GWT: PL Matchweek 10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean what klopp is saying makes sense.

All European teams should be playing on Sunday or the Monday game.

I get it they can’t do it for ratings etc... but it would solve a whole bunch of problems.

or you know go to five subs.

Liverpool play on Tuesday next week. They have to play today or be in an even worse spot midweek next week.

Becuase the CL rotates tues and Wednesday games, when a team has a Wednesday game one week and a Tuesday game the next you’re gonna have a tight schedule. The best way to address that is to put those teams on a late afternoon/evening game on Saturday. Not only does it give a few extra hours it also means their bodies are on a consistent schedule for the full time, which actually matter a good amount from a muscle usage standpoint.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mane being fairly ruled offside would have been beneficial to my team? What?

All I'm saying is, if that's a good goal back in the day, it gets forgotten about, just like the other ones in this game.

If they're gonna make calls like that one, that's cool, but when they're breaking out the laser-powered microscopes or just looking for things that might be there, it's sabotaging the game.

That's what that penalty was. They're just looking to find things.
You said you can live with Mane’s goal not being called off. Unless I’m miss interpreting what you said.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Two things to me make it different. Salah had more possession than Welbeck did. The PK was called on the field, not from upstairs.

not trying to change your mind, sharing my opinion on the matter.
Possession has no bearing on whether or now it's a foul, though.

Whether it's the call on the field or not is relevant depending on how they're approaching VAR decisions, in my opinion. Even in today's case, it wasn't made upstairs, the referee overruled himself. They should be approaching these reviews with more skepticism of their reading in real-time, rather than trying to find a reason why they were right in the first place.

Wilder shot first. :) Really interesting because Wilder was one of, if not the most complimentary of Klopp last season.
It's completely out of left field from Wilder. No idea what the motivation is, if it's just down to feeling like Liverpool is trying to get a leg up at Sheffield's expense, but he seems personally offended by Klopp's campaigning.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
This should be a no brainer decision. The burnout for these players is going to be insane between the already intense schedule and the Euros and WC coming up fast.
I don’t know which clubs voted against but I imagine those clubs are less worried about their players being burnt out from international football because fewer of their players play international football. They’re also not worried about Europe.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The issue isn’t a Saturday game, Liverpool needs to play today, it’s the 12:30 local kickoff as opposed to 4:30 or 7pm.
I'm not discounting the time difference being a factor thing, but can you explain to me how a 2.5 to 5 hour difference is preventing Milner from getting injured today? I find it hard to believe a couple hours rest is the difference between picking up a knock and not.

Maybe if a club is flying in from Azerbaijan on a Thursday and they're all screwed up from the time difference/travel, but Liverpool were home in the CL this week.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I *might* agree if you had camera angles that were perpendicular to the field every yard or two so that you could actually get a real shot of the play. But you don’t have that so lines are the only way to overcome optical illusions and have anything resembling a real VAR.
You need VAR to overturn stuff like this. This is “clear and obvious” and requires no additional lines, angles, etc.

You don’t need VAR to zoom into armpits, butts and toenails. You don’t need VAR to use additional cameras. The more “fud” you introduce, the more it strays from “clear and obvious”.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t know which clubs voted against but I imagine those clubs are less worried about their players being burnt out from international football because fewer of their players play international football. They’re also not worried about Europe.

It’s actually a case where the vaunted one club one vote thing doesn’t turn out well because the clubs don’t have remotely similar circumstances.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I *might* agree if you had camera angles that were perpendicular to the field every yard or two so that you could actually get a real shot of the play. But you don’t have that so lines are the only way to overcome optical illusions and have anything resembling a real VAR.
If we need cameras every two yards, we're trying too hard.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Liverpool play on Tuesday next week. They have to play today or be in an even worse spot midweek next week.

Becuase the CL rotates tues and Wednesday games, when a team has a Wednesday game one week and a Tuesday game the next you’re gonna have a tight schedule. The best way to address that is to put those teams on a late afternoon/evening game on Saturday. Not only does it give a few extra hours it also means their bodies are on a consistent schedule for the full time, which actually matter a good amount from a muscle usage standpoint.

Shit, Ajax is Tuesday, I completely forgot

what an absolute cluster f***

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'm not discounting the time difference being a factor thing, but can you explain to me how a 2.5 to 5 hour difference is preventing Milner from getting injured today? I find it hard to believe a couple hours rest is the difference between picking up a knock and not.

Maybe if a club is flying in from Azerbaijan on a Thursday and they're all screwed up from the time difference/travel, but Liverpool were home in the CL this week.
Blaming the broadcaster for Milner’s injury is definitely exaggerated but I think it’s fair to say 12:30 kickoff after Wednesday Champions League does not help when injury fears are already heightened (and TBH well founded) by no preseason, fixture congestion and three subs.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I didn’t say all the VAR calls have been correct, there’s some I’ve clearly opposed at the time. But the Salah call isn’t one of those.
And that’s fair too. There have been worse offsides for sure. My point is showing an example of a clear and obvious VAR overturn that didn’t need any special technology. This is closer to keeping VAR and maintaining that spirit of the game quotient that people live to bring up. I certainly saw this at the time and said the PL needed instant replay.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Expect a huge corruption scandal about PL referees to be revealed in.m a few years.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

1.) United had to deal with a Wednesday game in Turkey and a Saturday 12:30 kickoff, so your hypothetical has basically happened already.

2.) The time matters a bit, although it’s not massive. The bigger difference is actually consistent schedule in terms of when you sleep, when you warm up, etc. That matters less the longer between games, but when you’ve got 3 games in 6 days, the little things add up.

It may not prevent an injury, but it’s just a simple thing that helps and it’s basically a zero cost solution to implement.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Blaming the broadcaster for Milner’s injury is definitely exaggerated but I think it’s fair to say 12:30 kickoff after Wednesday Champions League does not help when injury fears are already heightened (and TBH well founded) by no preseason, fixture congestion and three subs.
Yeah. It’s not an isolated incident. It builds up and it is avoidable. Liverpool have a big team of sports scientists that are probably telling Klopp how bad it is and his team is feeling it the worst. He’s rightfully frustrated. I’m sure the additional hours wouldn’t hurt and it’s an easy fix. Why is WBA vs Sheffield the late game and LFC and City playing early. It doesn’t make sense. If the answer is ratings, then yes the broadcasters are impacting this.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Expect a huge corruption scandal about PL referees to be revealed in.m a few years.

Not ready to go full conspiracy theory but even this year during the Merseyside Derby, LFC put a complaint in because they were getting very inconsistent messaging on over if reviews were being done or not. So that doesn’t shock me that people are being told to say one thing, when it’s the other thing. We know that is still happening four years later.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thiago worries me. And the toll that the derby took is frustrating.
I mean yes and no. We knew Thiago was injury prone, but he was hurt because of a Red Card horror tackle. Frankly they are lucky he has (so far) avoided surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad