Playoff Race Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Florida falling ass backwards into points. OTL. And hands CBJ the full two points. And the Islanders win. Looking forward to a Hutchison Horror tomorrow.
hoping Hutch is clutch tomorrow and Andersen will go this weekend doubt but heres to hoping lol.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's almost like every game is a must win from now till the end. Big game tomorrow. If they can win, that would be huge. Maybe Vegas can do us a favour on Thursday?

With so many teams in front of us every night someone seems to be picking up points. The Leafs have struggled many times this season and looks like they are behind the 8 ball when it comes to qualifying.

Reactions: egd27

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I can’t get over the fact that we were two points out of a playoff spot when we fired Babcock and after playing at a 112 POINT PACE for 30 games under Keefe we’re still two points out of a playoff spot. This team has proven it’s elite for almost half a season with a real coach and we haven’t been rewarded for it in the slightest, **** this league lmao

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I can’t get over the fact that we were two points out of a playoff spot when we fired Babcock and after playing at a 112 POINT PACE for 30 games under Keefe we’re still two points out of a playoff spot. This team has proven it’s elite for almost half a season with a real coach and we haven’t been rewarded for it in the slightest, **** this league lmao

it's ridiculous

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is a good lesson for the boys. Blues was fighting for a spot last year and won the Cup. BJs was out till winning their last two games and swept the best team in the regular season. Can’t see why Leafs can’t do that.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It is a good lesson for the boys. Blues was fighting for a spot last year and won the Cup. BJs was out till winning their last two games and swept the best team in the regular season. Can’t see why Leafs can’t do that.
Well they have no defense or team defense

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well they have no defense or team defense
That’s something they will learn if they make the playoffs.
Honestly, I think they are getting better, even before their last game, most of the goals against were resulted of careless plays more than the team not playing defense. They just need to cut down on their individual mistakes and play a simple game.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Honestly, I think they are getting better, even before their last game, most of the goals against were resulted of careless plays more than the team not playing defense. They just need to cut down on their individual mistakes and play a simple game.
If they play a simple game, they'll lose. We are performing at a high level because we play a more difficult but rewarding game than most teams can match. We shouldn't move away from that.

I'd say that our biggest problem continues to be goaltending. Our defense hasn't been good, but it hasn't been 'worst in the league' bad. We're last in the league in save percentage lately though.

Reactions: willmma

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The philosophical question is whether the Leafs can consistently battle that way given the way they are built. The Blues and CBJ also has elite defense and goaltending to fall back on to grind it out. The Leafs are built on offense and when they play to their strengths it becomes a track meet and can easily get away from them. We don’t have a broad base and it remains to be seen whether they can win in all situations.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Yeah I think he was a useful player with sub-optimal usage. Worth the $2.1M in my opinion, but not if he was going to be on a 4th line...but his lack of offensive aptitude made it difficult to justify a bigger role on our high flying squad.

Yes and no...I mean the defensive conscious he brought to the lines he played on are definitely worth 1-2M but it's like he lost his hands (in junior the kid could practically stickhandle in a phone booth) maybe it was a confidence thing...but he seems to have somewhat righted his ship in Ottawa (he was never going to be an offensive dynamo in the NHL)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Panthers look terrible. Problem with being in the back of the pack is these conference games means a team we are chasing is getting points regardless.

That is actually the main reason its so hard to make up ground or fall out of the race quickly.

Potential 3 point games with teams you're chasing like this 1-0 Columbus win in OT handed out points to both teams.

You can't simply hope or count on teams you're chasing to lose games because of head to head matches where the outcome, regardless even if it ended in regulation somebody is always walking away with 2 points.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You should look at the standings by PTS%, that will give a much more accurate picture and you'd see that we're in much better position today than we were then. Just as one example of how distorted a picture you get when looking only at points, when Babs was fired, we were two points ahead of TB. They had 5! games in hand on us though so it was pretty obvious that in the race to the playoffs, we were way behind them.

Going by PTS%, I believe we were 13th overall in the East when Babcock was given the boot, today we're 9th, we're so close to the teams we're chasing that we could even be 6th a week from now while teams not in the top 10 are pretty much out of it. Things are much better today, no doubt about it. As far as being rewarded, you get a point when you don't lose in regulation and another point if you win. That's the same for all teams, so there is zero reason to complain about the league not "rewarding" us.

Big game tonight (they're all big now), would be nice to win and be rewarded with 2 points. GLG!!

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Next 7 games are a prime opportunity for a heater:
Rangers
Ducks
Habs
Coyotes
Dallas
Ottawa
Buffalo

We need to be cautious vs the Rangers. With Georgiev's moxy and value, he'll be making save assists from the bench.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

it's ridiculous

You realize everyone in the playoff hunt has been playing at that pace....the world isn’t out to get the leafs

Columbus has 9 Overtime losses, we have 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad