GWT: PL Matchweek 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Again, I'm not sure how Mendy will fare.
But AB has no idea if Mendy is better anyway, so he shouldn't comment.

That is true but I just think someone has to stand up for Kepa. He is a great goalie who had a bad run of form. Mendy is not proven at all and definately not highly valued by most clubs so I have a hard time thinking he is better.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That is true but I just think someone has to stand up for Kepa. He is a great goalie who had a bad run of form
bro it wasn't a few bad games it was a whole season and he was like literally the worst in the top five

a bad defense in terms of talent and system can contribute and it definitely did but like he was awful

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That is true but I just think someone has to stand up for Kepa. He is a great goalie who had a bad run of form
He was a below average shot stopper at Bilbao who has regressed to a terrible one. Where are you getting that he has ever been great? His main skill and the reason for the demand for him was always his ball playing abilities, not his ability to make saves.

Chelsea want a clear upgrade for stopping shots and collecting crosses, and Mendy is a very clear upgrade there and even played the ball better than Kepa did last year.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Lallana injured in his first game at his new club... I feel bad for him but hardly surprising.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He was a below average shot stopper at Bilbao who has regressed to a terrible one. Where are you getting that he has ever been great? His main skill and the reason for the demand for him was always his ball playing abilities, not his ability to make saves.

Chelsea want a clear upgrade for stopping shots and collecting crosses, and Mendy is a very clear upgrade there and even played the ball better than Kepa did last year.
Kepa was one of the best goalies in the league in 2018-19. He has insane reflexes and great potential if he can fix his reccuring lapses of concentration. Mendy just looks very unspectacular in every way. An average Ligue 1 starter who makes some ridiculous errors

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah Milner missed a PK for Liverpool. I found a few references to it :
Result: James Milner misses penalty as Liverpool draw with Southampton - Sports Mole
Salah seems to have missed one from the page I watch (but they could be wrong).

Fabinho missed one over his whole career, 22 out of 23 for 96%. In a pressure game at Dortmund. Saying he missed one in preseason is weird. :huh:
Well hard to justify replacing somebody like Milner or Salah who have not missed in ages.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kepa was one of the best goalies in the league in 2018-19. He has insane reflexes and great potential if he can fix his reccuring lapses of concentration. Mendy just looks very unspectacular in every way. An average Ligue 1 starter who makes some ridiculous errors
This is delusional, he didn't even crack the top 10.

Here he is from 18/19. He was in the 51st percentile in goals stopped above average and 64th percentile for cross stopping out of goalies in the top 5 leagues. That's still awful and below average.

Jdw6bDp.png

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Strange that Jorginho started if the plan wasn't to play possession today.
We don't really have anyone else to play in the pivot with Kovacic suspended. I think it's a wise decision by Frank to play the pivot to be safer, and play on the break due to lack of chemistry and timing among the attackers. We technically have the skill to breakdown defenses, but the timing won't be there.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
This is delusional, he didn't even crack the top 10.

Here he is from 18/19. He was in the 51st percentile in goals stopped above average and 64th percentile for cross stopping out of goalies in the top 5 leagues. That's still awful and below average.

Jdw6bDp.png

Stats are a bad way to judge goalies since the quality of shots they face and the systems they play makes it impossible to compare. I concede he was not as good as I think, but anyone could have seen he was still a good player. Watch football, don’t base everything on reading football

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Stats are a bad way to judge goalies since the quality of shots they face and the systems they play makes it impossible to compare. I concede he was not as good as I think, but anyone could have seen he was still a good player. Watch football, don’t base everything on reading football
I watched every single Chelsea game, I doubt you have. On what grounds are you claiming Kepa was one of the best goalies in the league last year? He certainly was not, he was average at best statistically and by the eye test.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Imagine if Chelsea had kept elite assist chart leading winger Willian on the right instead of buying some lanky German who didn’t create a chance this half :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad