Management POHO Staios/GM D̶o̶r̶i̶o̶n̶/Front Office Thread - Part X [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There's no singular cause to the team losing. But losing with a good player holding out, when the team is likely going to be fighting tooth a nail for a wild card spot, reflects terribly on management. You need to put yourself in the best possible position, and Dorion isn't doing that.
I don’t disagree that it would be nice if he was playing, nor do I care to defend Dorion.

I’m just saying that Pinto is no saviour right now. He’s a young player that needs development time, and needs the better players to carry the team while he continues to learn how to play in the NHL.

It’s his own fault that he’s holding out, we do have the space to offer him a reasonable deal in my opinion, he just wants more, which we don’t have regardless of whether he thinks he deserves it or not.

So he sits, and we all wait.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Is this post from 2018?
smashing-alarm-clock-bill-murray.gif

Reactions: Bileur

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Have we had enough of Dorion yet?
The GM is not the pertinent problem at this time….the current head coach has seemingly hit his ceiling, and has yet to show that he can break through and motive this team to follow the game plan to the tee. Sure we can disagree on the game plan, but when players get distracted by a returning player that the fans voice their displeasure towards him, and they go off the plan to “mix it up” with him, or go out of their way to deliver a “shot” at him…. Clearly they’re being selfish and playing to the fans.
So you would expect a better performance in the next game, and they fall flat, fall behind, and cannot get back into the game.

then after each of these games you hear the same blah blah blah from the coach.

Surely he must know he is on thin ice?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The GM is not the pertinent problem at this time….the current head coach has seemingly hit his ceiling, and has yet to show that he can break through and motive this team to follow the game plan to the tee. Sure we can disagree on the game plan, but when players get distracted by a returning player that the fans voice their displeasure towards him, and they go off the plan to “mix it up” with him, or go out of their way to deliver a “shot” at him…. Clearly they’re being selfish and playing to the fans.
So you would expect a better performance in the next game, and they fall flat, fall behind, and cannot get back into the game.

if Dorion couldn’t figure out after 5 years that DJ isn’t the coach for this team - are we going to go through another 5 years with the wrong coach?

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Who hired the coach, and why does he get to hire another one?

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
if you go through the league from as far back as the early 1950's (yes 70 years). Very few teams have ever rebuilt, come out of that rebuild, won and did so with the GM and coach that they entered the rebuild with, or brought them in early in the process.

in almost every instance, a new coach and GM was brought in inside 2 years of the turn around.

Chicago Blackhawks are the best example:
A collapse in the mid 1950.. A new coach and GM in the late 1950, Bobby Hull and Stan M. and huge success in 60-65
collapse in the late 2000's. New coach new GM just as Toews and Kane skyrocketed the team upwards

and you can look at Pittsburgh, LA kings and so on.

The most recent example; NJ.. Ruff and Fitzgerald

It is a trend that is undeniable; Collapse, rebuild, fire GM, Fire coach, 2-4 years into the rebuild. Then come out 1-2 years after personnel changes.

Dorion and Smith have to go.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This is absurd. He hired the coach, he gave him the vote of confidence. He mismanaged the cap what on earth are you talking about. I know for a fact that Dorion knows its a matter of time, which I am sure DJ knows as soon as Dorion is gone so is he.

It’s time to fire Dorion, bring in an adult to take in the whole situation, resolve the Pinto situation & make the appropriate changes.

GM first, then let the new GM sort out coaching etc.
This, thats the order of operations.

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It’s time to fire Dorion, bring in an adult to take in the whole situation, resolve the Pinto situation & make the appropriate changes.

It’s sort of sad because without the pinto debacle I would say keep Dorion fire DJ if the results weren’t there. The team on ice is not horrific. But with this cap situation that Dorion has gotten us into. You can’t let that slide it’s totally amateur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I agree Dorion needs to go immediately but we also don’t need the new GM to evaluate DJ. We know who DJ is, he isn’t the guy.

Fire both, have Payne or Capuano hold the reins for a few weeks, let the new GM hire the replacement.

Reactions: RyCam

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I agree Dorion needs to go immediately but we also don’t need the new GM to evaluate DJ. We know who DJ is, he isn’t the guy.

Fire both, have Payne or Capuano hold the reins for a few weeks, let the new GM hire the replacement.
No new GM is looking at DJ and saying “hmm let’s give him another 20 games”. They have probably 2 guys they already want. Will look at DJs track record, watch tape of the last whatever games and say gtfo

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No new GM is looking at DJ and saying “hmm let’s give him another 20 games”. They have probably 2 guys they already want. Will look at DJs track record, watch tape of the last whatever games and say gtfo
Agree. Just making sure we’re all on the same page

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

the season is only 6 games deep as of today. The panic point is at games 18-25.. they need to be in the playoffs and at anywhere from 22-32 points (depending on games played).

fire with no plan to replace and use interms.. you are guaranteed a fall in play and by the time you hire a new GM and coach, the season is lost.

so:
1) fire the GM now. hopefully Andlauer spent June to now, making a list and doing some prelim work on a potential replacement GM. So, you can have a new guy in here in 2-5 days. Hopefully that GM has a list of coaching candidates that he is comfortable with. Another 2-5 days a new coach.

so 4-10 days later everyone is new.. 4-10 days is 2-5 games.. the schedule is weak.. so 2-6 points.. minimal harm. You exist the period with 8-11 games played and 8-12 points.

2) wait things out. See where things are in early December.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
the season is only 6 games deep as of today. The panic point is at games 18-25.. they need to be in the playoffs and at anywhere from 22-32 points (depending on games played).

fire with no plan to replace and use interms.. you are guaranteed a fall in play and by the time you hire a new GM and coach, the season is lost.

so:
1) fire the GM now. hopefully Andlauer spent June to now, making a list and doing some prelim work on a potential replacement GM. So, you can have a new guy in here in 2-5 days. Hopefully that GM has a list of coaching candidates that he is comfortable with. Another 2-5 days a new coach.

so 4-10 days later everyone is new.. 4-10 days is 2-5 games.. the schedule is weak.. so 2-6 points.. minimal harm. You exist the period with 8-11 games played and 8-12 points.

2) wait things out. See where things are in early December.

The deadlines for your suggestion and mine are literally the same. I just have DJ out now instead of in 4-10 days. Maybe that wasn’t clear, let Capuano or Payne hold the reins until the new coach is in (which should be near immediate) then fire the interim guy too.

In any event, both our plans have a new GM and Coach in two weeks.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Of the 18 periods of hockey we've played this year, 6 of them we've held opponents to 6 shots or less for the period.

They're 2nd in the league in SA/GP, tied for 2nd in FO%, 5th in SF/GP, 3rd in High Danger Shots Against (in all situations) and yet their GA/GP is tied for 8th worst in the league.

I'm not sure the tape says what you think it says.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
The deadlines for your suggestion and mine are literally the same. I just have DJ out now instead of in 4-10 days. Maybe that wasn’t clear, let Capuano or Payne hold the reins until the new coach is in (which should be near immediate) then fire the interim guy too.

In any event, both our plans have a new GM and Coach in two weeks.
milestone one is new GM in 2-5 days.
Today is day 1, by tomorrow an announcement???????
Monday is day 5. maybe an announcement by then?

we can wait

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Of the 18 periods of hockey we've played this year, 6 of them we've held opponents to 6 shots or less for the period.

They're 2nd in the league in SA/GP, tied for 2nd in FO%, 5th in SF/GP, 3rd in High Danger Shots Against (in all situations) and yet their GA/GP is tied for 8th worst in the league.

hey Bank,

a 0.500 record against weakish teams, 5 of the 6 at home. In a season of; playoffs or bust... Of; judge us on our performance... on; another poor start and!!!!

the two teams that we are attached at the hip with.. Buffalo and Detroit.. Our brothers in misery. Came in and beat us.. Take away the late comeback yesterday, both were bad defeats.... Not exactly what the doctor ordered.

if by game 20, we are at 0.500, the season is over. The easy part will be over, the teams will get harder, the road games will increase.

should we not be panicking? at least a tad. We have been told to be patient for a while. We have been told, next year for a while.. at some point, next year becomes; this year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

It’s a courtesy. He’s fired either way. Even though there’s those…..6 periods of hockey

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
if by game 20, we are at 0.500, the season is over.
This team hasn't been 0.500 by the 20 game mark since 2018? I get that we want and hope for better than that but we also have to respect the process of improving.

Being 0.500 at 20 games in would be progress. Not good enough but still good.

I had my hopes pegged at being slightly above 0.500 by Christmas.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
hey Bank,

a 0.500 record against weakish teams, 5 of the 6 at home. In a season of; playoffs or bust... Of; judge us on our performance... on; another poor start and!!!!

the two teams that we are attached at the hip with.. Buffalo and Detroit.. Our brothers in misery. Came in and beat us.. Take away the late comeback yesterday, both were bad defeats.... Not exactly what the doctor ordered.

if by game 20, we are at 0.500, the season is over. The easy part will be over, the teams will get harder, the road games will increase.

should we not be panicking? at least a tad. We have been told to be patient for a while. We have been told, next year for a while.. at some point, next year becomes; this year.
So if we were 5-1 but all the underlying stats said this team was a steaming pile of dogshit bound for regression, that would be ok, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad