GWT: PL Matchweek 10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
While watching live i did not think it was a pen. Considering other calls around the league this year, I'm not surprised by the final decision.

All and all the share of points is probably a fair result.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I said a few weeks into the season that referee decisions were now going against Liverpool. Pretty blatant that the PL want a close title race. They even say so themselves. The league uses VAR to push an agenda, they can pick and choose their favorites. Uniteds top 4 run last season would never have happened without referee bias.

Leicester already have 8 penalties this season and basically none of them were correctly given. 8 in a whole season is usually the biggest tally over a whole season. They've had a season's worth of pens already. Their title winning season involed them getting constant cheap calls as well, they ceirtainly did not deserve to win the league. Expect no less from the media fairytale darlings.

Arsenal have 10 pentalites since 2018 despite having a lot more touches in the box than Leicester since then. I've just realised that we've been robbed of 5 points in 2020 against Leicester. Vardy offside goal in July, Vardy's red card offence conveniently not seen and Lacazette goal disallowed at the Emirates.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t want to take anything away from Brighton who played well but it really feels that way. Especially with the Milner injury. Feels like a loss.
I feel like there's always all this conjecture on these big VAR calls and that's the first sign you're doing something wrong.

By the language of the rules, VAR was introduced to correct calls where everyone in the building knew they f***ed it up when they saw it the first time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m not going to say it wasn’t a foul by Robertson, but I am going to say I’ve been watching soccer at least once a week for almost 20 years, and I have never seen a PK called for a play like that in real time.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Salah being ruled offside because of his toe nails is a joke.

not even going to touch the pen.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I feel like there's always all this conjecture on these big VAR calls and that's the first sign you're doing something wrong.

By the language of the rules, VAR was introduced to correct calls where everyone in the building knew they f***ed it up when they saw it the first time.
And in other leagues it is. PL on the other hand never wanted it so they are implementing it terribly. It’s sabotage. The sad thing is that it gets calls right. VAR should be there to overturn offsides like Sterling vs Man City in 2013, not looking to overrule things the naked eye can’t see.

said it before. Makes me think of hockey when they challenge for offsides just hoping the camera finds something. Game 1 of Penguins/Predators Stanley Cup final where Subban’s goal got ruled out because of a fractional skate position is the best example. That was Salah’s toenail today.

Reactions: Machinehead

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the post game show is nailing the pen call:
  • Real time not a pen, when you slow it down an adjust the angle with VAR, yeah it can be a pen..
  • Nature of today's game is that these are going to be pens more frequently. It needs to be clear and obvious to over turn, but when you can slow it down and have great angles, over turning becomes too easy
  • The bar for reviewing things is become less and less as time goes on so we are only going to have more controversial pen calls

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I said a few weeks into the season that referee decisions were now going against Liverpool. Pretty blatant that the PL want a close title race.
I’m not going to go this far.

Completely irrespective of the title race, VAR as it’s currently used in the PL is a net negative. It’s the center of attention week in, week out. When you find yourself talking more about VAR than the actual game, it’s not working.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And in other leagues it is. PL on the other hand never wanted it so they are implementing it terribly. It’s sabotage. The sad thing is that it gets calls right. VAR should be there to overturn offsides like Sterling vs Man City in 2013, not looking to overrule things the naked eye can’t see.

said it before. Makes me think of hockey when they challenge for offsides just hoping the camera finds something. Game 1 of Penguins/Predators Stanley Cup final where Subban’s goal got ruled out because of a fractional skate position is the best example. That was Salah’s toenail today.
Doing more harm than good at this point. I can't remember the last time I saw an absolute howler from the refs and thought "wow, good thing VAR was there."

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the post game show is nailing the pen call:
  • Real time not a pen, when you slow it down an adjust the angle with VAR, yeah it can be a pen..
  • Nature of today's game is that these are going to be pens more frequently. It needs to be clear and obvious to over turn, but when you can slow it down and have great angles, over turning becomes too easy
  • The bar for reviewing things is become less and less as time goes on so we are only going to have more controversial pen calls
This is where my problem lies. But it is what it is. If you are looking for something you can probably find it.

Reactions: robertmac43

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I’m not going to go this far.

Completely irrespective of the title race, VAR as it’s currently used in the PL is a net negative. It’s the center of attention week in, week out. When you find yourself talking more about VAR than the actual game, it’s not working.

This sounds a bit suspect.

En6t172XUAEcVK_

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Doing more harm than good at this point. I can't remember the last time I saw an absolute howler from the refs and thought "wow, good thing VAR was there."
There are probably a couple of examples, but the negatives tend to stick out more. I still think the PL Refs are going out of their way to make VAR look bad though. We probably have gotten the benefit of VAR at times too, (Chelsea Red Card this season I think was a correct VAR overturn that helped) but this season it has cost LFC 4 points now. Which is looking more and more likely to be a massive swing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, Mane had a goal called back that was very clearly offside today.
Which is how VAR should be used. Rule out the clear stuff. What they shouldn’t do is re-draw offsides lines on the monitors and use 3D Zoom XRay vision to look at armpits and toenails. All off this could be solved very easily by simplifying it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, Mane had a goal called back that was very clearly offside today.
I can live with that one but had that happened pre-VAR, I wouldn't have thought "wow, that's a travesty."

Frank Lampard kicking the ball all the way to Botswana at the 2010 World Cup and the ref saying it didn't cross the line is the type of call I want to see overturned or you end up doing more harm than good.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Moving on from the VAR crap of the day. Brighton played really well; Welbz looks great, Match was solid, Veltman stepp in for Lamptey and did a great job, Ben White was calm and collected along the back line, and Trossard came on and jumped into the action right away (he was supposed to have limited minutes this week due to injury).

Overall proud of the effort, on to Southampton in the battle of the coast!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I can live with that one but had that happened pre-VAR, I wouldn't have thought "wow, that's a travesty."

Frank Lampard kicking the ball all the way to Botswana at the 2010 World Cup and the ref saying it didn't cross the line is the type of call I want to see overturned or you end up doing more harm than good.
Yes. Give VAR one line. No zooming in. Problem solved.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I’m not going to say it wasn’t a foul by Robertson, but I am going to say I’ve been watching soccer at least once a week for almost 20 years, and I have never seen a PK called for a play like that in real time.
I know I'm the guy that can't let it go, but I just can't with you guys right now. Not going to talk about it again, I'm sure everyone is sick of it, but...

You just saw a play like this given 4 weeks ago, only with even less contact, and everyone said it was "stonewall"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad