Players Who Are Less Than Their Resumes?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
that would be an weird again case to make.

Save Percentage finish (3-6-9-10)
1981-82 NHL .898 (3rd)
1984-85 NHL .884 (10th)
1985-86 NHL .890 (6th)
1992-93 NHL .893 (9th)

Career gsaa: -37
playoff career gsaa: 3.9

Vezina: 1-2-3-3-5-6-6 (is quite solid)
4x cup but 0 Smythe which can be incriminating.

Does a kid looking at the back of an Grant Fuhr hockey card or hockey reference page as any change to overrate him a lot ?

We usually heard these argument that he was more than is resume, with a you need to go look for when he stopped any goal, timing in series of performance...

But 4xcup + 1987 canada cup, is in a sense quite the team success resume

Attachments

• said.PNG
    said.PNG
    411.2 KB · Views: 2

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Marian Hossa is one of these guys.

He has an impressive resume on paper but I never saw him as “the” guy on his team aside from his limited time in Atlanta with Kovalchuk where he never won a playoff series.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My go-to guy for this is Rob Blake. His resume is obviously HHOF-worthy but watching his whole career very closely he wasn't even close to the player his resume suggests.

Then you obviously have Mike Vernon, who ticks a ton of HHOF boxes and somehow got voted in but simply was not a very good goalie for most of his career.

Reactions: MadArcand

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

He has an impressive resume on paper but I never saw him as “the” guy on his team aside from his limited time in Atlanta with Kovalchuk where he never won a playoff series.
I think Hossa is the exact opposite of this. Winger that gets judged on his goal/point totals and "no Selke finals" despite probably being the 2-way winger of his generation. On HFBoards, the "Hossa shouldn't be in the HHOF" crowd was very big into the resume counting... as well as the Basketball like analysis of "the" guy... for why they thought he wouldn't get in.

For purposes of this thread, I'm weighing heavily on the individual resume in terms of Awards, Accolades, Point Totals, Point Finishes and less to the Team Accomplishments which I think are a bit lesser in terms of an individual resume.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Price is the inverse of this.

His paper resume isn't great, whether by AS finishes or Vezina. But there was a five year period where he was considered the best goalie in the world.

This thread is more for a guy like Martin St. Louis. Point finishes of 1,1,2,5,6 overstates how good he is.
I did laugh that literally the first reply was the exact opposite of the purpose of the thread. Especially that the evidence that Price is worse than his resume is taking shots at Price's resume.

I think Phil Esposito was great, but the historical record probably makes him look a bit better than he was.

(By the way, I personally would have Rocket Richard and Chris Pronger in threads for where the historical record doesn't make them look as good as they were.)
Esposito was the first name I thought of. The trophies obviously make him look better than he was, in that his resume looks like a contender for top ten player ever when he isn't that. Good odds someone will take that as insulting to Esposito. I also agree that Richard and Pronger are obviously better than their resumes indicate, Pronger in particular.

I'd look at one dimensional players here, players who were in ideal situations, players who were lucky with their timing or what position (left wing outside of Hull/Ovechkin years) they played. St. Louis was mentioned and that's a great answer. I suspect that Geoffrion belongs here too. Robitaille fits here. Kane fits for me. Langway, who was one dimensional but not in the usual way, fits here. Dryden is not as good as his resume.

Obligatory Tim Thomas mention as well.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I think Phil Esposito was great, but the historical record probably makes him look a bit better than he was.

(By the way, I personally would have Rocket Richard and Chris Pronger in threads for where the historical record doesn't make them look as good as they were.)

Pronger comes to mind as the guy where he was better than the surprisingly low 4 season end all-stars show, I agree.

Rocket to this day is still 8th in playoff goals with 82 and this despite playing in a lower scoring era with a maximum of two playoff rounds. Yeah, not overrated.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
One reason Pronger resume outside 2000 is a bit low is that the nhl do not have a 6 player all star team for the playoff, only the regular season.

He could be a 3 time playoff first time all star, right now it is a bit Smythe or nothing. MIssing very often a 10-20-30 games probably being another.

2001-2007, whole 2003, the lockout, lot of seasons during his peak getting a bit burned.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

That's because he wasn't the guy outside of a couple years in Ottawa

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
One reason Pronger resume outside 2000 is a bit low is that the nhl do not have a 6 player all star team for the playoff, only the regular season.

He could be a 3 time playoff first time all star, right now it is a bit Smythe or nothing. MIssing very often a 10-20-30 games probably being another.

2001-2007, whole 2003, the lockout, lot of seasons during his peak getting a bit burned.
Pronger just did worse in all star voting than he should have. I mainly assume it's because he was an arsehole, pretty similar to Potvin really. There are several years where he should have made an all star team and didn't. The voting isn't even reflective of general opinion at the time, where for example during the 2000s one would think that people preferred Chara to Pronger and that was generally not true. Throw in a poorly timed injury or two and you end up with Pronger's on paper resume lagging behind his actual play/reputation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad