Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
True but it does show that you're not guaranteed to played better with a rental. Look at all the teams that have made big deals at the TD in the past very few have benefited from them. Pittsburgh last year, Boston last year, etc, all made deadline deals and those deals really didn't help them out all that much. The only big trade deal that worked out was the Carter trade to LA but it was a core trade not a rental.

No one said anything about guarantees (or about rentals for that matter). With respect to Pittsburgh/Boston, the additions they made were to "put them over the top." Those trades, by definition, are only going to make you incrementally better. And a team can afford to do that when they have a bona fide shot at a Cup. That was kind of Jman's point to begin with - bubble teams benefit more from deadline additions than bona fide contenders do. I think somewhere along the line, you misinterpreted "[deadline] additions" as "rentals."

As for the Isles, I don't think the Vanek trade proves anything, other than that Snow is a moron. How you trade for a guy you don't need when you have so many other holes to begin with is beyond me, especially when they guy already publicly stated he doesn't want to waste any more of his prime wallowing in mediocrity in the standings.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If Smith is redundant so are Dekeyser and Ericsson. They're literally the exact same player.

Ericsson is the closest thing we have to a crease clearer, and I'd argue DeKeyser is the most poised guy we have back there. Smith is never big and not poised often enough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ericsson is the closest thing we have to a crease clearer, and I'd argue DeKeyser is the most poised guy we have back there. Smith is never big and not poised often enough.

Lashoff actually clears the crease very well. Though the rest of his game isn't excellent.

Dekeyser and Ericsson are the same in my eyes, in the sense they are both generally solid in their own end, but are complete non-factors in the offensive zone or on the PP.

Smith is one of the few guys that generates offense at ES. Him and Kronwall is pretty much it.

KoopaTrouba

Nov 15, 2013
So I saw this posted on the Jets board. I assume it puts a value on players that have been injured and their salaries and such… Anyways its proof I guess of how the wings have been bit by the injury bug this year, especially among key players.

BgDW91OIgAAUXIM.jpg-large.jpeg

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Lashoff actually clears the crease very well. Though the rest of his game isn't excellent.

Dekeyser and Ericsson are the same in my eyes, in the sense they are both generally solid in their own end, but are complete non-factors in the offensive zone or on the PP.

Smith is one of the few guys that generates offense at ES. Him and Kronwall is pretty much it.

I agree with you on all of your points, really. Losing Smith would be tough, especially after all of the liver punishment and hair loss we've endured watching him play with Kyle Quincey over the last couple seasons. Just when he is finally putting it together (seemingly) we would choose to move him. I just see him as a guy who will always live and die by the sword, and never be 100% polished. Not that that is a bad thing. Rafalski was good for one disastrous turnover a game, more or less. But his positives outweighed his negatives for the majority of his time as a Wing. I just don't see the rest of the team being able to make up for that anymore. And I don't see Smith as being as offensively potent/ capable as Rafalski.

And he obviously has more value than Kindl, Lashoff, Almqvist, and Quincey. That would be the main reason for trading him. Not that I think he is useless or even more bad than good. Just that, we could patch our blue line in the mean time and still be developing guys who could replace pieces of his presence on our team. I have no doubt Sproul would be an even more exaggerated version of Smith, in that he is productive offensively at the cost of his defensive awareness. I am just hoping it doesn't come down to having to waive a guy like Almqvist/ Lashoff/ whoever and lose them for nothing. That is foolishness. We've already seen that episode, time to change the channel.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So I saw this posted on the Jets board. I assume it puts a value on players that have been injured and their salaries and such… Anyways its proof I guess of how the wings have been bit by the injury bug this year, especially among key players.

View attachment 70659

The pink not in the key is long-term LTIR, i.e Pronger, Ohlund, and Savard (assuming that is the light blue on Boston).

But worth noting Pittsburgh has Vokoun's chunk out if I am looking at this correctly, Anaheim has Souray, and Carolina has Pitkanen. Player that were basically ruled out for the season with plans involved.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
That's a very weird rationale. Edler averaged 0.65 PPG as a 24 year old! He averaged 0.60 as a 25 year old when the Canucks were in their prime before the wheels fell off. His numbers are depressed by the general suck that is the Vancouver franchise over the past couple seasons.

His numbers were inflated by playing with the Sedin twins, who were for some time offensively unstoppable in a way that Datsyuk and Zetterberg never have been. Whatever the case, he's not able to generate offense on his own. That sets him apart. Kronwall has managed to do quite well on a team that often lacks offense; Edler cannot do the same.

Schneider had a gawd awful plus minus in 1995-96. How is that any different from Edler on this Canucks team Torts is running into the ground?

Schneider garnered a -18 on one of the worst teams in the league. That Islanders squad went 22-50-10, a record whose pure awfulness even this season's abysmal Sabres are unlikely to match. The Canucks are currently 27-24-9, have only one less point than the Red Wings and only a slightly lower goal differential, and are still in the playoff hunt in an ultra-competitive conference. The two are, in short, incomparable; despite this, Edler is on pace for a -35 season total, nearly twice as bad as Schneider's worst. Also of note is that Schneider managed to put up 47 points on that horrific team. Edler is on pace for 23.

I'll note once again that a -23 is atrocious no matter who you are. It's a number that suggests serious problems for any player, and it gives absolute lie to the notion that Edler is a legitimate top-pairing defenseman. More, none of Vancouver's other top-four D-men is even close; two (Hamhuis and Bieksa) are positive in that category, and Garrison is only a -4; this suggests that the problem is more Edler and less the team that he plays on. Edler is currently 4th-worst in the league in +/-, and the only players worse than him in this regard play for the Sabres or the Oilers, teams incomparably worse than the Canucks.

Rafalski didn't make it to the NHL until he was 26 and played on a very good New Jersey team so his number were never depressed the way Edler's have been.

The Devils teams upon which Rafalski played were all good, yes. That said, the Devils of that age played a thoroughly defense-focused system, and point totals amongst the players tended to be fairly low. Rafalski nonetheless put up very good numbers, and was the Devils' top-scoring defenseman in five of his seven seasons with the team; in four of those, he outscored Scott Niedermayer, his hall-of-fame teammate. He accomplished this whilst playing ably in his own end.

More, see above: Vancouver is currently an average team, not a horrible one.

Do you honestly think either Schneider or Rafalski are defensive defensemen? They had very long careers due to their contributions on offense.

Both were excellent at offense and fairly good at defense. Edler is neither of those.

Edler's a guy just entering his prime who you could probably get for a good price given the tire fire the Canucks have become.

Gillis is not known for pulling off blockbusters, and is known for being obstinate to the point of futility; this is why he failed to move Luongo, and why he failed to move Edler this past summer. He asks for far too much. More, the Red Wings undoubtedly do not need another leftie defenseman who cannot play defense.

Holland fielded and rejected a fairly absurd offer from Gillis over the summer.

He would be a consistent 50+ point producer in Detroit.

That's utter and arbitrary conjecture.

Defensive defensemen are a dime a dozen, it's the offensive defensemen who are difficult if not impossible to acquire.

Solid defensive defensemen are most certainly not a dime per dozen, else the Red Wings would have more than one of them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just see him as a guy who will always live and die by the sword, and never be 100% polished. Not that that is a bad thing. Rafalski was good for one disastrous turnover a game, more or less. But his positives outweighed his negatives for the majority of his time as a Wing. I just don't see the rest of the team being able to make up for that anymore.

As do I, but if he is .5 ppg then I don't care. We don't have the team to make up for it anymore, but at the same time we don't have a ton of options for defenseman that can be .5 ppg players either. So you take the good with the bad IMO.

And he obviously has more value than Kindl, Lashoff, Almqvist, and Quincey. That would be the main reason for trading him. Not that I think he is useless or even more bad than good.

No argument here. Again just concerned with who his replacement is, or would be.

Just that, we could patch our blue line in the mean time and still be developing guys who could replace pieces of his presence on our team. I have no doubt Sproul would be an even more exaggerated version of Smith, in that he is productive offensively at the cost of his defensive awareness.

Yup, he would be. So maybe Sproul could make Smith expendable eventually. But again I think Sproul is a ways away still, and I think Smith is not that far away from being a productive Offensive D in the right circumstances. But I think we have the defensive guys (Ericsson, Dekeyser, eventually Ouellet) to make it work anyway.

Maybe something like a future corps of

Kronwall-Free Agent
Ericsson-Smith
Dekeyser-Sproul

Ericsson and Dekeyser paired with Smith and Sproul to offset their lack of D.

I am just hoping it doesn't come down to having to waive a guy like Almqvist/ Lashoff/ whoever and lose them for nothing. That is foolishness. We've already seen that episode, time to change the channel.

If we waived either of those guys I wouldn't even bat an eyel lash. But if we don't have room for a guy like Sproul, Ouellet, Backaman, Marchenko, than I am a little concerned.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I'd like to see Almquist given a shot next season. The Wings dearly need a 2nd-unit PP quarterback, and DeKeyser simply ain't that.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'll note once again that a -23 is atrocious no matter who you are. It's a number that suggests serious problems for any player, and it gives absolute lie to the notion that Edler is a legitimate top-pairing defenseman. More, none of Vancouver's other top-four D-men is even close; two (Hamhuis and Bieksa) are positive in that category, and Garrison is only a -4; this suggests that the problem is more Edler and less the team that he plays on. Edler is currently 4th-worst in the league in +/-, and the only players worse than him in this regard play for the Sabres or the Oilers, teams incomparably worse than the Canucks.

i'll note, once again, to this and this and this.

some stats have changed a bit as he's played few game since then. but the point stands.

there are reasons to be concerned with edler; reasons to think that he's not the best fit and not worth the price. but his +/- this year is not one of them. unless one believes he's medicore AHLer. and players like lashoff are better at controlling on-ice sh%. in scoring chance situations, he has twice the on-ice sh% edler does. maybe edler's on-ice sh% is just randomness then?

edler's on-ice sh% in scring chances is not even half of what it is for the canucks when he's on the ice. and there's no way that can be on him. it's not that he's not doing his part of offense as they are getting chances but they aren't going in. it's not on edler that his forwards can't finish. and that's the biggest thing why his +/- is that bad.

moreover, there have been few dman who have been in similar situation like edler is now. all bounced back (in +/-). no one has had as bad on-ice sh% long-term (for many seasons).

and if edler couldn't generate offense, there probably wouldn't be only 4 dman this season that have scored higher % of goals for their team, when they've been on the ice? 5on5 numbers. edler has a point on 53.3% of goals that the canucks have scored when he's on the ice. only 5 dman this season have more. if edler can't drive offense, there quite many dman in NHL that can't, no (erik karlsson being one of them)?

i wouldn't pay the price that canucks fans want for edler; his first pass, hockey sense and skating aren't at the level that i would consider ideal fit.

Detroit Sports*

Just saw the Blues are shopping Chris Stewart.I would be interested, decent scorer, gritty ,pretty young and RIGHT handed shot something we severely lack. What's a good offer?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No one said anything about guarantees (or about rentals for that matter). With respect to Pittsburgh/Boston, the additions they made were to "put them over the top." Those trades, by definition, are only going to make you incrementally better. And a team can afford to do that when they have a bona fide shot at a Cup. That was kind of Jman's point to begin with - bubble teams benefit more from deadline additions than bona fide contenders do. I think somewhere along the line, you misinterpreted "[deadline] additions" as "rentals."

As for the Isles, I don't think the Vanek trade proves anything, other than that Snow is a moron. How you trade for a guy you don't need when you have so many other holes to begin with is beyond me, especially when they guy already publicly stated he doesn't want to waste any more of his prime wallowing in mediocrity in the standings.

I will help clear up a few of your misconceptions.

1. Yormark and Wang both gave
interviews between last spring and summer, saying the isles would need star power to compete for tix buyers in Brooklyn. Cap floor isles are getting a much stronger lease with the Brooklyn move and considerVanek to be elite.

The stats bare this out. Tavares and Okposo are both on pace for career highs, with Tavares at better then a ppg pace and Okposo on a ppg pace.

2. Isles are building around mostly homegrown youth, with a few traded players and ufas tossed in. There some magical way to make 20 yr old Strome , 19 yr olds Reinhart/ Pulock/Polka NHL ready this yr? Nah? Then I guess the isles will have to wait for them to reach the NHL club alongside 23 yr old Tavares, 25 yr old Okposo , 23 yr old Harmonic and 22 yr old CDH.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to see Almquist given a shot next season. The Wings dearly need a 2nd-unit PP quarterback, and DeKeyser simply ain't that.

Still the same plan. Trade Kindl for a veteran defensive D (to replace Quincey) and replace Kindl on the 2nd PP with Almquist.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I will help clear up a few of your misconceptions.

1. Yormark and Wang both gave
interviews between last spring and summer, saying the isles would need star power to compete for tix buyers in Brooklyn. Cap floor isles are getting a much stronger lease with the Brooklyn move and considerVanek to be elite.

The stats bare this out. Tavares and Okposo are both on pace for career highs, with Tavares at better then a ppg pace and Okposo on a ppg pace.

2. Isles are building around mostly homegrown youth, with a few traded players and ufas tossed in. There some magical way to make 20 yr old Strome , 19 yr olds Reinhart/ Pulock/Polka NHL ready this yr? Nah? Then I guess the isles will have to wait for them to reach the NHL club alongside 23 yr old Tavares, 25 yr old Okposo , 23 yr old Harmonic and 22 yr old CDH.

I don't see how these address any "misconceptions" you claim I had. It has nothing to do with "star power" or being able to pay big money - it has everything to do with the fact that Vanek has gone on record saying he doesn't want to sit through any rebuilds and wants to play for a contender now. The Isles aren't that. They're barely a playoff team on a good day. That doesn't mean they won't be next year and won't be ready to compete for the Cup in a few, but it isn't now.

As for what might draw ticket buyers after the move, I'd wager that its a hell of a lot more important to be a winning team than it is to have star power - which is essentially part of the trade off Snow made when he spent assets on a star he didn't really need while turning a blind eye to his defense - especially since the Isles already had one of the bigger names in the game with Tavares.

Also, its great that Tavares and Okposo are having career years and that Vanek has fit in so well with them. Is it overcoming the Isles woes in net and in goal? No.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't see how these address any "misconceptions" you claim I had. It has nothing to do with "star power" or being able to pay big money - it has everything to do with the fact that Vanek has gone on record saying he doesn't want to sit through any rebuilds and wants to play for a contender now. The Isles aren't that. They're barely a playoff team on a good day. That doesn't mean they won't be next year and won't be ready to compete for the Cup in a few, but it isn't now.

As for what might draw ticket buyers after the move, I'd wager that its a hell of a lot more important to be a winning team than it is to have star power - which is essentially part of the trade off Snow made when he spent assets on a star he didn't really need while turning a blind eye to his defense - especially since the Isles already had one of the bigger names in the game with Tavares.

Also, its great that Tavares and Okposo are having career years and that Vanek has fit in so well with them. Is it overcoming the Isles woes in net and in goal? No.

Isles did not acquire Vanek, hoping for one yr. Barclay's execs and Wang wanted him because he is elite and they wanted another tix draw going into Brooklyn.
Isles have offered $50m, over 7 yrs. The press is saying Molson is likely to get $6m per as a UFA.

I would rather pay Vanek $7m, then Moulson $6m.

Did Snow crap the bed not upgrading on 37 yr old Nab by? Yeah he did. Fortunately, it is another crowded goalie market this summer, with goalies looking for starter spots.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Isles did not acquire Vanek, hoping for one yr. Barclay's execs and Wang wanted him because he is elite and they wanted another tix draw going into Brooklyn.
Isles have offered $50m, over 7 yrs. The press is saying Molson is likely to get $6m per as a UFA.

Did Snow crap the bed not upgrading on 37 yr old Nab by? Yeah he did. Fortunately, it is another crowded goalie market this summer, with goalies looking for starter spots.

Unfortunately it was never realistic that he would sign as people told hopeful Islanders fans when the deal went down and continue to tell them today with even more ammunition as Vanek has shot down any notion of an extension publicly.

I know you have been very vocal that they stand a chance at him. They really don't though, if he wanted to sign for ridiculous money and term with an organization without a very good reputation in the league he would have done it in Buffalo (where it is reported he turned down a deal that would have made him one of if not the very top paid player in the league) or will with Florida come July 1st.

They might have felt they needed to do it, but once again it was another rather silly move by Wang and company that proved why the rest of the hockey world makes fun of them a lot and why they probably don't have a very good reputation with players.

Will say the news of chasing Miller makes a lot more sense. Though he supposedly wants to go West, his actress wife can live in New York and he would probably enjoy that spotlight. Vanek was always going to be a next to impossible sell, they blew it in their assessment on him and will pay the price.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we waived either of those guys I wouldn't even bat an eyel lash. But if we don't have room for a guy like Sproul, Ouellet, Backaman, Marchenko, than I am a little concerned.

I think we can both agree that losing them to another team on waivers wouldn't be a big deal, but in a perfect world we get at least something for them. Not that it would be worthy of "OMG Holland you friggin' dropped the ball and now look at what you've done!!!" just that, we've kept redundant pieces at our detriment in the past (IIRC Lebda + Chelios over Quincey, ends up costing us a 1st rounder in the future to replace that player's presence in our organization)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

And that's what was so stupid about the trade. What more did Vanek have to do to show Snow that he had one goal and one goal only: to go to a contender? Vanek came out and said it publicly. He turned down big money from Buffalo. Snow thinking the Islanders had something that Buffalo didn't is akin to a 400lb guy thinking he could land the super model that his 450lb friend just stuck out with.

Its an even crazier notion when you realize that Minnesota and Vanek are primed for the perfect marriage come off-season. Minny even has Heatley keeping Vanek's cap space warm as we speak.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nobody really names one. They just say what we should do, and then get all upset when Holland doesn't land one, even though no such assets were actually available.

I did last year.

Jay Boumeester. Only time I have pulled for Holland to trade for a specific player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad