Management POHO Staios/GM D̶o̶r̶i̶o̶n̶/Front Office Thread - Part X [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
True. Maybe threaten him somehow by leaving a cryptic phone message... or maybe they talk about this already a lot since they work together and they have a plan.
Your assumption is different than mine. Mine is Staios has left it in Dorion's hands and its on him to get it done.

Reactions: LiseL

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
If I am Staios , I am giving Dorion 24 hours to make a decision and create the cap space. Next thing you know there will be a trade request.

Completely irresponsible on Dorion's part
I think being hands off is a better way to evaluate him

But yeah this looks horrible on Dorion, and I hope it does not lead to that

Reactions: Bileur

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think being hands off is a better way to evaluate him

But yeah this looks horrible on Dorion, and I hope it does not lead to that
At some point all the talk and excuses have to stop and the tough decision has to be made. Dorion is afraid to make this tough decision because all the options stink and in the end make him look bad. He's already screwed up and he needs to fix it agreed but the clock has to be ticking

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They aren’t going to decide Dorion’s fate based on how he gets the team out of this situation, they already have a plan undoubtably. As most people have figured in here it’s likely just a matter of when.

Staios is also not going to sit back and not help Dorion, if needed, in a situation that directly affects his team in long and short term. This is not petty office politics as played out on HFSens, these are professional who will work together to do what’s best for the team.

Dorion’s days are number regardless, I agree with that, but his legacy is important for his future career, and the team’s current situation and future situation is important to Staios’ career, so the two will collaborate if necessary since they have common cause.

I can’t believe people are gleeful over what would be terrible workplace behaviour. I mean we just got free of that shit.

In the end Dorion won’t be marched out in shame, and he’ll get another executive job elsewhere and carry on his career. There is no comeuppance waiting in the wings, some folks are just going to have to deal with it.

I personally want all the brains in the office working together to find the best solution to this issue; what’s best for the team regardless.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Peter Chiarelli GM
Claude Julien Coach
Don't you remember the bonehead moves Chiarelli made in Edmonton when it was clear he was going to be fired? He did do some good things in Boston but then they found someone better. Thanks, but no thanks.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
They aren’t going to decide Dorion’s fate based on how he gets the team out of this situation, they already have a plan undoubtably. As most people have figured in here it’s likely just a matter of when.

Staios is also not going to sit back and not help Dorion, if needed, in a situation that directly affects his team in long and short term. This is not petty office politics as played out on HFSens, these are professional who will work together to do what’s best for the team.

Dorion’s days are number regardless, I agree with that, but his legacy is important for his future career, and the team’s current situation and future situation is important to Staios’ career, so the two will collaborate if necessary since they have common cause.

I can’t believe people are gleeful over what would be terrible workplace behaviour. I mean we just got free of that shit.

In the end Dorion won’t be marched out in shame, and he’ll get another executive job elsewhere and carry on his career. There is no comeuppance waiting in the wings, some folks are just going to have to deal with it.

I personally want all the brains in the office working together to find the best solution to this issue; what’s best for the team regardless.
Ice-Tray, the adult in the room. Great post.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ice-Tray your outnumbered by likes... stop protecting Dorion for once at all costs ...don't make it so obvious ;)
It’s true, I’m not as well liked in here, but…

I wasn’t protecting Dorion here, what I meant is that I’m of the belief that Dorion will be replaced regardless of what happens this season. It may be sooner if the team doesn’t do well in the first half of the season, or it may be later at the end of the season.

I personally don’t think he’s actually being evaluated, I suspect Staios and Andlauer already have, and have always had, a plan for who they want in that GM spot. They will both say all the right things though.

I imagine that this upcoming offseason and next season are viewed as their ‘official’ start. Two first rounders and a ton of cap space is a good starting point for a new GM. You definitely want the scouting staff in place immediately though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The whole notion of evaluating Dorion is dumb.

7 years, even giving the benefit of the doubt for the Melnyk factor and giving credit for his good moves, any objective observer should see it’s time to move on.
I'm not sure about that & playing Devil's advocate whenever I listen to a broadcast they seem to give Dprion the credit for putting this roster together & last yr it was the summer of Pirerre until the injuries caught up to them at season's end & going through a ton of goalies. They were still quite entertaining to watch & in some cases it was their youthful enthousiasm taking bad penalties that cost them.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If I am Staios , I am giving Dorion 24 hours to make a decision and create the cap space. Next thing you know there will be a trade request.

Completely irresponsible on Dorion's part
Hold on….would Pinto not being signed, be as big of an issue, if Norris was 100% and in the line up?
No.
Grieg would be the third line Center until pinto was signed.

why should Norris not being available until healthy make it so urgent to get Pinto signed, by forcing a trade from a position of precieved weakness?

I can just see it now…. If your suggestion was reality, and PD trades Xyz, plus a pick or two, to create the cap space to allow Pinto to be signed…. And then a few days later Norris comes back into the lineup….everyone here would hammering PD for “another horrible trade” that did not need to get done so quickly.

As soon as Norris comes back, the perceived pressure to sign Pinto will disappear and any trading partner will not be dealing from a position of strength ….. with Stutzle Norris and Grieg as the three centers, having Pinto unsigned is a much lower impact of the team.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I've about had it with mature takes on this site.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Tarasenko is a high profile NHL player with a pretty good resume, are you saying they should not have signed him? After all the talk of good players not wanting to come here, they got a good one who did. Yes, they have a small money problem at the moment, but they only need to find someone to take one or two guys to free up the money, it's only one game into the season & not that big a deal. The cap didn't cost the game last night goaltending & Stuetzle had a tough night. Does anyone expect this team to win the Stanley Cup this yr? I don't think so, but I think they will make the playoffs & hopefully make some noise.
My thinking was to get Pinto signed first and see what money is left over for a winger (could be Tarasenko). Maybe Tarasenko gets paid a little less, or another player. We don't know what the cost to unload a player will be in order to get Pinto signed. Hopefully it won't be too costly. It might have been unnecessary if the plan was executed differently (different sequence).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My thinking was to get Pinto signed first and see what money is left over for a winger (could be Tarasenko). Maybe Tarasenko gets paid a little less, or another player. We don't know what the cost to unload a player will be in order to get Pinto signed. Hopefully it won't be too costly. It might have been unnecessary if the plan was executed differently (different sequence).
I believe they actually offered Tarasenko a lot more money & term which was rejected thankfully & they got him signed for one yr. I think they thought they could have signed Pinto for less & didn't expect they would be asking for more than expected, I also think they thought they could move Joseph easier than it has turned out mostly due to his contract which now seems to difficult to move unless they add a sweetner. Eventually they will get this sorted out, but we can almost guaratee it won't make this board happy whatever they do.

Reactions: LiseL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad