Confirmed with Link: PLD to the Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2nd in 2024 (orig Mtl’s pick)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
You have that A backwards. Canadian teams can’t afford to keep top six talent for long. Its those players which have the leverage to move as they feel. Depth players are much cheaper by the goal, its a team game, the knights and leafs proved it again.
but you can't build a team without a top six, like you said they have the leverage and will eat up those 3rd line wages.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If he's a lifestyle guy, he can do what Wheeler did and buy a vacation home for the 4 months that he's not playing hockey. During the season, he's spending at least half of it travelling or in other cities, anyway.

Since we still had his rights and he played his cards, saying he won't even sign a one-year deal, he had two choices. Sit out for the year, and we retain him for another year after that or accept a sign and trade. I don't think he did the Jets any favors.

I'm glad he's gone and we got the assets we did, but I don't think much of his entitled attitude.
When did he say he won't sign a one-year deal with the Jets?
It's getting old ... the knocks on PLD. He has been nothing but accommodating with the Jets.
He gave the Jets a 2-year window to come up with a trade ... majority of players don't do it until the last year or demand a trade.
Who knows maybe he played Montreal to create a bidding war?
The. Jets did get a huge return for him.
This thing that PLD quit on the Jets is BS too. He did come back early from injury when the Jets were in jeopardy of not making the playoffs. Did Draisait quit on the Oilers in game 6 vs VGK ... he was -4 and did nothing in the last 4 games against the Knights.
In elimination games Vegas outscored their opponents 24-6 ... did all those teams quit?
Teams have control for 7 years of the players they draft after that players have control and why can't they choose where they want to play ... they earned it right?
Do a quick survey ... ask nobody if they would live in Winnipeg or LA in the winter?
I think we know the answer ... time to move on and enjoy the assets PLD got for the Jets.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They also said that the Jets weren't averse to a futures package from Montreal but the futures they were interested in, Montreal told them no way.

Yea I was struggling to figure out if they meant Montreal said no way or the futures assets said no way? Either way I think it tells us Winnipeg is open to futures rich packages or some more NHL ready assets.

Reactions: Duke749

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
but you can't build a team without a top six, like you said they have the leverage and will eat up those 3rd line wages.
I dont think the kraken had a top six but a really good middle 12. They did quite well with it, if you cant keep or have to over pay then imo this is the way

I dont think the kraken had a top six but a really good middle 12. They did quite well with it, if you cant keep or have to over pay for top six then imo this is the way

Reactions: ERYX

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I have always had the feeling PLD is a lifestyle guy, he's as much as said so. He didn't like Columbus, and he didn't like Winnipeg. He's a big city guy and he wants that life outside of hockey. I would jump at the chance to go from Winnipeg to LA.

I respect that he took the high road in basically agreeing to the rare sign and trade which increased our return by a good bit I'd think. He did a solid to the org IMO. No hard feelings from me towards PLD. Hope he has a great 8 years in LA.
Yes, he helped the Jets out by agreeing to do a sign & trade. I suspect some of it might be because his dad works for the Jets or perhaps he is just a good human. I was really happy when the Jets got him and was disappointed when he said he wouldn't sign long term with them. Given that I live close to LA and have lots of Kings fans as friends I am kinda happy he is going to them.

Well done Chevy, I don't always agree with his decisions but he does pretty good when he is backed into a corner.

One more great thing about Iafallo, it's a lot of fun to substitute his last name in the chorus for "I will Follow"
Cheers

So will that be his goal song next season?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Renewals come up every year now as season tickets are now on a year to year bases, but agreed that there isn't much appetite for a full on rebuild for those ponying up thousands and sometimes $10,000 or more to go to games.

I really hope he doesn't get booed upon his return. That would be pretty classless.

I am trying to think which x players our fans have booed? EK9 took a boo beating but as long as its about him he wins, ignoring him like we didn't care would have been the best fan troll job. Trouba got booed which makes sense since he both rejected us and also limited his market to 1 team from what we heard. I assume PLD will get booed since he wanted to move on like the other guys but at least he opened up the negotiations to multiple teams. Did Laine get lightly booed? I can't remember and I was at the game? He asked to be traded but his turn around time from asking to leave to being traded was pretty quick and he seemed to go under the radar a bit. It helped that he got introduced with Vincent in the video tribute.

For the record I have been at each game when the player above came back for their first game and I didn't boo any of them. I don't feel that emotion.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
I dont think the kraken had a top six but a really good middle 12. They did quite well with it, if you cant keep or have to over pay then imo this is the way
That's an outlier because of an expansion draft.

If you get 30 middle six players, you obvious got something going out of it.

The jets aren't gonna have 12 middle six players. 7-8 year, but unless some magic happens there's no way they're getting that kind of situation.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Yes, he helped the Jets out by agreeing to do a sign & trade. I suspect some of it might be because his dad works for the Jets or perhaps he is just a good human.

Or more likely he wasn't getting the kinda offers of Montreal that he expected and was worried about being stuck here for another year so decided to expand his horizons.

I really hope he doesn't get booed upon his return. That would be pretty classless.

He will 100% get booed. Trouba got booed and he created less trouble. Also reading the internet Habs fans are also planning on booing him when he plays at the Bell Center. This guy will be booed in 3 buildings next season, Winnipeg, Columbus and Montreal... not sure if that's happened before.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I am trying to think which x players our fans have booed? EK9 took a boo beating but as long as its about him he wins, ignoring him like we didn't care would have been the best fan troll job. Trouba got booed which makes sense since he both rejected us and also limited his market to 1 team from what we heard. I assume PLD will get booed since he wanted to move on like the other guys but at least he opened up the negotiations to multiple teams. Did Laine get lightly booed? I can't remember and I was at the game? He asked to be traded but his turn around time from asking to leave to being traded was pretty quick and he seemed to go under the radar a bit. It helped that he got introduced with Vincent in the video tribute.

For the record I have been at each game when the player above came back for their first game and I didn't boo any of them. I don't feel that emotion.

I was at that game too -- my posh section cheered Laine, people mostly seemed happy to see him and he was gracious and clearly moved by the crowd response (I was 2 rows behind him and wrote this up at the time).

Troouuuuuuubbboooooooooooah is plain fun to shout, so there's that.

EK sure, can't think of many if any others. Don't think anyone cared enough about Roslo to boo him.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

IIRC (I was at the first Laine "return" game), Laine got some light boos but mostly cheers and Roslovic got booed more. But overall it was nothing much. They were traded mid pandemic and by the time they did make the return I'm not sure anyone cared that much. The first season back with fans in the stands was pretty emotionless TBH. Still wearing masks etc etc

Reactions: ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I've been to a couple games after a player returned and I've never booed either. I'm glad we moved on from PLD, but at least he and his agent didn't poison the well so we were able to get good value back.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

I DO feel that emotion. I'm 60 years old and a lifelong Winnipegger. I have grandsons here and will never leave. I've traveled all over North America in my career for work, in addition to Australia and Europe. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. And when these entitled young pricks making *probably* at least 100x more annually than the average HF Boards posters (8.5M/100 - $85,000 per year) feel that it's "too hard" to spend 8 months of the year here playing professional hockey - it doesn't sit well with me. It never will. And to think that most of these elite players should be able to retire after a 10-year career (if they know how to handle money) can't make it work in this city, it pisses me off. But that's just me...

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Or more likely he wasn't getting the kinda offers of Montreal that he expected and was worried about being stuck here for another year so decided to expand his horizons.

He will 100% get booed. Trouba got booed and he created less trouble. Also reading the internet Habs fans are also planning on booing him when he plays at the Bell Center. This guy will be booed in 3 buildings next season, Winnipeg, Columbus and Montreal... not sure if that's happened before.

I'm sure Subban had it happen to him one year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I DO feel that emotion. I'm 60 years old and a lifelong Winnipegger. I have grandsons here and will never leave. I've traveled all over North America in my career for work, in addition to Australia and Europe. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. And when these entitled young pricks making *probably* at least 100x more annually than the average HF Boards posters (8.5M/100 - $85,000 per year) feel that it's "too hard" to spend 8 months of the year here playing professional hockey - it doesn't sit well with me. It never will. And to think that most of these elite players should be able to retire after a 10-year career (if they know how to handle money) can't make it work in this city, it pisses me off. But that's just me...

I don't see it as they think it's too hard. More that they make enough money where they can choose where they live based on their lifestyle and Winnipeg doesn't meet that lifestyle.

Reactions: Greggo56

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve never booed a player or ref, not my style. These guys can play wherever they want, that’s their perogative. I don’t find it healthy to hold a grudge against players I feel it’s healthier to move on. And I lived here my whole life too lol
I’ve travelled everywhere and wish I lived in Australia or by an ocean.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Flyers are an awful team. He was top 10 in goals saved above expected and goals saved above expected per 60 last year for goalies with a starters work load. He was top 3 in 19-20 (right up there with Rask and Helle).

There is definitely some upside with him and playing on a solid defensive team will help his stats imo.

Yes there was a report our that said Thompson would like to move to a team where he's a starter.

That is still Hart's career sv%. First we have to get him. Then he has to have his best season ever. There is no guarantee either of those things happen. I'm not saying he isn't a possibility. But you can't just assume that works.

Thompson may want a move but that doesn't make him available. He is still under contract for 2 years. If we can get him for a reasonable price it would be a great move. IF Then there is still no guarantee he would give us league avg either. He has only played 57 NHL games. What was Michael Hutchinson's sv% after 57 games?

Swayman has looked great but he is also unproven. He has appeared in 88 games. Still a small sample size. No guarantee we can get him.

No guarantee we can get 1 of those 3 either. And if we do manage to land one, there is no guarantee we will get league avg goaltending from whichever one we get.

Get any 1 of them and I will be fairly optimistic of getting decent goaltending. Lets accomplish step 1 before we start assuming success at step 2.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Totally get it. Everyone is going to feel their own emotion to it and that emotion is what it is.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve never booed a player or ref, not my style. These guys can play wherever they want, that’s their perogative. I don’t find it healthy to hold a grudge against players I feel it’s healthier to move on. And I lived here my whole life too lol
I’ve travelled everywhere and wish I lived in Australia or by an ocean.
I get that - to each their own... I go to about 8-9 games a year, 3-4 that I pay for the tickets, and the rest are comps, usually in a private box, which I appreciate. I feel I'm entitled to cheer when they deserve it and boo when they suck. When I shell out $300 for an evening with my wife at a Jets game and the effort appears to be lacking, I express my displeasure and don't feel bad for doing so. And I doubt the players lose sleep at night when the crowd expresses displeasure at their performance.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I get that - to each their own... I go to about 8-9 games a year, 3-4 that I pay for the tickets, and the rest are comps, usually in a private box, which I appreciate. I feel I'm entitled to cheer when they deserve it and boo when they suck. When I shell out $300 for an evening with my wife at a Jets game and the effort appears to be lacking, I express my displeasure and don't feel bad for doing so. And I doubt the players lose sleep at night when the crowd expresses displeasure at their performance.
No worries, sorry if I came across judgy. I as a player was very focused during games but loved a hostile crowd as it fuelled me and I performed well in those environments but it was usually the opposing fans booing lol

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
Im looking forward to seeing that being played out.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I am a huge Vilardi fan. This guy has potential to be a 100+ point center in the NHL. I hope he really breaks through. Utilizing him at wing and you're only going to get max 50 points from him, maybe more. Silky hands but speed isn't all that great.
If WPG uses him at center, you guys have won trade already. This guy is a force and has max potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad