GWT: PL Matchweek 10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
On the broadcaster point, is it actually confirmed that the broadcasters are dictating (or at the least influencing) scheduling like that? If it is, you'd think this is an easy one that Klopp may actually succeed in changing. I'd imagine BT/Sky would rather avoid the controversy.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
City have a ridiculously easy fixture list coming up, they will get back to being considered title challengers soon. Gotta pack the fantasy team with City players.

Reactions: King Makar19

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Hopefully Liverpool will never play in the EL again :laugh:

Not that I don't agree that there are too many games. The League cup should be scrapped and the PL should be 18 teams. That is between 4 and 9/10 games less. Wouldn't solve the Wed-Sat or Thu-Sun issue, but it would give players a lot more time to recover and teams the possibility to have proper training sessions whenever there is a week between games.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
On the broadcaster point, is it actually confirmed that the broadcasters are dictating (or at the least influencing) scheduling like that? If it is, you'd think this is an easy one that Klopp may actually succeed in changing. I'd imagine BT/Sky would rather avoid the controversy.
I don’t have all the pieces to the puzzle for that but it’s an interesting question. I’d assume the broadcasters have at least some say on what teams go to what time slot but I don’t know how the UK/PL/BT whoever does that. I do think it’s shortsighted that they can’t swap/flex games. There is no reason that WBA/Sheffield couldn’t have been the early game instead of the late game today. We’ve know what the CL fixtures have been for months.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Let's not forget that players got injured before as well. A bit like Covid-19 - people died before also.

And it is not a question of having "many" days before that one match. Clearly any player could play wed-sat once. Could play two days in a row once. It is the accumulation of games over time that is the main issue.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Listen, I understand the hate towards PL referee's. But quoting a tweet from four years ago isn't too relevant.

It is relevant, the referee bias is institutionalized and the main pieces behind the potential corruption are still there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm going with the same opinion I had in the european game this week. Contact from Robertson on Wellbeck? Yes. Pen? No. He was taking the ball away from the net, he had no control of it, and it had no impact on the play (Wellbeck taking two steps and then flopping was pretty funny, too).

I really wish there was a bigger use of indirect free kicks in the box for obvious non-scoring opportunities. I'm not going to complain about the other things as that's how they've been implemented for everyone; if you are fractionally offside you are offside. Nothing really to complain about there; I am all for favouring the defensive players in these situations given how many rules have been introduced to favour the offensive side.

EDIT: I was wrong above, it was actually the Brighton game last week (MW9) where March made contact and I called it no pen, not a midweek game.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You can't kick someone. Unlucky? Yes. Penalty? Yes.

VAR for offside is in theory fine, but how can you know the exact moment the ball leaves someone's foot? And how can you know the exact place where a body part is offside or not? At least with the boot you can tell somewhat precisely. When an arm is out-stretched or something like that I have no idea how anyone can exactly tell where the part of the body that can be offside starts and where the arm ends. How we got medical doctors in the bus determining this?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The issue isn’t a Saturday game, Liverpool needs to play today, it’s the 12:30 local kickoff as opposed to 4:30 or 7pm.

Literally the same issue OGS was complaining about before the international break, although United even less rest. There is no logic in making teams that play in Europe in the midweek to play the early Saturday game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Good strike, but I think Pickford still should have got there. It wasn’t struck *that* hard, was a bit inside the post, and it still beat Pickford by several feet. Either he reacted way too late or was in a poor position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad