Playoff Race Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'd much rather face Boston than Tampa this year. Aside from being the better team, I think Tampa is much hungrier after last year. I also think this team would get a bigger boost from beating Boston.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I'd much rather face Boston than Tampa this year. Aside from being the better team, I think Tampa is much hungrier after last year. I also think this team would get a bigger boost from beating Boston.
I agree. I think we need to slay that dragon first before we can move on emotionally

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Matthews Vs McDavid is only trolls try to get Leafs Nation into a fight. Maybe two yrs ago, we could compare those two, but I don’t think anyone would think Matthews is close to McDavid. McDavid is miles ahead of everyone in the NHL at this moment. Playoffs Hockey is another story.

As for the Islanders fans toward JT. I think the team itself had a lot to do with it. As I don’t think they did a tribute when JT first game back, or I could be wrong. On top of that, I don’t think any players stood out and defend JT or at the very least say stuff like he deserves better than this due to what he did with the Islanders.... I just think the Islanders higher ups just want a marketing idea to rally their fans.
They did have a tribute his first game back. Whether you want to blame Islanders' management or JT, his departure from there with nothing coming back angered their fans, many of whom blame JT, for apparently saying he would resign with them, and then not.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not saying this because the Leafs lost tonight and I honestly thought of this before the game. If the NHL didn't have these Wild Card spots and instead had the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs, based on the Atlantic standings Toronto would be a guarantee to make the playoffs once again.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not saying this because the Leafs lost tonight and I honestly thought of this before the game. If the NHL didn't have these Wild Card spots and instead had the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs, based on the Atlantic standings Toronto would be a guarantee to make the playoffs once again.
True, but if it was just the top four in each division, and the Leafs were fifth in the Atlantic but seventh in the East, you'd be in favor of the wild card method.

Not being critical of you, but no matter what system is used, someone will think it's not fair to their team.

Reactions: LeafsRus

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
True, but if it was just the top four in each division, and the Leafs were fifth in the Atlantic but seventh in the East, you'd be in favor of the wild card method.

Not being critical of you, but no matter what system is used, someone will think it's not fair to their team.
The one difference is prior to 1993 which was the final year of the divisional playoff format, if you finished between 1st - 4th that meant you made the playoffs and there was no Wild Card spots at that time. So the NHL went back to that system and changed it with the Wild Card.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The one difference is prior to 1993 which was the final year of the divisional playoff format, if you finished between 1st - 4th that meant you made the playoffs and there was no Wild Card spots at that time. So the NHL went back to that system and changed it with the Wild Card.
In 1993, it just happened that the fourth place team in each division had more points than any of the fifth place teams, so no matter how you did it, 1-4, wild card, or even a straight top sixteen teams, it made no difference.

But the year before, with a wild card, Calgary would have made it instead of Minnesota in the Campbell, and both the Islanders and the Flyers would have made it over Buffalo and Hartford in the Wales.

With rare exceptions, like 1993, no matter how you do it, someone loses out who would have been in under a different system.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think Toronto will definitely make the playoffs at the current trajectory. The question is just if you make it and then lose in the first or second round, is it still a success. And if you trade some future assets for some pieces for the push, does that change your assessment

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
If freddy is out for an extended period, that's probably it for the playoff race.

Hopefully it's nothing serious.

member 300185

ok, so you want a better system where Toronto gets in the playoffs all the time? Gotcha.

The best system where teams earn their spots is top 16 points in the league get in. 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 and so on. That way, its fair for both conferences. A team in the east missing the playoffs with 95 points while a team in the west gets in with 91. Most of the big sports to it that way, why doesnt hockey?

Reactions: OddyOh

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

honestly the best idea which will NEVER happen is the call out method.

1 vs 16 ranked.
1st overall gets to choose opponent.
2nd overall etc.

that would be the most incredible thing. You could literally have a playoff draft. Teams could weigh travel, injuries head to head.

Would NEVER happen. But imagine the ratings.
The caps could chose the 8th in east due to travel. Or whatever BS pacific team gets in..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs current playoff odds sit at 53.8 %

Playoff Probabilities Report | Hockey-Reference.com

RkTeamWLOLPTSCurrentRemainBestWorstSRSSOSPlayoffsWild CardDivisionTop SeedWin ConfWin Cup
Atlantic Division
1Boston Bruins47.519.714.8109.97436125940.780.0399.6%0.4%63.7%31.3%18.8%12.4%
2Tampa Bay Lightning49.224.97.9106.26937123880.81-0.0298.5%1.6%30.7%11.8%16.9%10.2%
3Florida Panthers45.528.18.399.46336122800.390.0479.1%12.8%4.7%1.0%7.6%4.2%
4Toronto Maple Leafs42.928.810.396.26333109810.26-0.0253.8%18.9%0.9%0.1%5.3%2.6%
5Buffalo Sabres37.633.910.585.7533310371-0.200.012.3%1.2%0.2%
6Montreal Canadiens37.933.910.285.95531101730.040.022.7%1.1%0.1%0.1%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1 vs 16 ranked.
1st overall gets to choose opponent.
2nd overall etc.

that would be the most incredible thing. You could literally have a playoff draft. Teams could weigh travel, injuries head to head.

Would NEVER happen. But imagine the ratings.

The caps could chose the 8th in east due to travel. Or whatever BS pacific team gets in..

Yeah I posted this idea a while back. It'll probably never happen because it's just too radical a change but it has a ton going for it IMO. Maybe someone can sell it to the NHL, who knows. I mean the ratings for this playoff draft would be through the roof, that should be enticing. Just imagine the trash talking on the main boards, there would probably be hundreds of people banned on draft night. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Eye Test

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If you had told me at the beginning of the year that we'd lose our Tavares, Rielly, Muzzin, Marner, Andersen, Mikheyev, Dermott and Hyman to long term injuries(Andersen excluded at this point), yeah I'd have slotted us to narrowly make/miss the playoffs.
At a certain point you can only overcome so much.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If you had told me at the beginning of the year that we'd lose our Tavares, Rielly, Muzzin, Marner, Andersen, Mikheyev, Dermott and Hyman to long term injuries(Andersen excluded at this point), yeah I'd have slotted us to narrowly make/miss the playoffs.
At a certain point you can only overcome so much.

You're going to get the whole "Every team deals with injuries" argument from some posters I assume.

I agree though. That is 3 Top 6 forwards, 2 Top 4 D (Maybe 3), #1 Goalie, #5/6 D (Depending how you view Dermott).

Teams have been through injuries, but I would be surprised if they have been through more then that.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
  1. They aren't out of the race for a divisional spot at all.
  2. Team played well last night. 2-3 Players didn't.

While they arent out of the divisional spot they are certainly barely holding on. Overall I think the damage done at the beginning of the season will be to much to overcome. Especially true since I think its going to take 100 points to just get in the WC. I think the Leafs end up with 90-94 points which in most years would get you close to a spot but not this year.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
While they arent out of the divisional spot they are certainly barely holding on. Overall I think the damage done at the beginning of the season will be to much to overcome. Especially true since I think its going to take 100 points to just get in the WC. I think the Leafs end up with 90-94 points which in most years would get you close to a spot but not this year.

Eh. I'd say it's a 55/45 split for whether they make it or not.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Why would it take 100 points to get into the WC spot ?

Is that just your opinion or is there some information to back that up (Serious question, would be interesting to see if there is info) ?

If they continue on their pace since Keefe they are pacing at 102-103 points.

Again, where is the 90-94 points from ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good news is we have the 3rd easiest schedule in league left. So if Freddy gets back asap we still get in. But based on playing our division leaders we are likely out 1st round again. All of Tampa, Boston and Florida have the weapons to beat us. We will get a game or two maybe 3 if really lucky. Bottom line Freddy is not Rask, Vasi or Bobbo. So folks we need to think big here. As another poster noted we have 2-3 years maximum in Tavares so let's take advantage. A Price or Crawford would help us get over the top.

Reactions: LeafsRus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad