Player Discussion: Brock Boeser | III | Our Boy in College

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Possibility he's in Vancouver next season.

Very happy to hear this. Tons of people here wanted him to return but why? He dominated, plain and simple. Lets see what he can do at the AHL level if he isn't ready for the NHL.

He should be following the Max Pacioretty development curve: Drafted out of the USHL, have a great year in the NCAA, split time between AHL and NHL in draft +2 season.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Benning wants him to turn pro bc if they dont make the playoffs next year they are all getting fired.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The McCann, Boeser, Demko, Tryamkin picks give me hope that after years of poor drafting our scouting/drafting have finally turned a corner. Early days but that's an impressive haul for a couple of late firsts, a second and a third rounder.
I'd like to see Boeser, Demko and McCann all spend the next year in Utica learning the pro game under Green. There's no need to rush any of them and bring them up too early in what is sure to be a challenging environment, to say the least.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
dont think he's quite physically ready (fitness wise) for the pro yet
unless he has insane off season training, likely wont make "huge" impact right out of the gate alas our other first pick's first pro season (i'm playing safe here)
having said that, i wouldnt mind him to turn pro next yr or stay another year in UND

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I must have been wrong all this time. Thought Boeser had to play either at UND or in the NHL (i.e. not the AHL) until the 17/18 season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Boeser's performance in the WJC has tempered my expectations for him a bit despite his stellar season in college. The good thing is that he should be physically ready to play in the AHL, so there shouldn't be any concern there despite being 19.

Green seems to have done a great job with our prospects and if Boeser wants to sign and turn pro I say let him.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I must have been wrong all this time. Thought Boeser had to play either at UND or in the NHL (i.e. not the AHL) until the 17/18 season.

That's how it works for the CHL. CHL players must turn 20 before they can play in the AHL, so it's two years, or one year if the player is born from September 16th to December 31st.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I know a bit of cross talk is normal but let's try to keep the more derisive/defensive Benning talk in the Management threads.

Most of you have done so, but had to clean up some stuff.

thanks

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I find the choice of words interesting...will "let" him choose to turn pro if he wants. They have no real choice in the matter if he wants to go pro really. Anyways, no idea if he should or not but if he's thinking about leaving school in another year anyways then that extra year of pro-earnings may be enticing for him. I'd be interested to see how he does in the pro game.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
I find the choice of words interesting...will "let" him choose to turn pro if he wants. They have no real choice in the matter if he wants to go pro really. Anyways, no idea if he should or not but if he's thinking about leaving school in another year anyways then that extra year of pro-earnings may be enticing for him. I'd be interested to see how he does in the pro game.

The Canucks do have a choice. He can't play pro hockey in north america until the team that drafted him and owns his rights offers him a pro contract.

I guess he could go play in Europe.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I think Boeser's performance in the WJC has tempered my expectations for him a bit despite his stellar season in college. The good thing is that he should be physically ready to play in the AHL, so there shouldn't be any concern there despite being 19.

Green seems to have done a great job with our prospects and if Boeser wants to sign and turn pro I say let him.

Agree. He seems to struggle a bit in high paced games like WJC and the last UND playoff game. Doesn't look NHL ready to me.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Pretty much, this season was so bad they have changed their mind from development to promotion.

Maybe. I think his dominance in his freshman year has them rethinking his development path. Given he finished as top goal scorer and points in the NCHC as a freshman and 5th overall in the entire NCAA, what really does he have to further learn at that level? Is another season in collegiate hockey going to be better for his development than playing in the AHL or NHL?

If the kid wants to stay in college fine, but otherwise, given what he has done this season, why not sign him and get him onto a pro training/nutritional regime and ready for camp?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
That's how it works for the CHL. CHL players must turn 20 before they can play in the AHL, so it's two years, or one year if the player is born from September 16th to December 31st.

Thx...it's all clear to me now :)

Brent Burns Beard