Confirmed with Link: PLD to the Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2nd in 2024 (orig Mtl’s pick)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Rumors going around that the Jets are flipping Iafallo.
1. I really hope not.

2. I think it's just pure conjecture because he's 29 and people think the Jets should and would do a complete tear down and rebuild which this trade should already illustrate we are not.

Overall Iafallo is one of my favourite players in the league for his role as a middle sixer. Anytime I watched Kings games he would make a very noticeable impact defensively. Also love the fact he does that while also taking very few penalties.

James Lahey

Jun 24, 2015
Winnipeg
Pretty detailed analysis from The Athletic -- various POVs presented and most seem to agree that LA got the best player (for now) and WPG did well for value but might have done still better had they focused on futures and now roster. Here's Dom L:

At the same time … there’s a question to be asked regarding why this was the package the Jets went for. The writing seems to be on the wall in Winnipeg with Dubois being only the first shoe to drop. This deal feels like a hockey trade meant to keep Winnipeg competitive when it’s arguable that the trade should’ve been much more future-focused. Vilardi is good and young, but it’s unlikely he’ll fit the team’s current timeline and trajectory.

There’s good and bad on both sides with reasons to like and dislike what either team did. It just depends on how you look at it.

Here's Shayna G:

Losing Dubois obviously hurts the Jets right now considering he had a really strong bounce-back year. It’s just one of likely a few moves to come that will shake up the core in Winnipeg, something sorely needed.

Iafallo brings back some defensive upside for a team that could use it in Winnipeg. But the real star of this deal is Vilardi. As long as he stays healthy, he looks to have a bright future at both ends of the ice. Already he’s shown some solid defensive play, and he’s starting to blossom offensively. T
here’s potential for him to become a key part of the next era of Jets hockey, if the rest of the team can be adequately retooled around him.
I also would have liked to see them go for more futures, but with the attendance issues last year there is no appetite for that. They've lost a lot of season ticket holders and need to at least remain competitive as these renewals come up.

Reactions: blues10 and SCP Guy

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
A complete rebuild means trying to finish in the bottom 3 of the league for a couple of seasons.....we would need to move more than 80 55 and 37 to be that bad,....

Reactions: hockeyarena

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I also would have liked to see them go for more futures, but with the attendance issues last year there is no appetite for that. They've lost a lot of season ticket holders and need to at least remain competitive as these renewals come up.

On 32 thoughts podcast they said the Montreal package was more futures heavy so I am not sure we can read too much into how each deal gets constructed. I think management always has to get the best return possible and your trade partners available chips can impact the asset mix.

I do think the Jets want to remain relevant and they aren't in a full rebuild but past that I am not sure what the plan will be yet.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006

Dubois said the decision to sign long-term in L.A. was an easy one to make, having enjoyed the city during his travels as a player and personally.

“I’ve always been on the east coast,” he said. “I’ve always had the winters and the snow. Eight years is a long time, but there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a great decision, the right decision for me to make.”

Just me, but it kind of sounds like PLD was never going to play in Montreal.... you know because it does snow and get cold there. Sounds like PLD wanted to play somewhere where he can just put his feet up and wear shorts year round.
I have always had the feeling PLD is a lifestyle guy, he's as much as said so. He didn't like Columbus, and he didn't like Winnipeg. He's a big city guy and he wants that life outside of hockey. I would jump at the chance to go from Winnipeg to LA.

I respect that he took the high road in basically agreeing to the rare sign and trade which increased our return by a good bit I'd think. He did a solid to the org IMO. No hard feelings from me towards PLD. Hope he has a great 8 years in LA.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
1687961411622.gif

This sums up my feelings towards the Montreal fan base that said Chevy would have no choice but to accept their junk and be grateful for it. Also my thoughts on them saying they didn’t want PLD anyway!!!!

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
On 32 thoughts podcast they said the Montreal package was more futures heavy so I am not sure we can read too much into how each deal gets constructed. I think management always has to get the best return possible and your trade partners available chips can impact the asset mix.

I do think the Jets want to remain relevant and they aren't in a full rebuild but past that I am not sure what the plan will be yet.

Agree.

Actually, I think the two problems kind of solve each other: a Jets team with a decent middle 6 and required GudVet quotient doesn't give management the same level of urgency to trade away picks on those genres of player when they're at peak value.

So a pick the team actually uses to make a pick has value over that same pick thrown away for UFA Zach Sanford / Cody Eakin, etc.

IMO, the Jets pipeline has suffered partly because of 1sts that didn't pan out -- every team has some of those -- and also because of the shrinking number lottery tickets the Jets have had since 2018-19.

Yeah, it was only a 5th for Sanford -- but it was also a fifth that found Helle and Apples, so any pick has potential value.

Adding three roster players in a single trade -- a top 6 and possibly 2 top 9 -- might add more downstream value than we can see now.

I have always had the feeling PLD is a lifestyle guy, he's as much as said so. He didn't like Columbus, and he didn't like Winnipeg. He's a big city guy and he wants that life outside of hockey. I would jump at the chance to go from Winnipeg to LA.

I respect that he took the high road in basically agreeing to the rare sign and trade which increased our return by a good bit I'd think. He did a solid to the org IMO. No hard feelings from me towards PLD. Hope he has a great 8 years in LA.

Agree.

Good luck to him. We got a fair return for 1 year of PLD.

Though I still expect him to be booed on his return.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

They also said that the Jets weren't averse to a futures package from Montreal but the futures they were interested in, Montreal told them no way.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the PLD era was pretty lack-luster. maybe he was sandbagging his year-long effort or play b/c he didn't care for here, or preserve himself for his next team. not sure. i wouldn't be surprised if he achieves a new career high in a new team.

i think vilardi has some real promising aspects to his game. can he realize that here? not sure. the rest of the pieces are kinda meh or usually readily available types league-wide. but i am most hyped about seeing vilardi.

Reactions: snowkiddin

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Agreed. Not everyone is into ice fishing and dodging knife blades downtown as your winter activities :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Renewals come up every year now as season tickets are now on a year to year bases, but agreed that there isn't much appetite for a full on rebuild for those ponying up thousands and sometimes $10,000 or more to go to games.

Agree.

Actually, I think the two problems kind of solve each other: a Jets team with a decent middle 6 and required GudVet quotient doesn't give management the same level of urgency to trade away picks on those genres of player when they're at peak value.

So a pick the team actually uses to make a pick has value over that same pick thrown away for UFA Zach Sanford / Cody Eakin, etc.

IMO, the Jets pipeline has suffered partly because of 1sts that didn't pan out -- every team has some of those -- and also because of the shrinking number lottery tickets the Jets have had since 2018-19.

Yeah, it was only a 5th for Sanford -- but it was also a fifth that found Helle and Apples, so any pick has potential value.

Adding three roster players in a single trade -- a top 6 and possibly 2 top 9 -- might add more downstream value than we can see now.

Agree.

Good luck to him. We got a fair return for 1 year of PLD.

Though I still expect him to be booed on his return.
I really hope he doesn't get booed upon his return. That would be pretty classless.

Reactions: thereturn and ps241

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I don't get people who say 8.5x8 is an overpay contract-wise for Dubois.

The trade is what it is, but that's a solid contract. This isn't 2015 - salaries have skyrocketed, and people seem to be under the impression that you can get a top-six centre from ages 25-33 for 5 million nowadays.
Exactly!!!! The much heralded Dvorak almost make 5 million. Let that sink in.

Reactions: surixon

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
We did well under the situation we were in.

Laine/Roslovic turning into this package though after the first couple seasons of Laine is just very disappointing in a big picture sense. Obviously sunk costs and all, but man there was so much promise and now there's not much left. Hopefully Vilardi stays healthy, think he can be a good player if he does.

Reactions: Sweech and GNP

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

If he's a lifestyle guy, he can do what Wheeler did and buy a vacation home for the 4 months that he's not playing hockey. During the season, he's spending at least half of it travelling or in other cities, anyway.

Since we still had his rights and he played his cards, saying he won't even sign a one-year deal, he had two choices. Sit out for the year, and we retain him for another year after that or accept a sign and trade. I don't think he did the Jets any favors.

I'm glad he's gone and we got the assets we did, but I don't think much of his entitled attitude.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are also a lot of teams in dire need of a goalie. Hart is a 90.6 career sv%. Is Thompson available? Sure, if we can get Swayman. What if Helle goes to Buffalo and Comrie is the thrown in goalie?

It just seems like a huge stretch to assume league avg goaltending at this point. Not saying it won't happen but it isn't something we can assume.

Yes, but it won't be anywhere near 8.25 mil.

The Flyers are an awful team. He was top 10 in goals saved above expected and goals saved above expected per 60 last year for goalies with a starters work load. He was top 3 in 19-20 (right up there with Rask and Helle).

There is definitely some upside with him and playing on a solid defensive team will help his stats imo.

Yes there was a report our that said Thompson would like to move to a team where he's a starter.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
View attachment 722553

This sums up my feelings towards the Montreal fan base that said Chevy would have no choice but to accept their junk and be grateful for it. Also my thoughts on them saying they didn’t want PLD anyway!!!!
Blues fans were the same way with M Tkachuk since he was raised there too. Guys simply don’t make it to free agency and very few have just 1 spot in mind like Fox did.

If he's a lifestyle guy, he can do what Wheeler did and buy a vacation home for the 4 months that he's not playing hockey. During the season, he's spending at least half of it travelling or in other cities, anyway.

Since we still had his rights and he played his cards, saying he won't even sign a one-year deal, he had two choices. Sit out for the year, and we retain him for another year after that or accept a sign and trade. I don't think he did the Jets any favors.

I'm glad he's gone and we got the assets we did, but I don't think much of his entitled attitude.
Sitting was never an option. He could wait til December 1 to sign but he’s be losing money. If he started at 20 not 19 he would become ufa if he did not play but he needed to accrue that 7th year. Ideally you don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be there. Distraction for the rest of the team.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad