Confirmed with Link: PLD to the Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2nd in 2024 (orig Mtl’s pick)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Bottom roster players dont have much choice. A bottom top nine is what wins. We have been living in luxury with such a talented top six. This is a blessing, wpg didnt lose to vegas’ top six but to their bottom nine.
Canadian teams can't afford depth.

it's not an option.

that's what the weather/tax costs a team.

You need 4-8 million in overpays/lost trades to get a solid top six, that money is sucked away from the bottom six. Every Canadian team suffers from this problem.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ehhh - I guess in hindsight, but I'll always defend this trade. It's not like one more year of PLD is worth more than this to the Jets.

Even if everyone flames out on the Jets side, and PLD develops his game further, it would still be a good risk to take. And it's not like there was another deal out there that would have netted a sure thing, given the circumstances.

The only thing you might evaluate it on is if we should have picked up more picks, as opposed to established NHL players and used the opportunity to embrace a full rebuild, but:

A) That clearly isn't the Jets philosophy

and

B) We still have a bunch of other deals to make if we want to take that route

I'm not knocking the trade. But Vilardi is 80-90% of the return and his injury history makes him quite a risk.

But all-in-all I like the bet.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
He still has Helle to deal with, not to mention Wheeler and Scheifele. He not only has his back to the wall but he is in a corner.

Good start today though.

At the start of the day the jets had 4 players who don't want to be here and now they have 6 who don't want to be here .

:fence:

If they keep chef I'm double gone. They're ready to buy out wheeler, effectively because of his cancerous personality. If they keep chef this was all for nothing.

The reality is this wasn't some great return, it was a team realizing there's no value in a player who doesn't want to sign, because even a slight overpayment will cripple a franchise at best, cripple your locker room and require a buyout.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I'm not knocking the trade. But Vilardi is 80-90% of the return and his injury history makes him quite a risk.

I'd be more worried about PLDs history of quitting on his team than Vilardi's injuries. That's a bigger risk to me. Medical issues can be fixed but it's unlikely a tiger is going to change its stripes.

If I was an LA fan that would make me nervous.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why? There are plenty of goalies like Hart, Thompson, Swayman on the market that should be able to provide it. Just a matter of Chevy getting one.

There are also a lot of teams in dire need of a goalie. Hart is a 90.6 career sv%. Is Thompson available? Sure, if we can get Swayman. What if Helle goes to Buffalo and Comrie is the thrown in goalie?

It just seems like a huge stretch to assume league avg goaltending at this point. Not saying it won't happen but it isn't something we can assume.

If Wheeler is bought out, his contract will last 2 years.

Yes, but it won't be anywhere near 8.25 mil.

Reactions: Sweech

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Jesus, I really didn't think it was just going to be Dubois.
I was convinced it was more than just dubois.

i am genuinely shocked. Theres a lot of good coming back that should balance the jets lineup out too

but that for only dubois? That is very good haul.

if vilardi takes another step next season and doesnt get injured we may have a surprising year ahead of us fellow jets bros and sistaz

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It could never work.

Dubois will screw up their cap structure, he wouldn't play for less than suzuki, and yet he can't be paid more than suzuki without screwing with the team's salary structure. If PLD wants more so does everyone else.

It was never gonna happen, I have no idea where people thought PLD would line up.

Columbus offered pld for Suzuki, and the habs declinned, back when suzuki was just a munkin and PLD was suppose to be a point a game power forward.

the habs would never value pld above suzuki and pld wouldn't play for less than him.

Just the same the Jets could never allow a player to walk like that. They'd be better off from a team building perspective to pay someone to take Dubois than to give the current players any ideas about their ability to make their own trades at a poutine shop.
When you consider UFA years vs RFA years bought, his contract isn't worth more than Suzuki IMO

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
f***... say what you want about Chevy, but he grinds out great returns in tough situations
Is this a photo of Chevy’s cabin?
1B9A6CE1-2F3B-4897-AEF2-A612F67A8049.jpeg

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

The Jets have decided to take the risk of Vilardi over some magic beans in the late first round that might turn into something 4-5 years from now.

You can criticize that decision, but if you take that as an obvious fact, then it's always a good trade and worth the risk.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets have decided to take the risk of Vilardi over some magic beans in the late first round that might turn into something 4-5 years from now.

You can criticize that decision, but if you take that as an obvious fact, then it's always a good trade and worth the risk.

Did you read the last line in the post you quoted?

Both sides are taking risk. Actually, I think LAK are taking the bigger risk. That doesn't mean Vilardi is not a big risk. He absolutely is.

Reactions: Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At the start of the day the jets had 4 players who don't want to be here and now they have 6 who don't want to be here .

:fence:

If they keep chef I'm double gone. They're ready to buy out wheeler, effectively because of his cancerous personality. If they keep chef this was all for nothing.

The reality is this wasn't some great return, it was a team realizing there's no value in a player who doesn't want to sign, because even a slight overpayment will cripple a franchise at best, cripple your locker room and require a buyout.

That's a bit too negative for me. :laugh:

I'd be more worried about PLDs history of quitting on his team than Vilardi's injuries. That's a bigger risk to me. Medical issues can be fixed but it's unlikely a tiger is going to change its stripes.

If I was an LA fan that would make me nervous.

Risk on both sides here, but this will be the first time Dubois has played in a place of his choice. Lets see if he quits again or not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What? Is this real?! AND we got a 2nd round draft pick as well??? And Harkins stays?
Holy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think this is beyond the hopes of anyone here as of a few months ago.

:laugh: Few months? Until today I was expecting PLD for Vilardi + Iafallo. Add a 2nd IF we added Harkins. Kupari came out of left field.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Canadian teams can't afford depth.

it's not an option.

that's what the weather/tax costs a team.

You need 4-8 million in overpays/lost trades to get a solid top six, that money is sucked away from the bottom six. Every Canadian team suffers from this problem.
You have that A backwards. Canadian teams can’t afford to keep top six talent for long. Its those players which have the leverage to move as they feel. Depth players are much cheaper by the goal, its a team game, the knights and leafs proved it again.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, but he COULD have signed a 1 year RFA contract and gone to UFA. A lot of players do that..

He may have got traded as a rental at the deadline but probably for much less.

It still would not have had to wait till the TD. There were several teams interested. That is the probable explanation for the addition of a couple of more pieces without us adding a Stan or Harkins.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I could see this as Chevy's only trade this summer - then either signing Names or another Chevy off the radar deal...

TD market for Helle and Scheif will be off the charts...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad