Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers waive Lavoie again

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I almost want Bouchard/Nurse for a chunk, just to see how far Bouchard has come, because if Bouchard can only play well with Ekholm, wouldn't the Oilers want to know now, before they lock him to an 8 year deal @ 10 million per plus?? Imagine having 2 Dmen locked up long term, both north of 9 million per, that can't anchor their own D pairing, that would be SO BAD, looking like Nurse might not even be a 2nd pairing guy now, if that's the case, they cannot afford to be wrong about Bouchard too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I almost want Bouchard/Nurse for a chunk, just to see how far Bouchard has come, because if Bouchard can only play well with Ekholm, wouldn't the Oilers want to know now, before they lock him to an 8 year deal @ 10 million per plus?? Imagine having 2 Dmen locked up long term, both north of 9 million per, that can't anchor their own D pairing, that would be SO BAD, looking like Nurse might not even be a 2nd pairing guy now, if that's the case, they cannot afford to be wrong about Bouchard too.
Bouch at minimum is an elite offensive defenseman. Playing him with Nurse could really send his game spiraling. If Ekholm got hurt I'd pair him with Kulak first.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Broberg another assist tonight. Watching him play.... And how good he is all over the ice makes me question what the flying f*** Oilers management were thinking when they played Vinny over Broberg last year until the playoffs
He shit the bed every single pre-season. Good for him for doing well but we couldn't afford a mini-Nurse contract if he took a step backwards.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He shit the bed every single pre-season. Good for him for doing well but we couldn't afford a mini-Nurse contract if he took a step backwards.

5th among Blues D tonight in CF%. Was on the bench for the Blues goal that a Sharks player put in his own net. And ... it's the Sharks :) and Blues actually finding a way to lose to them.

Possession wise though, Holloway having a solid game again.

Reactions: Oilhawks

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Bouch at minimum is an elite offensive defenseman. Playing him with Nurse could really send his game spiraling. If Ekholm got hurt I'd pair him with Kulak first.
I agree, he's definitely elite offensively, but if he requires a Ekholm level partner to be that 5on5, they need to know that before they pay him top 5 Dman in world money. If he needs a stud like Ek as a partner, then he isn't worth 10 million per plus, imo. If he can do it with Kulak, then he deserves it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's becoming clear Nurse will sewer any pairing he's on. It wouldn't have mattered at all who his partner was last night, he still makes those braindead plays all on his own.
No. It will be obvious when we get him someone good to play with and he looks bad still. Until then it will always be unknown.

Even if he looks bad in isolation now, that still doesn't prove. Having a bottom pair D in a top 4 role can make his partner develop bad habits, just like how a poor D can breed bad habits in a goalie

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree, he's definitely elite offensively, but if he requires a Ekholm level partner to be that 5on5, they need to know that before they pay him top 5 Dman in world money. If he needs a stud like Ek as a partner, then he isn't worth 10 million per plus, imo. If he can do it with Kulak, then he deserves it.
$10 million isn't what it used to be. The cap is going up and so will the AAV's for the top players at every position in the league.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No. It will be obvious when we get him someone good to play with and he looks bad still. Until then it will always be unknown.

Even if he looks bad in isolation now, that still doesn't prove. Having a bottom pair D in a top 4 role can make his partner develop bad habits, just like how a poor D can breed bad habits in a goalie
He makes 9M. He should be the good one on his pairing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He makes 9M. He should be the good one on his pairing.
Sure I can agree there. But it's a dysfunctional situation to put any player in. He should be playing with a top 4 Dman. Bouchard looked like crap before he was stapled to Ekholm too.

Also what high paid Dman carries a bottom pair guy? It's not like Makar plays with a Ceci or Emberson (not that Nurse is as good as him). In general teams will stack odds in favor of a player if they want success, not against them

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Last playoffs, Bouch was making better defensive reads and plays than I ever saw Nurse do at any point of his career. I feel like if you played Bouch with Nurse, it would end with his agent being able to argue he's worth 12M+ as he carries a 9.25M turd around all year, and still puts up 80+ points with his PP time.

For the sake of salary, I think Ekholm commanding so much respect as the vet in his pair, making 6M might help are argument a lot better.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
But we would have lost 5-0 instead of 6-0 with him in the lineup, maybe.

I have to be a little fair to him. It's possible he learned that weird way to play a pass from behind the net from Nurse. Turning it all into an own goal he deflects over his goalies pad is actually technically going full Nurse.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Broberg another assist tonight. Watching him play.... And how good he is all over the ice makes me question what the flying f*** Oilers management were thinking when they played Vinny over Broberg last year until the playoffs
He passed the puck from the slot and went off for a change before the goal was scored. minimal impact on that goal. 4 sharks were behind the play and the ice was wide open. A Jr player makes that play.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sure I can agree there. But it's a dysfunctional situation to put any player in. He should be playing with a top 4 Dman. Bouchard looked like crap before he was stapled to Ekholm too.

Also what high paid Dman carries a bottom pair guy? It's not like Makar plays with a Ceci or Emberson (not that Nurse is as good as him). In general teams will stack odds in favor of a player if they want success, not against them
Nurse’ cap hit prohibits the team from getting him a great partner. Everything he’s going through right now is of his own doing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Maybe, but I still doubt it, because they know the Oilers are going to claim their player back, I feel it has to be a team that just tried to f*** with the Oilers.

:facepalm: No, just no.
Yes. There's so few RD going to be available. I don't want it to be true either, but it could happen. Our best bet is probably a guy like Jan Ruuta from the Sharks. And I'm not sure if he's better than Ceci. He's literally never played for a decent team, ha ha.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yes. There's so few RD going to be available. I don't want it to be true either, but it could happen. Our best bet is probably a guy like Jan Ruuta from the Sharks. And I'm not sure if he's better than Ceci. He's literally never played for a decent team, ha ha.

2-time Stanley Cup winner Jan Rutta has literally never played for a decent team?

Reactions: North

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I hope some team pick up Lavoie and keep him for good. This is getting insulting to Lavoie at this point
All the teams had the chance, both times. The HF echo chamber has just inflated his perceived value. I know he can score, but he'd need to score thirty, because of the rest of his game. He lacks consistent effort without the puck, and he isn't very good on the wall, soft even, nobody here talks about that, but it's not how you win an NHL job.

Watch how Philp will acquire opportunity, they won't hold him back, because he plays the right way.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse’ cap hit prohibits the team from getting him a great partner. Everything he’s going through right now is of his own doing.
Whatever amount Nurse is overpaid by, it's not close to the amount of cap and assets we spent or wasted bolstering other parts of the lineup. Besides, I don't see the point of the blame game here while it doesn't accomplish anything. The interesting topic is how we make the team work within what is possible

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Said it before, saying it again and yes it is a hill I am prepared to die on. S. Skinner is not the guy who will backstop this team to a championship. You can’t rely on hoping to get “good skinner” on a game to game basis. The defense has holes too and it’s another vortex of mystery. We’ll see what kind of patience Bowman has and what he does to manage the cap.
Well, he nearly backstopped them to one last season so not sure how you can say that with such certainty.
This is a guy who went toe to toe with Oettinger and Bobrovsky and it's not like the Oilers had a 70s Canadiens defense sheltering him. This seems to be forgotten because of 1 regular season game.

The reality is that I don't see how you can find a clearly better goalie than Skinner and what do you do? Trade Skinner in the package too because any high level starter is going to come with a big price tag.

The realistic path to improving the team is the defense. Skinner is good enough to win them a Cup, as evidenced by last season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Whatever amount Nurse is overpaid by, it's not close to the amount of cap and assets we spent or wasted bolstering other parts of the lineup. Besides, I don't see the point of the blame game here while it doesn't accomplish anything. The interesting topic is how we make the team work within what is possible

Jettisoning Jeff Skinner and using that money to acquire an actual 2RD which is what should have been done in the summer not once but twice.

The first was not signing him in the first place and instead signing or trading for a 2RD, esp when trade costs will be lower than at the start of a season or mid season. The second was the offer sheet conundrum.

The team is so locked into accruing cap space that they are making an unnecessary gamble.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
All the teams had the chance, both times. The HF echo chamber has just inflated his perceived value. I know he can score, but he'd need to score thirty, because of the rest of his game. He lacks consistent effort without the puck, and he isn't very good on the wall, soft even, nobody here talks about that, but it's not how you win an NHL job.

Watch how Philp will acquire opportunity, they won't hold him back, because he plays the right way.
Excellent points. Hope he does get a chance at the NHL though, all this waiver and AHL yo-yoing can't be good for a young player.

IMO, our meatball fanbase wants anyone in over Ryan. Replace him with a flawed player with a shot or another young player with some speed/offense - at least perceived, and not shown at the NHL level.

Then who handles the D-zone starts and PK minutes that Ryan excels at? A hockey team isn't just playing your 18 best players who can all score and forget everything else.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He passed the puck from the slot and went off for a change before the goal was scored. minimal impact on that goal. 4 sharks were behind the play and the ice was wide open. A Jr player makes that play.
Shhhh he doesn’t want context.

Broberg and Faulk were caved their first game.

Don’t know how they looked against San Jose but I mean it was San Jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad