Management POHO Staios/GM D̶o̶r̶i̶o̶n̶/Front Office Thread - Part X [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That only kicks the can down the road. When Norris comes off LTIR, we're still going to be over the cap by Pinto's full cap hit so we'll be in an even tougher situation at that point.

I'm guessing they're going to send down 3 guys and play with 11F for a bit to get Pinto and Norris into the lineup. Greig, Kelly and Chartier go down, which opens up $2.4M in cap space. They play with 11F until some cap clears up through injury or trade? Probably not the worst option in the world if it means they don't need to spend significant assets to fit Pinto in.
I could be dead wrong, but I've been singing this tune for a bit, so I'll say it one more time. I don't think management is willing to put Kelly on waivers and imo he was a lock for opening night.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I could be dead wrong, but I've been singing this tune for a bit, so I'll say it one more time. I don't think management is willing to put Kelly on waivers and imo he was a lock for opening night.
As he should be if this is how he’ll play every night. He must have been injured last season or something.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As he should be if this is how he’ll play every night. He must have been injured last season or something.
He has earned his spot so far, I agree. He's a guy that I think everyone was prepared to see waived for cap reasons and whatnot, but imo him getting claimed was a real possibility. Their handling of him imo indicated they liked him and I thought they'd wanna see him again before potentially losing him.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

In the TB broadcast they brought up an interesting tidbit about Cerrelli being on Team Canada because Cooper was the coach - if there’s one position a Head Coach will die for it’s his PK’ers. Draper on Team Canada, Peca on Team Canada - Head Coach love affair with these guys and Kelly is a big part of the PK. Obviously DJ is a fan.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
In the TB broadcast they brought up an interesting tidbit about Cerrelli being on Team Canada because Cooper was the coach - if there’s one position a Head Coach will die for it’s his PK’ers. Draper on Team Canada, Peca on Team Canada - Head Coach love affair with these guys and Kelly is a big part of the PK. Obviously DJ is a fan.

I get the point you’re trying to make, and I know you’re not making a direct comparison.

This is Kelly’s first year as a first wave PK guy. If anything this is a stronger argument in favour of Joseph who is our top PK forward.

Even with all that said, using these names in the same sentence as Parker Kelly is wild.

1697552630726.jpeg

1697552653323.jpeg

1697552730170.jpeg

Draper and Peca in particular were the real deal elite defensive forwards

I’d be happy if Kelly became Jarkko Ruutu.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I get the point you’re trying to make, and I know you’re not making a direct comparison.

This is Kelly’s first year as a first wave PK guy. If anything this is a stronger argument in favour of Joseph who is our top PK forward.

Even with all that said, using these names in the same sentence as Parker Kelly is wild.

View attachment 753854

View attachment 753855

View attachment 753856

Me too!

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

View attachment 753854

View attachment 753855

View attachment 753856

I mean yes that would be incredible

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That only kicks the can down the road. When Norris comes off LTIR, we're still going to be over the cap by Pinto's full cap hit so we'll be in an even tougher situation at that point.

I'm guessing they're going to send down 3 guys and play with 11F for a bit to get Pinto and Norris into the lineup. Greig, Kelly and Chartier go down, which opens up $2.4M in cap space. They play with 11F until some cap clears up through injury or trade? Probably not the worst option in the world if it means they don't need to spend significant assets to fit Pinto in.
I think it would be Joseph instead of Kelly with the hope that someone takes him off waivers it solves a big problem. Kicking it down the road give them a little more time to be able to move Joseph & maybe Brannstrom especially if another team starts to run into injury problems & need NHL replacements. Once Pinto & Norris are back Joseph's ice time will be reduced & it will be interesting so see if he will continue to be as effective with less ice time or he goes back to being the he was last yr. Something has to be done & Greig, Chartier & Kelly are at the bottom of the salary structure while Joseph is close to $3 mil. Should be interesting how they get themselves out of this but my guess is that some team could run into injury trouble & that might force a deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are a number or series of events that happened over time that put the team in this situation. The current bind is largely/mostly not predicated on current events. We have the legacy of $5 m of dead cap space spread across 4 different players. We traded away a 7th overall for one year of Debrincat who didn't want to here. We traded Debrincat and got Kubalik ($2.5 m) as part of the return. We signed Brannstrom, MacEwen, Hamoinic & Tarasenko before getting Pinto under contract. You got to go further back in time to understand what led to the current situation versus just looking at current/recent events.
Yes, I understand all that & it was under Dorion's watch, but here we are, we can't change what happened in the past, the problem has to be addressed now & a solution found now & it's really just a problem this yr. Also a fact is that PD has put together a pretty good roster for this season although he has this one problem hanging over his head which is finding around $2 mil to sign Pinto which could happen in different ways. Most think a trade is necessary & if that is the case who has to go to make the cap room & it comes down to 3 guys Kubalik, Brannstrom & Joseph. The good news is that both Joseph & Brannstrom are playing well & increasing their value while Kubalik's value could be sliding.

Joseph is off to a great start no question, but once Pinto & Norris are back how much does his role change, he probably drops a line & his ice time will likely get reduced. Will he still be as effective afterwards? Kubalik who was impressive during TC are now down on him since he hasn't scored in 3 games although he had two glorious chances which didn't work, but some fans are already ready to move on from him. IMO he is a much better goal scorer & pt producer than Joseph & almost as fast & can play the PP or PK & makes less money. Unfortunately for Brannstrom whichever of those two forwards get moved they might have to add Brannstrom to free up enough money to sign Pinto & bring up callups. It's a tough decision no question but given they just got Kubalik I doubt they trade him, but you never know.

I read in an earlier post that PD may have been counting on Toronto buying out Murray's contract, but they didn't. Also, when the trade for Debrincat happened, he negotiated a player in return because Tarasenko didn't accept their initial offer & we needed a winger to replace Debrincat. However, by that time Tarasenko circled back, signing him caused the problem they currently find themselves in. But this issue really started last year when they bought out the 3 contracts leading to $5 million in dead cap space. What a mess. Our trade bait (Joseph) is playing well and is so good on the PK, who would take his place? Their options are not pretty, there's no easy out. Hopefully when this is all settled, they haven't burned their bridges with Pinto and we haven't given away the farm. The one saving grace is we have a POHO now so Dorion won't be allowed to make a bonehead move.
We have no idea what PD was counting on, the problem is we hear something & before we know it people think it's fact when it's just more speculation.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Because they might be expecting him to play as early as Wednesday?

It's in the name. LTIR = LONG TERM Injured Reserve. Norris' injury is not long term.

If they feel it's long term, they'll put him on LTIR.
What's the over under for Norris playing against Wash? My guess is Sat against Det.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
60% chance he plays, 40% chance he doesn't.

If I had to pick one of those I'd take the 40% for Wednesday. Hopefully he's back sooner than later, but the messaging around this injury and player for the last month or so has me really pessimistic.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I had to pick one of those I'd take the 40% for Wednesday. Hopefully he's back sooner than later, but the messaging around this injury and player for the last month or so has me really pessimistic.
Looks like he might play, we'll know soon enough, I imagine he replaces Chartier.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Looks like he might play, we'll know soon enough, I imagine he replaces Chartier.

It looks hopeful. Hopefully he feels 100% and can stay healthy moving forward. It looks like MacEwan or Kastelic are coming out. Chartier has earned a further look and the other two haven't really. Kastelic in particular has been underwhelming. Needs a wake up call perhaps.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It looks hopeful. Hopefully he feels 100% and can stay healthy moving forward. It looks like MacEwan or Kastelic are coming out. Chartier has earned a further look and the other two haven't really. Kastelic in particular has been underwhelming. Needs a wake up call perhaps.
Kastelic has been good in the faceoff circle & we know how important winning faceoffs are, we'll see I guess, plus with Wilson in the Caps lineup I imagine they might keep MacEwan in.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Kastelic has been good in the faceoff circle & we know how important winning faceoffs are, we'll see I guess, plus with Wilson in the Caps lineup I imagine they might keep MacEwan in.

The team may value that for sure. Take some of the faceoff load off of Giroux. SO he's got that over MacEwan. I'd bet Mac is the guy to come out but we'll see.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How has DJ's coaching been so far this yr? They have one of the best PPs in the league, one of the best PKs in the league & are playing great so far 5 on 5. Goaltending is much improved, the defence is much improved & we now have one of the best top 9 lines in the league. Everything seems to be clicking, does DJ get any credit for this or does all the credit go to the players & not the coaches or their systems?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
How has DJ's coaching been so far this yr? They have one of the best PPs in the league, one of the best PKs in the league & are playing great so far 5 on 5. Goaltending is much improved, the defence is much improved & we now have one of the best top 9 lines in the league. Everything seems to be clicking, does DJ get any credit for this or does all the credit go to the players & not the coaches or their systems?
Home ice.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It is all Alfie

No one gets recognition. Just Alfie.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad