Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
The team is playing better lately, although most wins have come off of huge performances from Saros. After starting slowly, he’s now up to over 20 goals saved above expected and that’s 4th in the league. Where would this team be even with league-average goaltending let alone a bad one?

Even so, my opinion on Hynes has not changed. He’s mediocre, always been, always will be. His teams will be close to playoff race year in year out (well, again mostly because Saros has started to play Vezina-worthy again) but I believe this team could be more than that. On paper, we should be able to run with the big dogs in the division.

For me, continuing with Hynes just signals that the ownership/Poile are content with what we’re seeing on the ice. A cold streak there, a hot streak there that leads you to overall mediocrity keeping you in the playoff race artificially.
if Novak is a 50 pt ish 2nd line center and if Parssinnenn can continue the roughly .5 PPG streak then yea I agree with you

Also if Jeannot goes on a. Tear and Glass continues to progress its a good team

Basically if everyone starts firing on all cylinders there could be alot of depth to make shit happen

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
For me, continuing with Hynes just signals that the ownership/Poile are content with what we’re seeing on the ice. A cold streak there, a hot streak there that leads you to overall mediocrity keeping you in the playoff race artificially.
And that's a tough thing to accept too, since objectively it looked like Poile wanted to get better with the McDonagh, Niederreiter, Lankinen additions. And then there's his age and presumed looming retirement. One finds it difficult to imagine he can be so sanguine about the current situation. And yet apparently he can be. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And that's a tough thing to accept too, since objectively it looked like Poile wanted to get better with the McDonagh, Niederreiter, Lankinen additions. And then there's his age and presumed looming retirement. One finds it difficult to imagine he can be so sanguine about the current situation. And yet apparently he can be. :dunno:
I just feel like there is something going on, I can't imagine Poile has been that happy with how things have turned out. Maybe he has just made up his mind that he isn't going to fire coaches back to back mid season so he is just trying to do better with what is available and letting the cards ride.

I just have a hard time believing a GM who has been in the business for 40 years and never won a cup is just flippant about the situation. I think its more likely that he may be overly cautious simply because he knows his natural tendency is to push things with time running out.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I just feel like there is something going on, I can't imagine Poile has been that happy with how things have turned out. Maybe he has just made up his mind that he isn't going to fire coaches back to back mid season so he is just trying to do better with what is available and letting the cards ride.

I just have a hard time believing a GM who has been in the business for 40 years and never won a cup is just flippant about the situation. I think its more likely that he may be overly cautious simply because he knows his natural tendency is to push things with time running out.
Or he truly believes in Hynes for reasons that aren’t readily apparent to us.

Or there are some other constraints - perhaps related to the impending sale - which limit his ability to make significant changes at the present time.

Anyway I’m sure nobody is going to give us any additional information so we’ll just have to keep wondering, alas.

Reactions: Armourboy

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Reddit had a rumor of Fabbro for DeBrincat. For it to work the Sens would have to eat 2.5 million...or Sens take on another contract like Sissons

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If they are trading Debrincat its cause he won't sign so I'm not sure I would waste an asset on him unless I knew for sure you were going to get him long term.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Reddit had a rumor of Fabbro for DeBrincat. For it to work the Sens would have to eat 2.5 million...or Sens take on another contract like Sissons
DeBrincat's QO next summer is $9 mil. Unless he's willing to budge on that, I would be hesitant to make a move on him, even though I think he's a great player and definitely one we could use.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
DeBrincat's QO next summer is $9 mil. Unless he's willing to budge on that, I would be hesitant to make a move on him, even though I think he's a great player and definitely one we could use.
I wouldn't just be "hesitant"... it would be a complete non-starter for me to take him at $9M. He's a good player, but his impact on the game is purely measured in the goals he scores, in those few fractions of a second the puck is on his stick and then fired at the net. When he's scoring 40, that's significant. But this year he's on pace for under 30, and a couple years back he dipped to 18 also. I don't feel like he has firmly established himself as a $9M player, anyway. If he's not a GUARANTEED 40 goal scorer, then he doesn't do enough else to get that kind of money.

Regardless, we don't have the Cap space to take him on even at something like 8x$8M, assuming he'd take a little less for term and better weather/taxes. Moving Fabbro and Sissons wouldn't be enough. It would have to be more like Fabbro and Granlund. Plus futures. If Ottawa was even interested. And then we'd probably be back in the situation of having another good-but-not-great player locked in for 8 years at a huge Cap hit.

It would be nice if we could develop a player like DeBrincat internally. (Hello Kemell?) But I wouldn't sign him to that contract as a UFA, let alone trade assets PLUS sign him to that contract.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It seems like the Fabbro/Debrincat rumor is based on Fabbro being potentially available, Ottawa needing D, and DeBrincat possibly not signing rather than any actual insider knowledge. Given that Ottawa gave up a pretty good haul (Picks 7 and 39 this last draft plus a third in 2024) I think they either bite the bullet and overpay to keep him or will want a better haul than a Fabbro-centered package back.

Either way I agree with Porter that DeBrincat is a very good player, but not worth the contract he's going to get. Seems like he'll be a repeat of the Johansen/Duchene deals where he's being paid like an elite player while just being a very good player.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Even if they eat that salary this year, we have zero way of fitting in his qualifying offer. Itd have to be something like fabbro + Johansen/duchene/granlund + sissons for debrincat + zaitsev. We buy out zaitsev next offseason and sign debrincat for about 10M and the combined caphit is close to 13M which is about joey/duchene (8) + sissons (2.8) + fabbro (3.25ish). Using granlund would have us in further cap issues for next season. I dont see them having any intest in something like that and im not sure if wed be much better unless it was joey going out.

• Wow
Reactions: weeze

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
The summer will be a time to contemplate whether there are any bargains to be had due to Cap crunches or RFAs being let go because teams simply don't have room.

Although as usual, teams will preferentially try to dump their own bad contracts first, and plenty of teams have those. So it's also possible nothing additional becomes available.

If the Cap crunch is really that severe, though, strategic buyouts could pay off for the teams that are willing to go further down that path than has been the tradition thus far. Even with players who aren't necessarily "bad" per se, but rather are just overpaid by more than their buyout hit. Like us with Joey. He's not a bad player. But if you can get a better one (or two, or keep more important RFAs) in a depressed market by using the $5.3M of Cap you get by buying a player like him out... well that's a tool in a GM's toolbox anyway. (Not one I expect our GM to use... Joey is just an illustrative example).

Reactions: herzausstein

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I wouldn't just be "hesitant"... it would be a complete non-starter for me to take him at $9M. He's a good player, but his impact on the game is purely measured in the goals he scores, in those few fractions of a second the puck is on his stick and then fired at the net. When he's scoring 40, that's significant. But this year he's on pace for under 30, and a couple years back he dipped to 18 also. I don't feel like he has firmly established himself as a $9M player, anyway. If he's not a GUARANTEED 40 goal scorer, then he doesn't do enough else to get that kind of money.

Regardless, we don't have the Cap space to take him on even at something like 8x$8M, assuming he'd take a little less for term and better weather/taxes. Moving Fabbro and Sissons wouldn't be enough. It would have to be more like Fabbro and Granlund. Plus futures. If Ottawa was even interested. And then we'd probably be back in the situation of having another good-but-not-great player locked in for 8 years at a huge Cap hit.

It would be nice if we could develop a player like DeBrincat internally. (Hello Kemell?) But I wouldn't sign him to that contract as a UFA, let alone trade assets PLUS sign him to that contract.
Good grief; the Preds have spent their money, like it or not. They simply cannot afford him. No way!

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Nashville Predators owner Herb Fritch assesses state of franchise: 'Good but not great'

"We're good but not great," Fritch told The Tennessean. "We're trying to figure out how to get over that hump again and get back. I'm proud of the fact we've made the playoffs eight years in a row."

Fritch said he has three thoughts on what's important for the franchise: "We need to field a competitive team, and hopefully be a legitimate Cup contender," he said. "We need to be financially stable and we need to really contribute to the community."

He praised Predators general manager David Poile, whom he called "an incredible GM," along with Sean Henry, who is CEO of the Predators and Bridgestone Arena.

"Those are the guys that know the business," Fritch told The Tennessean. "We're just kind of stewards. As long as we have those guys in place, I want them to tell you how we're going to get to that point, not me do it."

Pretty much confirms what most people already know but Poile isn't going anywhere unless he wants at least until Haslam takes over.

Edit: Just realized this article is 7 months old. Saw it on Reddit and assumed it was new, but that isn't the case. Either way point still likely stands.

Last edited:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Nashville Predators owner Herb Fritch assesses state of franchise: 'Good but not great'

"We're good but not great," Fritch told The Tennessean. "We're trying to figure out how to get over that hump again and get back. I'm proud of the fact we've made the playoffs eight years in a row."

Fritch said he has three thoughts on what's important for the franchise: "We need to field a competitive team, and hopefully be a legitimate Cup contender," he said. "We need to be financially stable and we need to really contribute to the community."

He praised Predators general manager David Poile, whom he called "an incredible GM," along with Sean Henry, who is CEO of the Predators and Bridgestone Arena.

"Those are the guys that know the business," Fritch told The Tennessean. "We're just kind of stewards. As long as we have those guys in place, I want them to tell you how we're going to get to that point, not me do it."

Pretty much confirms what most people already know but Poile isn't going anywhere unless he wants at least until Haslam takes over.

Edit: Just realized this article is 7 months old. Saw it on Reddit and assumed it was new, but that isn't the case. Either way point still likely stands.
That’s the article that I’ve based my thoughts on regarding management and coaching for the organization since it came out. This team is what it is for the remainder of this s season as well as the next two. That’s when Haslam takes over and the big contracts start expiring. I will continue to hope for the best but don’t really expect much in way of major organizational restructuring until then. I suspect Poile will remain the GM and Hynes will be his coach until Haslam takes over at which point Poile will transition to another role or retire and the new GM will name his HC and start transforming the team into what he considers a contender

Reactions: cool beans

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Poile on Tolvanen:
"This could be a mistake on our part. That's on me if he turns out to be really successful. We thought we tried him in a lot of different areas, different places."

Good lord- did he actually say that out loud?

The fact that he is saying that just a couple of weeks after letting him go for nothing?? Tried him in different areas??

I am as big a Poile supporter as you will find- but maybe I am crazy but that is a bad, bad, bad look- SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad