Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crashman

I know I'm jumping the gun on Zetterberg's injury timetable, but if he's done for the season, it will make the Wings trade options a lot easier. It would be a bad move to trade for a rental (if Z is DFS), but it would allow us to take on a big contract without having to dump a bunch of salary (i.e. Quincey/Samuelsson). If Z goes on LTIR, it would make a trade for Brian Campbell or Edler a lot easier.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The trade pool seems thin on defense. The Red Wings have some interest in Andrew MacDonald of the Islanders, who leads the league in blocked shots, has 24 points in 60 games and makes the minimum ($550,000). But I don’t think they’d be willing to relinquish a lot for a rental. Other teams will offer more.

what is it with red wings and kyle quincey type of players?

I doubt the Red Wings will become sellers. There are only three games remaining before the trade deadline and even if the Red Wings gained no points in those games they probably still would be in the playoff race, not too far out of the eighth spot. At least not that far out that they would wave the white flag with 21 games still remaining (after the deadline).

They have two impending unrestricted free agents for whom they could get high picks – Daniel Alfredsson (who has a full no-movement clause) and Kyle Quincey (defensemen are at premium, especially this time of year). But I don’t see them dealing either.

The playoff streak means a lot to the organization. As daunting a task as it would be to make the field without Zetterberg, they’ll do what they can, within reason, to keep the streak intact.

some confirmation from khan. makes sense.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_ask_ansar_questions_15.html

I know I'm jumping the gun on Zetterberg's injury timetable, but if he's done for the season, it will make the Wings trade options a lot easier. It would be a bad move to trade for a rental (if Z is DFS), but it would allow us to take on a big contract without having to dump a bunch of salary (i.e. Quincey/Samuelsson). If Z goes on LTIR, it would make a trade for Brian Campbell or Edler a lot easier.

to get campbell or edler, 1st rounder would have to be involved, most likely. i wouldn't trade it if zett is out long-term.

i'd only think about moving it at the draft, tbh.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Do we have a list if which teams are selling and/or which players are available? Don't think we have what it takes to make the playoffs without Z and an injured Pav, but we got an overflow of prospects to dangle.

Volchencov would be intriguing, although I am not familiar with his play of late.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
While I would love elder or Campbell, I feel we need a big brad Stuart esque player and not a PMD, we have plenty of those in the system.

crashman

what is it with red wings and kyle quincey type of players?

some confirmation from khan. makes sense.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_ask_ansar_questions_15.html

to get campbell or edler, 1st rounder would have to be involved, most likely. i wouldn't trade it if zett is out long-term.

i'd only think about moving it at the draft, tbh.

To each his own, I honestly couldn't care less about draft position, not while we still have a competitive team. If we are picking in the top 3 or 5, then I might care. I'm also fine giving up a 1st for a player like Campbell or Edler, we already have a bunch of good prospects that aren't too far off already.

While I would love elder or Campbell, I feel we need a big brad Stuart esque player and not a PMD, we have plenty of those in the system.

I'd be fine with either a PMD or a defensive, crease clearing d-man. I would have mentioned Girardi, but I don't think it's worth trading for a UFA. We just need help on defense if this team wants to be a contender next season. Sproul and/or Ouellet aren't going to step in next season and make a big difference like a good vet could.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'm fine with giving the first for edler but i'd wait until the draft just in case that some player that wings would really like would be available. mainly, high end center. and that pick could fairly easily be top or as high as 6th as henkka has showed, wings aren't that far off.

i do agree that wings need to add on D if they want to seriously become cup contenders again. forwards might cut it, D, absolutely not.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
i'm fine with giving the first for edler but i'd wait until the draft just in case that some player that wings would really like would be available. mainly, high end center. and that pick could fairly easily be top or as high as 6th as henkka has showed, wings aren't that far off.

i do agree that wings need to add on D if they want to seriously become cup contenders again. forwards might cut it, D, absolutely not.

Trade for defence to help long-term problems would be reasonable. But not for our 1st. Anything else.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I agree that if the Wings make a trade, it ought to be around the draft. Too much is made around the deadline of the pressure to make a move for your team, and that inflates asking prices. It's better to wait and just do value for value in the offseason.

Thankfully, it seems like Kenny is refusing to make a bad move for the sake of it. He's not going to put the playoff streak on life support just for vanity reasons. Gotta do what's right for the team and for their asset value.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
If any trade is made, it should be to acquire a true #1 Dman so the rest of the D-corps can slot where they should be. Whether that happens at the trade deadline or the draft, it should only be done with an eye on the long-term future and NOT simply for this season's playoffs. This season's playoffs are only important for keeping the streak alive, just like last year the Wings aren't going anywhere once they get in, so focus on strengthening the D for the future.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If any trade is made, it should be to acquire a true #1 Dman so the rest of the D-corps can slot where they should be. Whether that happens at the trade deadline or the draft, it should only be done with an eye on the long-term future and NOT simply for this season's playoffs. This season's playoffs are only important for keeping the streak alive, just like last year the Wings aren't going anywhere once they get in, so focus on strengthening the D for the future.

Who is a true #1 defenseman that would be available? Why would someone trade a true #1 unless they are getting a king's ransom in return?

J-Bo was a top pairing D that got moved recently and he would have probably cost 1st (Mantha) + Jurco + Mrazek. So **** that. And his value wasn't even that high since he had a bunch of lackluster seasons in CGY.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Who is a true #1 defenseman that would be available? Why would someone trade a true #1 unless they are getting a king's ransom in return?

J-Bo was a top pairing D that got moved recently and he would have probably cost 1st (Mantha) + Jurco + Mrazek. So **** that. And his value wasn't even that high since he had a bunch of lackluster seasons in CGY.

Well apparently the offer we gave them was Sheahan+Jurco+2nd though I find it hard to believe they would say no to that & instead go with a 1st+2 B-/C prospects. Had we offered that we likely get by Chicago & our 1st is in the 26-30 range.

I think what we may have offered was Sheahan/Jurco+2nd as that seems much more reasonable than both of them.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
If a trade is made, that's what I would prefer it to be. If, as you surmise, one isn't available or doesn't make sense then stand pat. My point is that there is no sense making a trade for a rental player for this season. No point at all.

If the Wings feel that their kids have shown enough that they can make significant upgrades for the remainder of the year and into next, then do that. Maybe Sproul or Oullet can be the Wings young, stud dman thus negating a need or a trade?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Brian Campbell for a rebuild reasons.

We could a package of defensive prospects (imo Florida is lacking them) and winger prospects (Florida is lacking also them).

They kind of have a prospect core:

Huberdeau - Barkov - ???
Howden - Bjugstad - Grimaldi
??? - Trocheck - ???
??? - Shore - Hayes

Kulikov - Gudbranson
Olsen - Petrovic
Matheson - ???
Robak

Markström

Last edited:

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Trade for defence to help long-term problems would be reasonable. But not for our 1st. Anything else.

Curious to see how much you value Mantha

To Detroit
Jon Merril tedenby/Josefson(I know you love your swedes) and a 4th
To NJ
Anthony Mantha
If not Devils would take a run at one of these guys for Nyqvist, Tatar, and Jurco

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Curious to see how much you value Mantha

To Detroit
Jon Merril tedenby/Josefson(I know you love your swedes) and a 4th
To NJ
Anthony Mantha
If not Devils would take a run at one of these guys for Nyqvist, Tatar, and Jurco

If there's trade, it should upgrade the defence immediately. Like Andy Greene. Merrill does not do that. We have defensive prospects. We also have homegrown guys like Tedenby and Josefson coming.

1st line center prospect
or
Current NHL TOP4 defenceman are those real needs.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Brain Campbell is not the kind of D the wings need, IMO. Too new he is not a number one. The wings need scoring. A Bobby Ryan type but none like that seem available. Maybe Edler. Boyes does nothing for this team. Edler or stay put...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i've said this before but if i'm dale tallon, i'm not trading campbell.

unless i get offer i can't refuse. younger player of similar potential has to be coming back.

panthers don't need prospects or picks. they have them. they need players who can win games, now. brian campbell is that. campbell could easily play at fairly high level for another 3-5 years or so.

otherwise they'd be going the edmonton oilers route. tallon didn't do that mistake with chicago; doubt he does it now.

rebuilding teams shouldn't trade players like campbell anyway, unless it hurts their tank, they can't keep them, or they get insane offer.

tallon's clock is also running, i think. he's on year 4 of 5 year plan, i think. has only made playoffs once.

i think panthers are team to watch next year. they need scorers. some guys to play with bjugstad and barkov and maybe one top 4 D there (might already have one in their pool). i've seen lot of mentions on their board how they are willing to trade that pick they have this year for a proven player. makes sense imo.

panthers are actually pretty good 5on5 team. they just haven't been able to finish and G has also been little subpar. and special teams that are almost hilariously bad. those things they gotta fix. but their young players have looked pretty promising. huberdeau also should break out soon.

i think they are team to watch next year. reportedly, tallon has finally been given green light to spend to the cap. we'll see.

i would like to get campbell but i don't think it happens on a realistic proposal.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
If there's trade, it should upgrade the defence immediately. Like Andy Greene. Merrill does not do that. We have defensive prospects. We also have homegrown guys like Tedenby and Josefson coming.

1st line center prospect
or
Current NHL TOP4 defenceman are those real needs.

Greene for Mantha may work but not sure you might need to add like Kindl for cap purposes

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Except Kronwall is a top defenseman... The kind of company Kronwall is in among offensive numbers is remarkable. I know the grass is always greener around here, but he's ahead of guys like Suter, Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk, etc. in points. And keep in mind, he doesn't shoot nearly as much as these guys.

Am I saying he's on par defensively with the likes of Suter? Weber? No. But I honestly want to hear why he's not a #1. I always ask, and nobody seems to answer. He's efficient at every aspect of the game and that's exactly what you ask from your top guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well apparently the offer we gave them was Sheahan+Jurco+2nd though I find it hard to believe they would say no to that & instead go with a 1st+2 B-/C prospects. Had we offered that we likely get by Chicago & our 1st is in the 26-30 range.

I think what we may have offered was Sheahan/Jurco+2nd as that seems much more reasonable than both of them.

The alleged deal included 2 prospects so I think the last part is for sure false.

Also getting bouwmeester changes everything so hard to say he would for sure change our pick to 26-30 range. We were very lucky to get as far as we did.

Also it was document they weren't willing to take any pick lower than a 1st.

Would have been at the minimum 1st + Jurco + other prospect for Bouwmeester based on the reports after the fact.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Hard no on that.

Wings should not trade Mantha or any of the other top forwards unless it is in a package for bonifide number 1 or top goal scorer. None of those are available so I would like to keep those guys and see how they turn out. Andy Greene while good would not make or brake the Wings in the playoffs this season and he is a top four not a number one IMO!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Except Kronwall is a top defenseman... The kind of company Kronwall is in among offensive numbers is remarkable. I know the grass is always greener around here, but he's ahead of guys like Suter, Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk, etc. in points. And keep in mind, he doesn't shoot nearly as much as these guys.

Am I saying he's on par defensively with the likes of Suter? Weber? No. But I honestly want to hear why he's not a #1. I always ask, and nobody seems to answer. He's efficient at every aspect of the game and that's exactly what you ask from your top guy.

he's #1 but i get why people would say he isn't 'true #1'. but there are like 10 of those in the whole league. similar thing with centers.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Kronwall can not dictate the pace of a game the way a Doughty, Chara, Weber or Keith can. Those are true #1 Ds. Every team has a #1 D on their depth chart, but not all of those are true #1s. To be a true #1 at any position, would mean that that player could go to any other team in the league and arguably be that team's #1. It's not about points, its about being able to control the way the game is being played while that player is on the ice. Z and Datsyuk can do that at the forward position. Kronwall, while a very good dman, can not control a game on the defensive side.

Now, is a guy like that available? Probably not. Do the Wings have prospects coming up that may turn into that? Fingers crossed. Most likely, there is not a reasonably priced Dman out there that would significantly help the Wings compared to the price that would be necessary to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad