Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I think Lauzon can be better than what we're seeing, and really might already be better than what he gets credit for. There are a lot of good parts to his game, they just get over looked because of the untimely gaffes he seems to have once or twice a period. He can hit along the boards and in open ice against the rush. He has good leverage and edge control in board battles. His decision making around the net and his net front defense (sorting out the confusion) is where I see him needing the most work.

Edit: Didn't see this before I posted.

Looks like we're thinking the same thing.

Hopefully the combination of a steady partner and not having being stuck in a pressbox rotation with Boro can help Lauzon settle his game down and progress.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Fiala has literally got 20 goals in every season since being traded besides his 1st year. By using fiala one could argue that we hold potential star forwards back from reaching their full offensive potential with the “system” we force upon them by trying to make them “complete” players

He literally grew into a 20 goal scorer while a Pred. One could just as easily argue that it took him a couple years post draft to grow into a 20 goal scorer. Funny how you bypass every other player mentioned ... the total lack of defenders in the pipeline that undermines the entire premise that the Preds are developing blueliners so well ... or that Fiala was during the Lavy years which weren't exactly known for their defensive focus. Hell, even Craig Smith became a consistent 20+ goal scorer with the Preds after his 4th round selection.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I said at the time of the trade Fabbro might be the biggest benefactor of the McDonagh trade but Lauzon might be close.

Prior to McDonagh we haven’t had a shutdown defender outside of Ekholm, and Ekholm benefits greatly by his size and reach. McDonagh reads the play. This is what Fabbro and Lauzon are both learning how to do and no better way to learn than to get to play with someone that does it consistently.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If jeannot ever going to return to a 20 goal form or was it flash in a pan?
I think he can, right now he's in his sophomore year and trying to figure out a pace he can sustain throughout a complete season but still be aggressive enough to do the things that made him successful through the first 50-60 games last year.

Or, just so I fit in around here. The team sucks because the coach sucks so we probably won't know until the coach is fired.

• Haha
Reactions: PredsV82

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Honestly I would've waived Joey over Tolvanen. I don't care that he scored last night. His penalties this season have been absolute back breakers. Dude needs to be sent a message.

Less of a chance anyone claims him too because no one has cap space. Play chess not checkers.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Honestly I would've waived Joey over Tolvanen. I don't care that he scored last night. His penalties this season have been absolute back breakers. Dude needs to be sent a message.

Less of a chance anyone claims him too because no one has cap space. Play chess not checkers.
Waiving him won't help since he won't get claimed and it will just basically hang a big sign out that we think he sucks and are desperate to get rid of him. Which tanks any other potential for moving him.

I would still try the trade with $3M retention first, at the deadline. Then contemplate the buyout. You have to waive a guy before buying him out anyway, so that's really the only time we get to the point of waivers with him. If we get there. Still 50 games to see what transpires with everything else, of course.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Eh, I don't know if it's just penny-pinching or what, but if they are off for 4 days and they want to bank whatever that pro-rates to of his Cap hit, like 2% of $750k is almost nothing on the Cap... but $15,000 is probably a pretty nice paycheque boost to a guy with an $80,000 minor league salary, so it would seem a little unnecessarily Scrooge-like to me, to a player who has performed very well during his callup.
:thumbd:

Reactions: cool beans

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Every penny at the trade deadline can pick up a player 4 times the value. eg: say you have 1.9 million of cap at the TDL which (usually) is the 3/4th mark for contracts. If, you are buying that is a single player of 7.6 million or pick up 7.6 million dollars would of cap. OR if you are selling, you can play kingmaker, eat contracts for a pick. Novak equals about $4,054 a day in cap space. Using the above metric that is $16,216 a day he is off the cap. 4 days, $64,864. By having him in Milwaukee on a paper transaction for 4 days that gives the Preds ability to act on nearly $65k worth of contract. Does it suck for Novak? Yup. For 4 days, he goes from 750K to 80K. His pay goes from $4,054 a day to around $500 a day. (for me, sure! For him, poo.)

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Or the organization could just throw a guy a bone for playing well? We can't even win against a beat up Avs team, who cares about cap space.

Every GM. Per 32 thoughts GMs WANT to make a trade but contending teams don't have the cap space to MAKE a trade

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Every penny at the trade deadline can pick up a player 4 times the value. eg: say you have 1.9 million of cap at the TDL which (usually) is the 3/4th mark for contracts. If, you are buying that is a single player of 7.6 million or pick up 7.6 million dollars would of cap. OR if you are selling, you can play kingmaker, eat contracts for a pick. Novak equals about $4,054 a day in cap space. Using the above metric that is $16,216 a day he is off the cap. 4 days, $64,864. By having him in Milwaukee on a paper transaction for 4 days that gives the Preds ability to act on nearly $65k worth of contract. Does it suck for Novak? Yup. For 4 days, he goes from 750K to 80K. His pay goes from $4,054 a day to around $500 a day. (for me, sure! For him, poo.)
Exactly. The Cap savings are utterly inconsequential and we should not be so cheap. $4054 a day compared to $500 a day is enormous for the player and nothing to the team. Just before Christmas. I deplore this unnecessary cheapness.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Waiving him won't help since he won't get claimed and it will just basically hang a big sign out that we think he sucks and are desperate to get rid of him. Which tanks any other potential for moving him.

I would still try the trade with $3M retention first, at the deadline. Then contemplate the buyout. You have to waive a guy before buying him out anyway, so that's really the only time we get to the point of waivers with him. If we get there. Still 50 games to see what transpires with everything else, of course.
I think everyone already got that when we left him exposed during the expansion draft

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think everyone already got that when we left him exposed during the expansion draft
Except he did have a nice bounce back season last year.

Now we don’t think he just flat out sucks or is worthless. Just we dare to hope maybe we’ve FINALLY developed some centres who might be able to replace him. We have never had that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad