Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game so I have no idea of what happened, other than the highlights.

I can tell you Lauzon is the reason for the two PP goals against. As the weak side Dman he has to account for that backdoor one-timer, in both instances he's engaged with the guy in front of the net basically leave 3 players covering 2 opponents in front of the net and 3 opponents out high passing the puck around like a game of monkey in the middle with our chaser.

Edit: Went and looked at Lauzon’s icetime and he only had 13ish minutes. That's his lowest total in two months, seems the coaches weren't happy with him either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game so I have no idea of what happened, other than the highlights.

I can tell you Lauzon is the reason for the two PP goals against. As the weak side Dman he has to account for that backdoor one-timer, in both instances he's engaged with the guy in front of the net basically leave 3 players covering 2 opponents in front of the net and 3 opponents out high passing the puck around like a game of monkey in the middle with our chaser.

Edit: Went and looked at Lauzon’s icetime and he only had 13ish minutes. That's his lowest total in two months, seems the coaches weren't happy with him either.

Yep a dot to dot pass going to a goalscorer like caufield is very bad. He's not Ovechkin but his shot needs to be respected and they didnt

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

We have had so much trouble with backdoor plays in recent years. Or maybe it only feels that way because our goalies have been so good at stopping the frontdoor ones. But then, maybe all the more reason we should have somebody paying closer attention at the back. :(

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
We have had so much trouble with backdoor plays in recent years. Or maybe it only feels that way because our goalies have been so good at stopping the frontdoor ones. But then, maybe all the more reason we should have somebody paying closer attention at the back. :(
It's been a problem for many years for sure. Different reasons at different times but on the PK it's pretty much just been a failure to shift/rotate with the puck. It had been much better as of late with the PK shutting things down but watching Lauzon stapled to that guy in front of the net and not being aware of anything else was the same issues repeating.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I'd like to bring out the dilemma Sissons brings to the coaching staff. If any of you recall our first captain was Tom Fitzgerald. Sissons and he were both the same type players. They give their all on the ice as role players, both would get excellent opportunities to score, but neither were great finishers. Hence every now and then they would score, but although their hustle would give them opportunities too often they would not capitalize. Both were excellent contributors and integral parts to the team. Putting Sissons on a line with two offensive skill players makes no sense to me. Apparently the coaching staff finally gained some reason and last night after a couple of Sissons failures to capitalize they added Duchene to that twosome. Hopefully they will keep it that way for now, and use Sissons in the role he can contribute in.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'd like to bring out the dilemma Sissons brings to the coaching staff. If any of you recall our first captain was Tom Fitzgerald. Sissons and he were both the same type players. They give their all on the ice as role players, both would get excellent opportunities to score, but neither were great finishers. Hence every now and then they would score, but although their hustle would give them opportunities too often they would not capitalize. Both were excellent contributors and integral parts to the team. Putting Sissons on a line with two offensive skill players makes no sense to me. Apparently the coaching staff finally gained some reason and last night after a couple of Sissons failures to capitalize they added Duchene to that twosome. Hopefully they will keep it that way for now, and use Sissons in the role he can contribute in.
Yes, I like Sissons a lot, and I also like him at his salary/contract, because I feel like it's worth it to pay a little premium for an essentially "perfect" bottom-6 center. So I always defend keeping him on the team instead of using him for Cap-saving purposes etc.

But. Sissons on 1st line RW is just Hynes being Hynes. Even when he has chipped in a little bit there, there's a whole lot more we could get by just having players assigned to their normal, sensible roles instead. :thumbd:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Sissons is arguably the most easily replaceable player on our roster

I agree. Glass, Novak, Parsenen (sp?), Granlund can be a center, Johansen.

I still think the team is at sell mode and if Calgary is the same at is was 3 weeks ago I would shop a Sissons + Lanky package.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Sissons is arguably the most easily replaceable player on our roster
If you insist on using him wrong, that's likely true.

He's an excellent bottom 6 center. He is a stud on faceoffs, on defense, on the PK, reading and shutting down other teams' top scorers. He's a centre who can let Josi do Josi stuff on the exchange.

If you're an idiot though, and want him to be your first line winger and score multiple goals a game, you're going to be disappointed. It's basically Lavi deciding to play Viktor Arvidsson in goal and Pekka Rinne on the 1st line level head scratching.

Putting guys in positions to nullify their strengths and accentuate their weaknesses is damn poor coaching.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
As long as Smith or Jankowski is on this roster Sissons is safe from being the easiest to replace.
Yeah I mean I wasn’t talking about 12/13th forwards wise. But yeah of course dudes who are always scratched every other game are easier to replace. I meant out of actual roster staples.

But being attached to sissons unconditionally is exactly what Hynes is doin with this roster. That’s the irony. He’s a defensive player, he isn’t Bergeron. I get it he’s a likeable homegrown player who works hard. Not hating on him at all just stating facts

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah I mean I wasn’t talking about 12/13th forwards wise. But yeah of course dudes who are always scratched every other game are easier to replace. I meant out of actual roster staples.

But being attached to sissons unconditionally is exactly what Hynes is doin with this roster. That’s the irony. He’s a defensive player, he isn’t Bergeron. I get it he’s a likeable homegrown player who works hard. Not hating on him at all just stating facts
I'd argue Granlund is just as replaceable

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Sissons moving up to the top 6 was a case of the staff trying to ride a hot hand and that hand cooling off. Sissons had a good four game scoring streak (3g, 1a) ... but that ended when the team loaded up for the road trip and the Sissons time on a higher line should have ended about with Washington at the latest.

Duchene is getting assists, but continues to struggle putting the puck in the net. Jeannot hasn't scored a goal since October ... over 75 days ago. As long as they aren't putting the puck in the net we're going to see anyone heating up getting more ice time.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

Is this accurate?

Yes. He is on a streak. If it progresses beyond a streak and becomes consistent play is the question ... and the one thing Tolvanen didn't accomplish at Jokerit or in Nashville. His best performance is 11 goals over a just over five week time span longer term .. 4 game goal streak short term before this run.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Yes. He is on a streak. If it progresses beyond a streak and becomes consistent play is the question ... and the one thing Tolvanen didn't accomplish at Jokerit or in Nashville. His best performance is 11 goals over a just over five week time span longer term .. 4 game goal streak short term before this run.
It’s not really about him. It’s about us. FYI.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
It’s not really about him. It’s about us. FYI.

It has to be about both team and player. He was among our top shot total plaers last season ... with a low percentage of conversions. He's been streaky from Jokerit through now. He's a guy that put up 6 goal months as a Pred (about 8 in 5 1/2 weeks) ... scored goals in 4 games in a row as a Pred ... also went cold for long durations as a Pred. This is the step everyone hoped he would take last season, or to start this season, but didn't materialize.

If this level of play continues long term the waiver move was, in retrospect, a bad one. If this is just another one of his short term bursts followed by months of nothingness, then it is status quo. It won't become evident until weeks of hockey go by. He's had flashes every year but they've been short lived in the past.

FYI.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
FYI, the GM, who is the leader of hockey operations of an NHL team, made an extremely weak, mealy-mouth statement that for all intents and purposes should be exhibit one for “stepping aside” at the end of this season. Even if Tolvanen never scores another goal. I would be horrified if I addressed an organizational decision in the way that he did. Saying that he was “really hoping” that Tolvanen would clear waivers??? That’s complete BS. I would never address my organization with something like “hey folks, we were really hoping that we wouldn’t look terrible to our team and guests.” I dig your contrarianism because it makes me think a little harder about sports but Poile s*** the bed on this one as both a manager and a leader (and his PR team probably ain’t digging it either).

Reactions: hockey diva

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It has to be about both team and player. He was among our top shot total plaers last season ... with a low percentage of conversions. He's been streaky from Jokerit through now. He's a guy that put up 6 goal months as a Pred (about 8 in 5 1/2 weeks) ... scored goals in 4 games in a row as a Pred ... also went cold for long durations as a Pred. This is the step everyone hoped he would take last season, or to start this season, but didn't materialize.

If this level of play continues long term the waiver move was, in retrospect, a bad one. If this is just another one of his short term bursts followed by months of nothingness, then it is status quo. It won't become evident until weeks of hockey go by. He's had flashes every year but they've been short lived in the past.

FYI.

Even if Tolvanen is and always will be a streaky player I would much rather have him on the team instead of the half dozen or so players that will never get to that level and that we should have sent down instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad