Management POHO Staios/GM D̶o̶r̶i̶o̶n̶/Front Office Thread - Part X [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Doesn't give you enough cap space

Also he's our only defenseman that can slide into the Top 4 in case of injury

Much more needed than an offensive winger stuck on the 3rd line and little PP time.

Brannstrom should only be traded when we are firmly convinced that Kleven is fully ready to make an impact. Our defense is finally a strength and people want to change that? Some want to trade Chabot, some want to trade Brannstrom

All that for an UFA offensive middle-six winger who doesn't have a complete game? Why are people so enamored with Kubalik? I don't get it

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I hate to say this, but I'm starting to think that moving Brannstrom is the best solution to the Pinto problem
My preferred solution as well, Joseph has looked great so far, but I think Kubalik deserves some consideration depending on the market given his UFA status at years end. They may be only moving him for less than a season while Brannstrom and/or Joseph would have more runway.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
To sign Pinto to $2.5million

Dorion already needs 98K additional on top of $2.5M to sign Pinto to $2.5M contract.

Every additional day is $14K increase needed of room.
$98K already by Wednesday.

Sooner the better

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A number of teams are placing guys on the LTIR to free up some cap space, not sure why they don't do that with Norris for 10 to 15 games given he isn't playing now anyway.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My thinking was to get Pinto signed first and see what money is left over for a winger (could be Tarasenko). Maybe Tarasenko gets paid a little less, or another player. We don't know what the cost to unload a player will be in order to get Pinto signed. Hopefully it won't be too costly. It might have been unnecessary if the plan was executed differently (different sequence).
Isn’t getting Norris back in the lineup more important than getting Pinto into the lineup?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
At what point does Andlauer get involved in the Pinto situation...

Having your 22 year old core piece sitting at home isnt ideal for Pinto.

When does Steve Staios step in ...
OMG…. There were years of threads whining about having a meddling owner, involved with hockey decisions…. The consensus what that it was bad for the team…. And you want the new owner to get involved ?

besides, a third line center is hardly a “core piece”…. Getting Norris up and running at full speed is more of an issue than a 22 year olds with one season under his belt.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
At what point does Andlauer get involved in the Pinto situation...

Having your 22 year old core piece sitting at home isnt ideal for Pinto.

When does Steve Staios step in ...
he doesnt

but he watches Dorion dig his own grave

OMG…. There were years of threads whining about having a meddling owner, involved with hockey decisions…. The consensus what that it was bad for the team…. And you want the new owner to get involved ?

besides, a third line center is hardly a “core piece”…. Getting Norris up and running at full speed is more of an issue than a 22 year olds with one season under his belt.
both are issues

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
A number of teams are placing guys on the LTIR to free up some cap space, not sure why they don't do that with Norris for 10 to 15 games given he isn't playing now anyway.

Because they might be expecting him to play as early as Wednesday?

It's in the name. LTIR = LONG TERM Injured Reserve. Norris' injury is not long term.

If they feel it's long term, they'll put him on LTIR.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It was accurate though.
1697492143198.gif

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Isn’t getting Norris back in the lineup more important than getting Pinto into the lineup?
Yes. The sooner the better. Hopefully he can play at his past level. And if he gets injured again, going onto LTIR might be the solution to the limited Cap room Pinto issue.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I believe they actually offered Tarasenko a lot more money & term which was rejected thankfully & they got him signed for one yr. I think they thought they could have signed Pinto for less & didn't expect they would be asking for more than expected, I also think they thought they could move Joseph easier than it has turned out mostly due to his contract which now seems to difficult to move unless they add a sweetner. Eventually they will get this sorted out, but we can almost guaratee it won't make this board happy whatever they do.
I read in an earlier post that PD may have been counting on Toronto buying out Murray's contract, but they didn't. Also, when the trade for Debrincat happened, he negotiated a player in return because Tarasenko didn't accept their initial offer & we needed a winger to replace Debrincat. However, by that time Tarasenko circled back, signing him caused the problem they currently find themselves in. But this issue really started last year when they bought out the 3 contracts leading to $5 million in dead cap space. What a mess. Our trade bait (Joseph) is playing well and is so good on the PK, who would take his place? Their options are not pretty, there's no easy out. Hopefully when this is all settled, they haven't burned their bridges with Pinto and we haven't given away the farm. The one saving grace is we have a POHO now so Dorion won't be allowed to make a bonehead move.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

With an interventions owner or without an interventionist owner - Dorion will find a way to completely bone the salary cap.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
From everything we have read they did test the waters & found that the guys they wanted to move to free up money no one wanted without adding a pretty a valuable sweetner. Yesterday BooBoo told us that Philly wanted Greig as the sweetner, this past summer we heard Sanderson. IMO the sweetner that will get us out of this is likely that Det 1st which no one wants to give up but may have to. What were you willing to give up to get us cap compliant & we weren't the only team with cap issues coming into this yr.

PD will eventually get fired or they just move on eventually, or maybe put into a corner & they work around him until his contract is done or he resigns, it could be inevidable but at the moment he has put together a pretty good roster while still making mistakes or not getting full value. IMO that's the job & you just hope you have more wins than losses, more hits than strikeouts & when deal with people you never know who rises to the top & who may not dispite all the scouting or who ends up in jury prone. I thought the Blue Jays had a pretty good roster & added some good pieces & they barely made the playoffs & were out of the playoffs in a blink. A lot of people calling for the heads of their GM & Manager who they were praising until they lost. C'est la vie je pense.
There are a number or series of events that happened over time that put the team in this situation. The current bind is largely/mostly not predicated on current events. We have the legacy of $5 m of dead cap space spread across 4 different players. We traded away a 7th overall for one year of Debrincat who didn't want to here. We traded Debrincat and got Kubalik ($2.5 m) as part of the return. We signed Brannstrom, MacEwen, Hamoinic & Tarasenko before getting Pinto under contract. You got to go further back in time to understand what led to the current situation versus just looking at current/recent events.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That only kicks the can down the road. When Norris comes off LTIR, we're still going to be over the cap by Pinto's full cap hit so we'll be in an even tougher situation at that point.

I'm guessing they're going to send down 3 guys and play with 11F for a bit to get Pinto and Norris into the lineup. Greig, Kelly and Chartier go down, which opens up $2.4M in cap space. They play with 11F until some cap clears up through injury or trade? Probably not the worst option in the world if it means they don't need to spend significant assets to fit Pinto in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad