Post-Game Talk: Post-Tank Thread: Vancouver finishes w/ 3rd tank position (lottery odds in OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah.

I know pretty much nothing about Dubois, but it just seems like forwards who put up those kinds of numbers in the Q so often disappoint.

Then why do so many people bemoan passing on Ehlers?

I'll admit I bought into the "Q-is-inflated" viewpoint and further felt Ehlers numbers were inflated by sharing PP minutes with Drouin.

Look how that's turned out.

Dubois is the real deal and would have put up those numbers in any league. He's not some tiny, soft, water bug who only exploits crappy D and soft goaltending. He dominated the Top Prospects Game and has the size, power, and smarts to be an elite player in the WHL or OHL as well. The skepticism in this case is not warranted.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
First sim this season. Probably my last one too. Not sure how it gets much better than that.

it does get a little better, i just got

1. Canucks
2. Columbus
3. Arizona

no Oilers or Leafs in there always makes it a little better

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Daily Lottery Simulator, is this a thing now? I'm game.

1. Cbus
2. Edmondump
3. Laffs

Could be worse, we pick 4th and neither Leafs or Oilers get #1.

Screw it, I propose a Daily 30 Lottery Sims:

Team| 1st| 2nd| 3rd| Top 3
Toronto Maple Leafs| 9| 6| 4| 19
Columbus Blue Jackets| 4| 4| 1| 9
Edmonton Oilers| 3| 6| 2| 11
Calgary Flames| 3| 3| 7| 13
Arizona Coyotes| 2| 3| 3| 8
Buffalo Sabres| 2| 3| 3| 8
Winnipeg Jets| 2| 1| 2| 5
Ottawa Senators| 2| 0| 0| 2
Vancouver Canucks| 1| 1| 4| 6
Colorado Avalanche| 1| 1| 2| 4
New Jersey Devils| 1| 1| 0| 2
Montreal Canadiens| 0| 1| 2| 3

Not so good to us this time.

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Then why do so many people bemoan passing on Ehlers?

I'll admit I bought into the "Q-is-inflated" viewpoint and further felt Ehlers numbers were inflated by sharing PP minutes with Drouin.

Look how that's turned out.

Dubois is the real deal and would have put up those numbers in any league. He's not some tiny, soft, water bug who only exploits crappy D and soft goaltending. He dominated the Top Prospects Game and has the size, power, and smarts to be an elite player in the WHL or OHL as well. The skepticism in this case is not warranted.

Ehlers had something of a dissapointing season did he not?

Anyway, that's good to know. Thanks.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I ran it 12 times and Laffs got 1st 7/12.

That would be even worse than Edmonton IMO. Leafs this season were as blatant a tank job as I've ever seen; the lottery has failed.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

15 goals and 38 points in 72 games as a rookie isn't too bad. If thats disappointing, I'm not sure what we'd classify Virtanen and McCann's rookie seasons as.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I don't think it was disappointing, maybe compared to some of the *inflated* opinions of him that some have held (Kane comparisons, superstar, etc). Those were never realistic to begin with.

Concern with Ehlers (mine at least) was that his style and skill set was custom made for a run-and-gun junior league but less so for the pro game. Despite that he's transitioned quite well.

Dubois on the other hand is the anti-Ehlers in some ways. Big, mean, strong but also high skill and hockey iq. He is tailor made for the NHL game IMO. Watched him at the TPG and thought he looked a lot like Marian Hossa out there. Would take him in a heartbeat at 4 as a future Henrik replacement.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it.....the NHL has got its fingers crossed that Matthews goes to the Leafs....but happy with the Canucks position.....there's no way we were out-tanking the Leafs and Oilers from the very get-go....having the best lottery odds is about all you can ask for..... a much worse position would be where the Avs and Bruins are right now.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Let's face it.....the NHL has got its fingers crossed that Matthews goes to the Leafs....but happy with the Canucks position.....there's no way we were out-tanking the Leafs and Oilers from the very get-go....having the best lottery odds is about all you can ask for..... a much worse position would be where the Avs and Bruins are right now.

Just like there was no way a team with the Sedins could be a bottom 5 team?

Had we not swept the California teams at the end of the season we finish dead last.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Had we not swept the California teams at the end of the season we finish dead last.

I don't think anyone expected this management to put together a team this bad. I mean Sbisa at 3.6, Miller at 6, Dorsett at 2.6, trading for Prust at 2, Bartkowski, Sutter etc etc. Lets face it, this is a terrible roster that deserves last place.

When people asy there was no way the Sedins will let this be a bottom 5 team, I don't think they meant on hard-mode with an AHL lineup surrounding them. I think they meant if they were surrounded by actual NHL players.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

Yep, but it will be less of a sting now when we end up picking sixth rather than if we had finished last and ended up fourth which is what would have happened with this cursed franchise. It all started with the spin of the wheel in 1970.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Virtanen Boeser Baertschi on the wings and Dubois Horvat down the middle.

McCann can switch back and forth

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't think anyone expected this management to put together a team this bad. I mean Sbisa at 3.6, Miller at 6, Dorsett at 2.6, trading for Prust at 2, Bartkowski, Sutter etc etc. Lets face it, this is a terrible roster that deserves last place.

When people asy there was no way the Sedins will let this be a bottom 5 team, I don't think they meant on hard-mode with an AHL lineup surrounding them. I think they meant if they were surrounded by actual NHL players.

Maybe that's what they meant but those of us saying this team was a bottom 5 looking team back in October were saying that based on the roster we were actually seeing on the ice. So while you may have been qualifying it with "actual NHL talent", we were talking about a team with Bartowski, Prust, Dorsett, Weber, Sbisa, etc. Which was reality at the time.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Daily Lottery Simulator, is this a thing now? I'm game.

1. Cbus
2. Edmondump
3. Laffs

Could be worse, we pick 4th and neither Leafs or Oilers get #1.

Screw it, I propose a Daily 30 Lottery Sims:

Team| 1st| 2nd| 3rd| Top 3
Toronto Maple Leafs| 9| 6| 4| 19
Columbus Blue Jackets| 4| 4| 1| 9
Edmonton Oilers| 3| 6| 2| 11
Calgary Flames| 3| 3| 7| 13
Arizona Coyotes| 2| 3| 3| 8
Buffalo Sabres| 2| 3| 3| 8
Winnipeg Jets| 2| 1| 2| 5
Ottawa Senators| 2| 0| 0| 2
Vancouver Canucks| 1| 1| 4| 6
Colorado Avalanche| 1| 1| 2| 4
New Jersey Devils| 1| 1| 0| 2
Montreal Canadiens| 0| 1| 2| 3

Not so good to us this time.

Well here's mine for today it should make everyone feel better:

T9Ofzfs.jpg

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Maybe that's what they meant but those of us saying this team was a bottom 5 looking team back in October were saying that based on the roster we were actually seeing on the ice. So while you may have been qualifying it with "actual NHL talent", we were talking about a team with Bartowski, Prust, Dorsett, Weber, Sbisa, etc. Which was reality at the time.

I said this team would be bottom 5, and probably even bottom 3. I'm just attacking Y2K's post since I took it as a "the Sedins aren't good" post when in reality I don't think much could have kept this ship afloat.

Also, with Sutter, this would have been a 100 point playoff team ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad