GWT: PL Matchweek 10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Literally the same issue OGS was complaining about before the international break, although United even less rest. There is no logic in making teams that play in Europe in the midweek to play the early Saturday game.
Absolutely. This isn’t just a LFC or Utd issue. It’s nonsense and it’s easily solvable.

Reactions: Jussi

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Overall a really good first half from Gallagher. Hopefully he's given a shot with Chelsea next year, he should be ready to fill that defensive midfielder role for us on rotation at least.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If three subs is supposed to level the playing field for the likes of Sheffield United, I’d hate to see how poor they would be with five subs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't think Sheffield is as bad as 1 point from 10 games. Not sure if it's the poor finishing or bad luck but either way they'll need to do a whole lot to avoid relegation. Think there are a few teams that aren't much better so they'll have a shot to climb out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sheffield isn’t 1 point from 10 games bad. But I mean I don’t think they’re much better than all the other lower tier teams in the PL.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sheffield isn’t 1 point from 10 games bad. But I mean I don’t think they’re much better than all the other lower tier teams in the PL.

They’ve had atrocious finishing this year.

They have 4 goals scored in 10 games but have 12 xG over that timeframe which is good for 11th in the league.

When you add that to the fact that they’ve been bad defensively (2nd most xGA behind only WBA) you end up with bad results.

Based on “expected” performances they should probably be about 15th this year.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

They have 4 goals scored in 10 games but have 12 xG over that timeframe which is good for 11th in the league.

When you add that to the fact that they’ve been bad defensively (2nd most xGA behind only WBA) you end up with bad results.

Yea, they are underperforming relative to expectations, but they still haven't been great.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Meant to post when he scored but forgot to. Conor Gallagher is f***ing quality. I have no idea where he fits into Chelsea going forward (@Blender I don't see him in the DM spot, he's way too creative and energetic for that, I think he's an 8 in the long term), but I want him here for the long run. I jumped on the hype train early last year when he started playing so well at Charlton, and I've been really impressed by how effortlessly he's adapted to playing in the top division.

Reactions: Blender and Tuggy

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Makes sense. Offensively they’ve never been anything close to great so now that the defense is struggling I’m not surprised their struggling this much.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Meant to post when he scored but forgot to. Conor Gallagher is f***ing quality. I have no idea where he fits into Chelsea going forward (@Blender I don't see him in the DM spot, he's way too creative and energetic for that, I think he's an 8 in the long term), but I want him here for the long run. I jumped on the hype train early last year when he started playing so well at Charlton, and I've been really impressed by how effortlessly he's adapted to playing in the top division.
I see him as a defensive midfielder, but I think we've had enough discussions to know that I don't really believe in the traditional static DM that just sits in the hole in front of the defense so I'm fine calling him an 8. I much prefer a Kante or Ndidi type DM that has the freedom to roam and pressure all over the pitch looking to break up attacks as high up the field as possible, and is also used to scoop up those loose balls and quickly transition to a counter-attack. He's right at the top of the league this year for tackles and pressures so far, and you can see it when watching him that he's all over guys when defending. He's showing some real promise as a press-resistant midfielder with his passing and dribbling abilities, which is such an important aspect of the midfield in the current game.

This doesn't include the game today obviously, but his stats are pretty impressive for playing for such a black hole of a club.

xKrb0zn.png

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I see him as a defensive midfielder, but I think we've had enough discussions to know that I don't really believe in the traditional static DM that just sits in the hole in front of the defense so I'm fine calling him an 8. I much prefer a Kante or Ndidi type DM that has the freedom to roam and pressure all over the pitch looking to break up attacks as high up the field as possible, and is also used to scoop up those loose balls and quickly transition to a counter-attack. He's right at the top of the league this year for tackles and pressures so far, and you can see it when watching him that he's all over guys when defending. He's showing some real promise as a press-resistant midfielder with his passing and dribbling abilities, which is such an important aspect of the midfield in the current game.

This doesn't include the game today obviously, but his stats are pretty impressive for playing for such a black hole of a club.

xKrb0zn.png

You know I love me a Kante style DM, I just see Gallagher as more of a Kovacic than a Kante, precisely because of that really impressive pressing resistance and tenacity. Thinking in terms of our young guys going forward, I see Gilmour (and hopefully Ampadu) as the future in that deeper position.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
You know I love me a Kante style DM, I just see Gallagher as more of a Kovacic than a Kante, precisely because of that really impressive pressing resistance and tenacity. Thinking in terms of our young guys going forward, I see Gilmour (and hopefully Ampadu) as the future in that deeper position.

It would be quite something to have all of Ampadu, Gallagher, Gilmour and Mount to be regulars together for several years. Kind of the Beckham bunch for Man Utd.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

5 of their 9 losses are 1-0 defeats. They've lost only 2 games by more than 1 goal, the first game of the year to Wolves and against Chelsea. I think losing O'Connell after the 2nd game has really hurt their confidence and defensive system. He was their best defensive player last season. They don't look nearly as close to securing a clean sheet like they did last season. The strikers can't hit the net and they lack a playmaker to open defenses up. They really need a 10 to come in as guys like Norwood and Fleck aren't cutting it this year.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Lost the last leg of a 4 leg parlay 10 to win 160 on Sheffield today. Only to find out that they didn’t score off 3.25xg. Fackkkkk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad