Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Typically the coach doesn't have a "turtling scheme" this team has been bad with a lead going back to the president trophy season.
Why? What are they doing differently once they get the lead? I always appreciate your insight into the X’s and O’s and would like to see what you’re seeing in their play that causes them to change lay bad with a lead?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Why? What are they doing differently once they get the lead? I always appreciate your insight into the X’s and O’s and would like to see what you’re seeing in their play that causes them to change lay bad with a lead?
A lot of times it's a simple mindset where players don't want to be the one that makes a mistake so they let off just a bit and the other team is able to take advantage of a lower amount of pressure. A defensmen loosening up his gap in the neutral zone to be "safe" would be an example but unfortunately that may be exactly the space he needs to make a play and beat the defender.

There are some players that coast because, well, because they're lazy and don't pay as much attention to defending with the lead.

There's also an element of panic that creeps in, it kinda goes with being safe but not completely. It happens a lot to the forwards, the D will win a puck, move it up to the forwards but they'll panic and not make a good play. Sometimes it's over stick handling and doing to much and sometimes it's not realizing they have time and just throw the puck somewhere they think is "safe" but ultimately give away possession.
Fans will cheer when the puck is cleared during a long Dzone possession and Willy will act happy that a forward finally got a puck over the blueline but too often it isn't a quality clear that turns into a good forecheck let alone offensive pressure. Something like a forward after failing to clear the puck a couple times will get another touch and just lofts the puck up hi in the air out to the Nzone which is great to maybe get a change but it doesn't help the flow of the game.

Granlund is notoriously bad with this sort of thing, his hustle is why a coach puts him out there a lot in those situations but his puck decisions can be mind boggling.

Some teams 100% go into a passive trap and strangle the life out of the game when they have a lead, we saw the coyotes do that Monday but Nashville doesn't. You hear the coaches and player talk about "keeping their foot on the gas" or whatever analogy about doing what was successful all game and not turtling.

We usually see a mixture of all three things bite the Preds when they get crushed during a 3rd period lead.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I'm afraid that they are going to do the same mistake with Pärssinen as they did with Tolvanen. I mean, they just can't decide whether they want him to be a top-six contributor, or a bottom-six defensive center.

So far, we've seen both sides of him and obviously he was more beneficial to us as a top-six center.
The way Hynes is currently using Parssinen is simply dreadful. The Preds aren’t going anywhere this year and he has a young, big, talented with skills kid and he’s frittering his potential away. Play him a lot with some of your skilled wingers(big assumption I know). So he makes a few rookie mistakes; so what? Not gonna cost Preds the Cup this year.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The way Hynes is currently using Parssinen is simply dreadful. The Preds aren’t going anywhere this year and he has a young, big, talented with skills kid and he’s frittering his potential away. Play him a lot with some of your skilled wingers(big assumption I know). So he makes a few rookie mistakes; so what? Not gonna cost Preds the Cup this year.
He was playing Parssinen that way when Johansen was being punished and was playing with the fourth line. Then the meeting happened and those two switches places.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

And somehow in that "frittering his potential away" resulted in the longest Preds rookie point streak and 2nd most points by a rookie in an 18 game span.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
And somehow in that "frittering his potential away" resulted in the longest Preds rookie point streak and 2nd most points by a rookie in an 18 game span.
Most of those points came when he was centering Forsberg’s line, not centering Cole smith’s line.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
So slide Glass down? You know, the guy that moved up to the top six.

There is a very simple issue at play here. Four center positions. Joey and Glass currently fill the top two. Sissons is centering the third. That leaves ....
I’m not saying to move anybody anywhere. I just pointed out that the stats you’re using come from a time when he was playing with Forsberg as opposed to where he is currently playing.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
This is pretty crazy. Forget the crazy colors (unless interested in the heat map of 5v5 unblocked shot rate) and focus on the expected goals at each score variance.

So these heat maps show that we give up a ton of high danger heat right in front of the net unless the score is even. Up or down, they're walking it in down main street.

Sort of makes sense though. We're really not good at pressuring the puck and let the opponent break the defense down. When we have a lead though, the opposition is hammering the puck from everywhere. Puck possession falls off a cliff.

Reactions: triggrman

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm just ready to see something else from this team. There are a number of trades, firings, hirings, promotions, buyouts...for all the supposed toughness and physicality and such, this team is not tough to play against and they don't outwork teams like the Preds of old did.

The problem with just buying people out is that the dead hit adds up. A hypothetical Joey buyout this offseason adds $2.67mil to the dead cap hit for four years ... concurrent with the Turris dead cap. So $4.67mil in dead cap per season for four ... a RFA middle six forward worth of dead cap before factoring in replacing Joey's typical 14-18g, 45-55a (on pace for goals, off pace for assists this sesaon). A hypothetical Duchene buyout comes with a $5.5 and $6.5 mil cap hit in years 2 and 3 of its six year span .... plus the Preds still pay the remaining signing bonuses due. A Hynes firing is rumored in the couple million of real money payout ... there isn't a CapFriendly or NHLNumbers for coaches pay to get solid numbers on what a wholesale change behind the bench costs a team monetarily.

Poile is on a one year deal, and has been for a few years now. Unless he's been doing something illegal / immoral and gets caught, he will get to retire even if the ownership is the driving factor in the decision.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
My expert analysis
PXL_20230122_003427766.jpg

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
At least I don't dislike the Kraken. BIL is a season ticket holder there and really can't wait for the scheduling gods to finally gift us with a favorable road game date up there.

Reactions: hockey diva

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Maybe it's just the copium talking but while I think the hope for this season is mostly lost I really don't think this roster is completely unsalvageable. The roster still has a perennial Vezina candidate, a perennial Norris candidate, and a top 20-30 winger to build around. Couple that with a top ten prospect pool that should improve even more this offseason. It will however take some good GMing to make it work. I've always been a Poile defender and I still think he could maybe pull it off, but I think he's so desperate to win a Cup before he retires that he's not trusting the process enough. I think we need someone like Yzerman to come in and implement a longterm plan and stick to it without trying to make quick fixes like the McDonagh trade. Maybe Poile can shift his mindset, but otherwise I'm content to see him go.

For as much talk as there is of needing high draft picks to make an elite team the Bruins disprove that. They haven't drafted above 13th since 2011 and their top homegrown players were drafted at 14th overall, 25th overall, 45th overall, and 71st overall. They have however done a great job pretty much elsewhere including their coaching moves.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Maybe it's just the copium talking but while I think the hope for this season is mostly lost I really don't think this roster is completely unsalvageable. The roster still has a perennial Vezina candidate, a perennial Norris candidate, and a top 20-30 winger to build around. Couple that with a top ten prospect pool that should improve even more this offseason. It will however take some good GMing to make it work. I've always been a Poile defender and I still think he could maybe pull it off, but I think he's so desperate to win a Cup before he retires that he's not trusting the process enough. I think we need someone like Yzerman to come in and implement a longterm plan and stick to it without trying to make quick fixes like the McDonagh trade. Maybe Poile can shift his mindset, but otherwise I'm content to see him go.

For as much talk as there is of needing high draft picks to make an elite team the Bruins disprove that. They haven't drafted above 13th since 2011 and their top homegrown players were drafted at 14th overall, 25th overall, 45th overall, and 71st overall. They have however done a great job pretty much elsewhere including their coaching moves.

I hear you, but most teams could say something very similar. The reality is no team is ever very far from being competitive, but most teams are much farther from winning a cup. Josi will be 33 to start the season. Unless he finds whatever Karlsson is drinking, his window is going to start closing. Saros absolutely is enough to keep us a rung above our reality if he's playing well, but having 1 top 20-30 winger to build around isn't a feather in any teams cap. That would just as easily fall on a list of things that frustrate me about this team.

How do you make space on this roster without simultaneously strapping yourself with replacement bad contracts or gutting your prospect pool? I think that's the question that makes this not a 1 off season turn around. The worst parts of this team are the things that are hardest to fix.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Josi will be 33 to start the season.

This is the roster killer lurking behind the bloated forward contracts. Josi, McDonagh, Ekholm are all 32-33 years old. If there is any inkling in Poile's mind that we might be headed for a rebuild he really needs to try to move one of McD (if he'll waive) or Ek out of here. He might need to do that regardless.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I hear you, but most teams could say something very similar. The reality is no team is ever very far from being competitive, but most teams are much farther from winning a cup. Josi will be 33 to start the season. Unless he finds whatever Karlsson is drinking, his window is going to start closing. Saros absolutely is enough to keep us a rung above our reality if he's playing well, but having 1 top 20-30 winger to build around isn't a feather in any teams cap. That would just as easily fall on a list of things that frustrate me about this team.

How do you make space on this roster without simultaneously strapping yourself with replacement bad contracts or gutting your prospect pool? I think that's the question that makes this not a 1 off season turn around. The worst parts of this team are the things that are hardest to fix.
Most "experts" had Boston as at best or out of the playoffs to start the season, and had Dallas completely out of the top 8.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad