Potential Atlanta NHL Expansion Team Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Yes, I know this well.
Then you must know they've (Disney on Ice) brought their own equipment since the renovation. Here is a news segment from 2021 where you can see it, along with the hinges on the plate/brine line covers:

I mean it's all immaterial - we're never gonna need a temporary home, but SFA can't make ice anymore.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Then you must know they've (Disney on Ice) brought their own equipment since the renovation. Here is a news segment from 2021 where you can see it, along with the hinges on the plate/brine line covers:

I mean it's all immaterial - we're never gonna need a temporary home, but SFA can't make ice anymore.

I wasn't disputing you. I've worked the ice at countless DOI shows in Atlanta over the last 15 years.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Well, if they're trucking in their own ice equipment, then it's safe to say SFA is unsuitable as a temporary venue. Not exactly a huge surprise, I suppose.

I imagine some of that stuff could be moved around and reconnected if necessary, but at this point, I suppose it's all eyes on Krause and Forsyth County.

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
Well, if they're trucking in their own ice equipment, then it's safe to say SFA is unsuitable as a temporary venue. Not exactly a huge surprise, I suppose.

I imagine some of that stuff could be moved around and reconnected if necessary, but at this point, I suppose it's all eyes on Krause and Forsyth County.
Honestly, I’m OK with that. Better to take their time to make sure everything is in place instead of rushing the process and perhaps missing something.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Honestly, I’m OK with that. Better to take their time to make sure everything is in place instead of rushing the process and perhaps missing something.
Indeed... though I would still like to see GSA receive repairs and renovations. Not necessarily with the goal of hosting a possible relocation or anything of the sort, but more because it's sorely needed.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Indeed... though I would still like to see GSA receive repairs and renovations. Not necessarily with the goal of hosting a possible relocation or anything of the sort, but more because it's sorely needed.
I was actually surprised that GSA didn't really get any money during the latest projects/developments at the Gas South District. And it definitely deserves some work because that place is always hosting something, so it's gotta be a big money maker.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I was actually surprised that GSA didn't really get any money during the latest projects/developments at the Gas South District. And it definitely deserves some work because that place is always hosting something, so it's gotta be a big money maker.
That does raise a question though... if the place is so popular, always hosting events, raking in the cash... where is it going? Why isn't the facility receiving necessary TLC?

Reactions: sneakytitz

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

That does raise a question though... if the place is so popular, always hosting events, raking in the cash... where is it going? Why isn't the facility receiving necessary TLC?
Not sure if it has anything to do with the condition, but I know there were huge plans several years ago to have the arena anchor a big mixed-use development called Revel. The developer was North American Properties, same group behind Avalon. For some unknown reason, after a year or two of marketing and hype, they pulled the plug and walked away (2019).

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
Without question. In addition to the maintenance issue with the section of end zone seats that I don't know was ever addressed (maybe it was, but I haven't heard about it), let's not forget that GSA is more than 20 years old now. That means that it's probably due for a facelift soon anyway.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Good question, because they just paid for this $79 million development with a sales tax and also said it the entire District generated the largest amount of revenue ever.

Reactions: dj4aces

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Without question. In addition to the maintenance issue with the section of end zone seats that I don't know was ever addressed (maybe it was, but I haven't heard about it), let's not forget that GSA is more than 20 years old now. That means that it's probably due for a facelift soon anyway.

It hasn't been addressed. As I understand it, the motors that extend and retract those seats needs full replacement, which will cost north of a quarter-million dollars, plus they still need to figure out a safety solution so no one else gets seriously injured by having their leg slip through one of the gaps between the sections.

The biggest recent expenditure was all new boards and glass, which went in prior to last season. They replaced the originals, which were essentially 20 years old. They have an expected life span of 7-8 years, so that was something that was critically overdue.

Last edited:

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Absolutely. Since the county is listed as the owners of the building, it really makes me wonder why they haven't bothered to spruce it up, fix/replace the motors, and engage in some of the TLC that place really needs. Take care of the arena, or sell it to someone who will.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Pagnotta put pen to paper and detailed an interview he and others had with Bettman, prior to the Rangers-Islanders stadium series game the other day.

The article starts by detailing how teams are looking at the Sharks for trade pieces, but the second part talks of expansion and that pre-game interview. Pagnotta feels that, "assuming the Coyotes get their new arena district, Utah will be Team 33 and Atlanta will be 34". He expects the timeline for going to 36 will be "sometime around 2030".

TL;DR: No real "updates" or anything, at least not tha I'm aware of, but having a writer come out and say "[city] will be [number]" starts to make things sound a little more concrete. With that said, I'm still not convinced KS&E or Forsyth County officials have an agreement that a franchise will be awarded, and I won't be swayed until I see Bettman say as much.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Adding four teams within about six or so years seems like a faster turnaround than what has been intimated before. I have little doubt that 36 teams is a goal of their's, though.
That timeline does seem a bit rushed. I'd say within ten years is more likely.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Bettman wants his final act as commissioner of the league to be formally announcing the expansion to whichever city will be #36. The dude is 71 now, so unless he's commissioner into his 80s, I think he'd like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, despite being non-committal in interviews.

Reactions: GreenHornet

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Bettman wants his final act as commissioner of the league to be formally announcing the expansion to whichever city will be #36. The dude is 71 now, so unless he's commissioner into his 80s, I think he'd like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, despite being non-committal in interviews.
Definitely agree that adding four more teams is far more optimal over 10 years rather than six, but your assessment on Bettman's thinking makes sense. At 71, I figure he has four more years tops before he retires, and possibly sooner.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I mean it's quite possible that's his thinking. But he already oversaw the league expand by 8 teams during his time in office, including seeing expansion fees go from $50 million to $650 million, and maybe one billion. His legacy in terms of expansion is pretty secure.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
"...Utah will be Team 33 and Atlanta will be 34". He expects the timeline for going to 36 will be "sometime around 2030".

Adding four teams within about six or so years seems like a faster turnaround than what has been intimated before. I have little doubt that 36 teams is a goal of their's, though.

The timeline is always WAAAAAAAAY longer/slower than we perceive it to be.

This forum was in this stage of "We know expansion to coming soon, we expect it will be Seattle & Vegas by what we're hearing" in Spring of 2013.

It was almost 3 years before Vegas was announced and 4.5 years before they started playing.
That was 4.5 years before Seattle was announced, and 8.5 years before they started playing (Yes, they were slowed to start by COVID).

In other words, 2030 wouldn't be the date we have 36 teams in the league, but the date the NHL standings have 34 teams, and they can start exploring going to 36.

(And someone bump this in six years to laugh at me if they go quicker!)

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The timeline is always WAAAAAAAAY longer/slower than we perceive it to be.

This forum was in this stage of "We know expansion to coming soon, we expect it will be Seattle & Vegas by what we're hearing" in Spring of 2013.

It was almost 3 years before Vegas was announced and 4.5 years before they started playing.
That was 4.5 years before Seattle was announced, and 8.5 years before they started playing (Yes, they were slowed to start by COVID).

In other words, 2030 wouldn't be the date we have 36 teams in the league, but the date the NHL standings have 34 teams, and they can start exploring going to 36.

(And someone bump this in six years to laugh at me if they go quicker!)

I mean... no need to laugh, IMO. We do indeed know it's coming. It seems fairly obvious that SLC and ATL are coming, so the tea leaves already tells us the *what*. We just don't know the *when*, and who actually knows when we'll find that out? Recent history tells us it'll be quite a while yet, as does conventional wisdom. But we've seen clusters of teams added at once, as well as the recent well-spaced Vegas and Seattle expansions.

In the end, time will tell, but don't expect me to laugh at you if your timeline is wrong. Hope this isn't something you were hoping for!

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Oh, I just find looking at old posts pretty hilarious.

You see posts that are like astounding in their accuracy for predicting a future of " methodical, systematic slow growth from 30 to 36 with Seattle, Vegas coming first, then Houston, another Western City and Quebec and another East city in phases 2 and 3..."

and in the very same post, something incredibly dumb in hindsight: "they won't try Atlanta again anytime soon, maybe for like teams 40-48"

(and for the record, both of things were me. I'm not calling anyone else dumb).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad