Rumor: Pittsburgh will "certainly try" to move Jarry.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
He's also been a Duck, why is that ignored?

Because it's not an excuse. Mrazek was .908 with the Hawks this year, Ingram was .907 past two years with the coyotes, Montembault .901 and .903 with the Habs, both Kahkonen and Blackwood were better than Gibson playing for the freaking sharks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not many goalies available and several teams looking. Do those teams looking consider Jarry a starter solution? Not sure. Probably try to send cap back.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
In a swap, I can see Jarry for Mangiapane. Seems to fill a gap for both teams and the money is similar.

Calgary should only take on FOUR YEARS of Jarry if they can send Huberdeau or Kadri out IMO. Huby is a no for PIT obviously.

Kadri + Vladar
for
R Smith + Jarry
(maybe one team adds IDK)

Malkin can play wing.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Marner for Jarry with 30% retained, Rust + 2025 1st
Actually, this is not a bad offer and would accept it if we're the leafers. Change out 2025 1st to #44 +#46 in this year's draft. Also, switch Rust out for Bunting. So ends up Jarry 30% retained + Bunting + #44+#46 for Marner.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Gibson has 3 years at 1mil more. Have fun with that. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade for either but Gibson is not a better option than Jarry. He is toast

with the cap shooting up this year and next goalie prices are going to jump. jarry is the 12th highest paid now but by next offseason he will be in the 20's. You are right that he makes too much this year but he will be in line for the last 3 years of his deal.
I dont see the salaries jumping that much.

increased cap means the stars get more. Instead of 8M+ it moved to 10M+

SG may go up about 1M

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

SG may go up about 1M
I don’t think you’ve paid enough attention to July 1 over the last 20 years then.

Star players get paid the most but also rarely make it to free agency. UFA’s always get overpaid and usually grossly. Tons of average players are going to be making $5 million instead of $2.5-3 million due to the cap going up because GM’s are pretty dumb and can’t control themselves.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With how many games played?
Does anyone care if a goalie does well in a tiny sample size of four games?
Jarry played 51 games who was the 32nd goalie in GSAx/60. The only reason Vas’ 5 games were brought into it was to show how the top 12 paid goalies performed in 23-24. Other than that, nothing is to be made of it.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

SG may go up about 1M

SG are around 4.5 - 5 mill now. They will be up to 6 mill

There are a lot of RFA and UFA goalies this year and next that are going to push the salary up.

Swayman
Shesterkin
Ullmark
Saros
Oettinger
Thompson
Lindgren

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Jarry is a perfectly mid veteran goalie who has the tendency to end each year with decent regular season stats but has had post January 1st meltdowns each of the past two seasons and has an extremely limited and bad post-season resume.

He shows all the signs of being a goalie that isn’t great when you need to be clutch. And that’s the thing with goalies…they are such variables in performance that if you are a team needing a goalie, you are going to have to overlook a few warts but you want a guy who seems to cook when the pressure is highest.

Can Jarry change that narrative at some point? Possibly. Is a team who is lookin for that final piece, that answer for the playoffs in net, going to give up a bunch of assets and then lock themselves into $21.5 million due over 4 years to find out? Probably not.

Jarry on a 1x5.35 short term “looksie” - like the Avs did with Kuemper a few years ago..I think probably has good value. Maybe even two years left if the Pens retain. But this is exactly the type of goalie contract for exactly the type of unproven in the clutch goalie you don’t want to be stuck with four years. It’s the “we aren’t gonna go cheap and we aren’t gonna go big and we aren’t gonna go short-term” special.

Reactions: biturbo19

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think you’ve paid enough attention to July 1 over the last 20 years then.

Star players get paid the most but also rarely make it to free agency. UFA’s always get overpaid and usually grossly. Tons of average players are going to be making $5 million instead of $2.5-3 million due to the cap going up because GM’s are pretty dumb and can’t control themselves.

It will take time to adjust because of fixed long contracts in the NHL.

If you look as t other sports over the last 25+yrs you see the best players getting paid ( getting to UFA is irrelevent)

What has happened is the career average joe player has gotten squeezed in their career because teams look st it and say fo I pay this consistent player X or fo I ho with this young highnpotrntial making y? Thst difference or ratio plays s factor in deciding. Most go with the cheaper labor

In the future I see you will have m as my frcent wingerd go thru ELC thrn 5+ yr contract then walked and replaced my youth

The only wingers that will get big money are the goal scorers who can get 50+ Ovie types or you have the PF Tlachuk types

In the NFL we see this with RBs where they play out rookie contrsct thrn teplaced.

Sure some vets will stay in league but its jumping around on 1-2 yr contracts
SG are around 4.5 - 5 mill now. They will be up to 6 mill

There are a lot of RFA and UFA goalies this year and next that are going to push the salary up.

Swayman
Shesterkin
Ullmark
Saros
Oettinger
Thompson
Lindgren

I see the avg SG around a $5.5M

In the goalies you list.

I dont ser Ullmsrk getting a long contract st 31

Saros, shesterkin are near 30. Thompson will be in that area but hes yoo much of a journeyman like campbell

Swayman and Orttrnger I'd mid 20s.so paying them is ssfer.

Paying a G at $8M+ will cost you elsewhere in the roster where you cant resign that $3M vet and instead ho eith youth ot lesser players. Og course if you are a top team in the league some players will fo s psy cut for a cup run

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I dont ser Ullmsrk getting a long contract st 31

Saros, shesterkin are near 30. Thompson will be in that area but hes yoo much of a journeyman like campbell

Swayman and Orttrnger I'd mid 20s.so paying them is ssfer.

Paying a G at $8M+ will cost you elsewhere in the roster where you cant resign that $3M vet and instead ho eith youth ot lesser players. Og course if you are a top team in the league some players will fo s psy cut for a cup run

In a flat cap a GM gave jack campbell 5 x 5 at age 31.

Ullmark is 100% getting 5 years.

I am not saying the others will all get 8+ but definitely 6+ for most.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How many goalies are out there are consistently "could also do a lot better"?

This is the same situation as Fleury back in the day. People would always say that Fleury wasn't good because he was just consistently average in the regular season and had major consistency issues. But at the end of the day "consistently average with flaws" tends to be a lot better than what most other teams get in net. You could get 1 year performances better than Jarry for less money, but you're very likely not getting consistently better performances for Jarry for less money.

Jarry is a microcosm of the issues with goaltending in the NHL as whole. "Consistently average with flaws" is better than what a ton of other starting goalies do in the NHL. Hell, Jarry was even better than guys like Vasilevskiy, Sorokin and Saros last year (in terms of GSAx) in this year that everyone says he was terrible. You can try to get better performances for cheaper, but the realistic outcome is that it's at best a coin flip for whether you'd be able to do that. Go ask Minnesota about how Gustavsson played, ask Toronto how Samsonov played, ask New Jersey how Vanecek played and so on.

Especially if we're talking about this season, who could you realistically do better with? Ullmark is the obvious guy, but it dries up super quickly after him. Maybe you can get a better 1 year performance out of Cam Talbot, but Cam Talbot in 2022-2023 put up an .898 save%.
the vast majority of your board was livid Dubas signed Jarry at that term/cap hit and i doubt anyone's going to trade for a guy who should be a b/u but with a big cap hit

Last edited:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Why did you f***ing re-sign him ?

I dont think jarry is as bad as people saw. He is overpaid by about 1 mill which sucks but if he was 4 x 4 it would be a fine contract.

I think the real reason people don't want him is that his attitude seems piss poor and the team seems over him. I think he would be better in a different situation with a coach that actually was willing to work with him.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Dubas would like to move Jarry, but he doesn't have to.

Although, I'm not sure what Dubas' plan is at this point. Seems like is rearranging the furniture, much like he did in Toronto.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Weird situation here with Jarry. He's very middle-of-the-road goalie, who has been hard to read totally in the last couple seasons due to how horribly inconsistent the defense has been in front of him. He's a fine goalie, but that's all he is, just fine.

Won't be teams beating down the door to get him, but there's certainly a decent deal to be made, especially with some other pieces the Pens may move on from.

The biggest question is what will the Penguins do for a starter? I like Nedjelkovic a lot as a backup, but I'm not sure he can handle the starting role. If Blomqvist could be ready who knows what he's capable of at the NHL level, but that could turn sour real quick if they don't have a seasoned starter.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Calgary should only take on FOUR YEARS of Jarry if they can send Huberdeau or Kadri out IMO. Huby is a no for PIT obviously.

Kadri + Vladar
for
R Smith + Jarry
(maybe one team adds IDK)

Malkin can play wing.
Man, I'd have to think about this. At 33, $7mil for 5 more years is gonna get ugly down the road. But if the Pens intent is to go for it while Sid and Geno are still at a high level, then I would do this.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Dubas would like to move Jarry, but he doesn't have to.

Although, I'm not sure what Dubas' plan is at this point. Seems like is rearranging the furniture, much like he did in Toronto.

If Dubas moves Jarry then it shows he wants Blomqvist to get a legit chance. The penguins get younger and cheaper in net too.

The penguins actually have pretty good goaltending depth and prospects. They need to start deciding what they want to do with these guys.

20yrs old Murashov was a top 10 goalie in the MHL
22yrs old Blomqvist was a top 5 goalie in the AHL
23yrs old Gauthier was the ECHL goalie of the Year
26yr old Filip Larsson was a top 5 goalie in the SHL

I am not saying all them will translate to NHL goalies but they need to start making moves to find out. Trading Jarry would suggest they want to get these guys a chance.

Reactions: Giskard and BHD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry is a perfectly mid veteran goalie who has the tendency to end each year with decent regular season stats but has had post January 1st meltdowns each of the past two seasons and has an extremely limited and bad post-season resume.

He shows all the signs of being a goalie that isn’t great when you need to be clutch. And that’s the thing with goalies…they are such variables in performance that if you are a team needing a goalie, you are going to have to overlook a few warts but you want a guy who seems to cook when the pressure is highest.

Can Jarry change that narrative at some point? Possibly. Is a team who is lookin for that final piece, that answer for the playoffs in net, going to give up a bunch of assets and then lock themselves into $21.5 million due over 4 years to find out? Probably not.

Jarry on a 1x5.35 short term “looksie” - like the Avs did with Kuemper a few years ago..I think probably has good value. Maybe even two years left if the Pens retain. But this is exactly the type of goalie contract for exactly the type of unproven in the clutch goalie you don’t want to be stuck with four years. It’s the “we aren’t gonna go cheap and we aren’t gonna go big and we aren’t gonna go short-term” special.

I think this write-up on Jarry is pretty much entirely accurate. The one comment I'd add is this: so many teams have awful goaltending situations that I think teams would still go after him with the “we aren’t gonna go cheap and we aren’t gonna go big and we aren’t gonna go short-term” special.

I think how desperate a team is also has an impact here. With a team like Toronto, they're going to safely make the playoffs even with horrid goaltending (like they got last year from Samsonov), so why would they take the risk with Jarry? But a team like Ottawa or Detroit, who missed the playoffs in large part due to terrible goaltending and are likely desperate to take that next step into being a playoff team? I can see them being more interested.

That's why Detroit and Ottawa seem like the 2 most obvious destinations for Jarry, which is also supported with this tweet I saw from late last week:

There really aren't many other guys other than Jarry who fit this description.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad