in terms of the glacial pace Poile seems to prefer), but indeed if we do miss the playoffs and he keeps Hynes anyway... I think we can at the least be within our rights to ratchet up the heat/criticism of Poile as a fanbase. Even if we don't expect that to lead to a change, our voice can still at least start to be heard. Whereas to date, it has mostly just been dismissed as "a few crackpots" anytime criticisms of Poile were leveled. But more voices could at least tip that perception.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Which is in, what, 2026 or so?

I could imagine that even while Haslam is in the phased buy-in years, his desires might still hold a lot of sway, however, since everybody else on the board is aware he's going to be majority owner fairly soon anyway? :dunno:

Either way, I can't see how Poile keeps Hynes on as coach if the team misses the playoffs. That clearly wasn't the intent heading into this season, plus Poile truly seemed unsure about retaining Hynes at the conclusion of last season's collapse also. I don't see him making the change in mid-season now, we're kind of past the point of no return (not really, but in terms of the glacial pace Poile seems to prefer), but indeed if we do miss the playoffs and he keeps Hynes anyway... I think we can at the least be within our rights to ratchet up the heat/criticism of Poile as a fanbase. Even if we don't expect that to lead to a change, our voice can still at least start to be heard. Whereas to date, it has mostly just been dismissed as "a few crackpots" anytime criticisms of Poile were leveled. But more voices could at least tip that perception.
Ownership pays no attention to the voices of the fans, they pay attention to the profit or loss of the franchise. When they start losing money, they might try to evaluate why.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Smith is a servicable bottom line player. What the coach does with the lines is beyond his control. If the coach wouldnt play him, he wouldnt be on the team. Likewise, he isnt keeping better players off the team... that once again is line decisions by the coach.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Ownership pays no attention to the voices of the fans, they pay attention to the profit or loss of the franchise. When they start losing money, they might try to evaluate why.

The current majority owner Herb Fritch has been a fan of the team since before he was an owner. Obviously not losing money is important to him, but I also think he does want the team to be successful. I think they all just have total faith in Poile to run the team as best as possible.

It will be interesting to see how Haslam runs the team. His dad and brother are certainly very hands-on owner types with the Browns and had a lot of sway on the UT athletic department's decision making until recently to the detriment of both teams.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Last night was a real low point. I sat there with the other estimated 14K fans, and cringed. By the end of the 2nd period, shots were getting cheered like goals (maybe we need Tim McGraw to record a Shot Song).

Sarcasm filled the stands. "I guess THE MEETING wore off". "Did they practice over the break?" "Arrest that guy wearing Josi's jersey and find out what he did with Roman."

Terrible is a shallow description of their play. A Scoring Touch eludes us. Everyone looked like a grinder.

The Vegas fans took over the joint. The expansion team looked like an Original Six team. How can we be so far behind them? The year we went to the SC finals, they didn't exist until the beginning of the next season. Nashville was going wild for the Preds. We were the IT NHL franchise. Everyone marveled at our passion and unique in-game atmosphere. Welcome to Smashville.

Here we sit, almost 6 years later. The arena is dead. The stands aren't filled. The team is made up of overpaid underachievers and younger bottom 6 pluggers. We're kinda fighting for the 8th seed, maybe. Hynes is our first non-top-notch coach, Poile is old and out of tricks, and we're in salary cap hell so there is no easy fix.

I'm a Day Oner and recently renewed for 3 more years. I may have made a mistake.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Last night was a real low point. I sat there with the other estimated 14K fans, and cringed. By the end of the 2nd period, shots were getting cheered like goals (maybe we need Tim McGraw to record a Shot Song).

Sarcasm filled the stands. "I guess THE MEETING wore off". "Did they practice over the break?" "Arrest that guy wearing Josi's jersey and find out what he did with Roman."

Terrible is a shallow description of their play. A Scoring Touch eludes us. Everyone looked like a grinder.

The Vegas fans took over the joint. The expansion team looked like an Original Six team. How can we be so far behind them? The year we went to the SC finals, they didn't exist until the beginning of the next season. Nashville was going wild for the Preds. We were the IT NHL franchise. Everyone marveled at our passion and unique in-game atmosphere. Welcome to Smashville.

Here we sit, almost 6 years later. The arena is dead. The stands aren't filled. The team is made up of overpaid underachievers and younger bottom 6 pluggers. We're kinda fighting for the 8th seed, maybe. Hynes is our first non-top-notch coach, Poile is old and out of tricks, and we're in salary cap hell so there is no easy fix.

I'm a Day Oner and recently renewed for 3 more years. I may have made a mistake.
16-17 Stanley cup final loss
17-18 Presidents trophy/division title/2nd round loss
18-19 Division title/1st round loss
19-20 4th central/Qualifying round loss (covid)
20-21 4th central/1st round loss
21-22 5th central/1st round loss (swept)
22-23 ???

After the stanley cup run, we had some great regular season success but coupled with diminishing post season success. Then we dropped to wild card and even less post season. Now we look to miss the post season all together after an ugly start. The team appears to be in decline and doubling down on the aging roster all while tickets get more expensive and inflation occurs making discretionary spending tight. I feel bad for those rhat spent money to see Vegas just manhandle us. I feel bad i paid Bally sports so i could watch it. At some point, ownership has to take an honest look at the team and clear direction it has been going.

Reactions: Byrddog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad