Rumor: Pittsburgh will "certainly try" to move Jarry.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He is the 12th highest goalie aav

Only 2 ahead of him finished with worse GSAx and 2 didn’t start.

So a lot of teams what exactly?

Your numbers are literally wrong:

Jarry: +2.6 GSAx

Vasilevskiy: -2.5 GSAx
Grubauer: -5.8 GSAx
Merzlikins: -6.3 GSAx
Husso: -4.9 GSAx (in only 19 games)
Korpisalo: -16.1 GSAx
Kuemper: -4.8 GSAx
Campbell: -3.5 GSAx (in only 5 games)
Petersen: -5.3 GSAx (in only 5 games)
Gibson: -9.6 GSAx

Every goalie I listed had a worse GSAx than Jarry last year, while Knight didn't even play in the NHL last year because of how bad he was.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Your numbers are literally wrong:

Jarry: +2.6 GSAx

Vasilevskiy: -2.5 GSAx
Grubauer: -5.8 GSAx
Merzlikins: -6.3 GSAx
Husso: -4.9 GSAx (in only 19 games)
Korpisalo: -16.1 GSAx
Kuemper: -4.8 GSAx
Campbell: -3.5 GSAx (in only 5 games)
Petersen: -5.3 GSAx (in only 5 games)
Gibson: -9.6 GSAx
They literally aren’t vas was a +1.3 this season. Goalies below him in aav is just a way for you to make him look better. Fact he is the 12th highest AAV and performs well below that. While i missed Grubauer, the fact of the matter is he is sub par for top 15 paid goalies and not average in any stat
He is a cap dump by definition

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They literally aren’t vas was a +1.3 this season. Goalies below him in aav is just a way for you to make him look better. Fact he is the 12th highest AAV and performs well below that

Please point out any of the stats I provided that was wrong. Spoiler alert, none of them are wrong.

And you're saying "goalies below him in AAV" as if I'm going far below. I'm going as low as $4 million, with a huge amount of the guys I mentioned making basically the same amount of money as him. You know your argument is crap if you have to argue that a guy making $5.25 million to Jarry's $5.3 million isn't comparable because his AAV is below him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Please point out any of the stats I provided that was wrong. Spoiler alert, none of them are wrong.

And you're saying "goalies below him in AAV" as if I'm going far below. I'm going as low as $4 million, with a huge amount of the guys I mentioned making basically the same amount of money as him. You know your argument is crap if you have to argue that a guy making $5.25 million to Jarry's $5.3 million isn't comparable because his AAV is below him.
Seriously?!?! Who is in 12th with a 1.3?

1719194798776.png

Just stop dude. He is a cap dump

• Haha
Reactions: Ulf5

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Oh damn, did Andrei Vasilevskiy play in 5 games in the regular season this year?

Spoiler alert: those are playoff stats. Hence why Vasilevskiy has 5 games, since his team was eliminated in 5 games in the regular season.
Try reading it again.

Spoiler alert: you are wrong again.

He is a cap dump and not an average starter for 2 seasons now. There isn’t a GM out there going “dang other teams are paying within 20% of jarry for equally bad or worse goaltending, maybe I should also pay a lot for less than average goaltending.”

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There are a lot of dumb opinions on this site regarding Jarry. He's not anything special, but the dude has been the definition of a mid-tier starter for pretty much his entire career. Even last year, where everyone says he had some awful year, he finished with a +2.5 GSAx. I don't like using JFresh for analysis, but his chart from Jarry basically sums it up perfectly: he's super average:

He's a middling starting goalie with consistency issues, but based on how people on here talk about him, you'd think he'd be this absolute scrub of a goalie.

While there's some fairness to this, and i think the amount that Jarry "sucks" does tend to get a little bit overstated...it's the same sort of reasoning that gets you stuck in goaltender purgatory, when it comes at the salary cost that Jarry does.

It's that paralysis of, "could do worse". Could also do a lot better, or do equally for a lot less cap investment.

The other aspect this kind of glosses over, is that Jarry isn't strictly an "average goaltender" on any given night. He's mediocre "on average" but not necessarily mediocre on an average night. This is where the statistics don't distinguish between a guy who just goes in there and plugs away as completely "okayish" and unspectacularly dependable to give you a chance to win every night...vs a guy like Jarry who is prone to games or even stretches of absolutely putrid play, that are balanced by legitimately very good games every now and then. Two ways of arriving at similar looking statistical results. Straight trendline vs "jagged peaks and deep valleys" with Jarry. Very radically different impacts on the team in front of them in terms of mentality, as well as potentially overall effectiveness.

Go look at what other teams are paying for their goalies, then. Spoiler alert: a ton of teams are paying $5 million for far worse results than Jarry gives. Of goalies making $4 million or more, all of Korpisalo, Knight (demoted to the AHL), Husso, Campbell, Petersen, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Grubauer and Gibson had worse years than Jarry last year. Hell, even Vasilevskiy had a worse year than Jarry last year.

Again, the reality is that goaltending in the NHL today is just ass so "consistently mediocre results" with Jarry is actually solid for goalie standards. It's not "Jarry is good", it's "NHL goaltending sucks so a goalie with Jarry's issues is still far better than what a lot of teams have".

See...that's fair, in that a lot other teams are also spending a ton of money on absolutely terrible goaltending.

But that list is pretty much the entire problem with using it to justify Jarry. It's a kind of misguided "risk averse" analysis. The reality is, yes, you absolutely could do much worse than Tristan Jarry. But it's about spending "Top-12ish" Money on a very inconsistent, unreliable guy because you're afraid that, "it could be worse" on average. Rather than because you actually believe in Jarry as a guy who is going to substantially upgrade your team in net. That's a problem.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Of the 11 highest paid active goalies in the NHL (taking out Price since he was hurt) last year:

1. Hellebuyck: +33.1 GSAx ($8.5 million AAV)
2. Binnington: +16.5 GSAx ($6 million AAV)
3. Bobrovsky: +15.6 GSAx ($10 million AAV)
4. Markstrom: +13.7 GSAx ($6 million AAV)
5. Shesterkin: +12.1 GSAx ($5.67 million AAV)
6. Jarry: +2.6 GSAx ($5.375 million AAV)
7. Sorokin: +1.4 GSAx ($8.25 million AAV)
8. Vasilevskiy: -2.5 GSAx ($9.5 million AAV)
9. Grubauer: -5.8 GSAx ($5.9 million AAV)
10. Merzlikins: -6.3 GSAx ($5.4 million AAV)
11. Gibson: -9.6 GSAx ($6.5 million AAV)

Oh look, another stat that shows Jarry is in the middle. What a surprise.

Try reading it again.

Spoiler alert: you are wrong again.

He is a cap dump and not an average starter for 2 seasons now

I'm saying this politely: you are factually incorrect. Vasilevskiy's GSAx last year in the regular season is factually -2.5. The stats you're pulling up are playoff stats, hence why it shows Vasilevskiy as playing in 5 games and Bobrovsky playing in 23 games.

This isn't even an opinion thing, you're just factually incorrect in the stats you're posting. The screenshot you posted is literally the playoff stats, which you can see here:

1719195280125.png

Now look at the regular season stats:

1719195303105.png

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
While there's some fairness to this, and i think the amount that Jarry "sucks" does tend to get a little bit overstated...it's the same sort of reasoning that gets you stuck in goaltender purgatory, when it comes at the salary cost that Jarry does.

It's that paralysis of, "could do worse". Could also do a lot better, or do equally for a lot less cap investment.

How many goalies are out there are consistently "could also do a lot better"?

This is the same situation as Fleury back in the day. People would always say that Fleury wasn't good because he was just consistently average in the regular season and had major consistency issues. But at the end of the day "consistently average with flaws" tends to be a lot better than what most other teams get in net. You could get 1 year performances better than Jarry for less money, but you're very likely not getting consistently better performances for Jarry for less money.

Jarry is a microcosm of the issues with goaltending in the NHL as whole. "Consistently average with flaws" is better than what a ton of other starting goalies do in the NHL. Hell, Jarry was even better than guys like Vasilevskiy, Sorokin and Saros last year (in terms of GSAx) in this year that everyone says he was terrible. You can try to get better performances for cheaper, but the realistic outcome is that it's at best a coin flip for whether you'd be able to do that. Go ask Minnesota about how Gustavsson played, ask Toronto how Samsonov played, ask New Jersey how Vanecek played and so on.

Especially if we're talking about this season, who could you realistically do better with? Ullmark is the obvious guy, but it dries up super quickly after him. Maybe you can get a better 1 year performance out of Cam Talbot, but Cam Talbot in 2022-2023 put up an .898 save%.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In a swap, I can see Jarry for Mangiapane. Seems to fill a gap for both teams and the money is similar.

I don’t even consider “average” to be a real starting goalie in today’s NHL. There’s like 10 goalies in the league you can safely predict will start and finish next season as their team’s undisputed starter.
Indeed. I think the basic expectations around goaltending from the fan's POV, or rather fans "like us" who can regularly match up stats and performance, do not match the reality of current-day goaltending. Goaltending, as a whole, is trending downward. As you point out, there are few "safe" starting goalies. There are not many "elite" goalies now, either. There are 4-5 solid, elite goalies and then a whole bucket of f***ing mediocrity. But I think that's going to become the norm. I think guys like Georgiev, Jarry, Husso, Demko, Merzlikins...I think these guys are being what "average" starters are going to look like moving forward. I think our acceptance of that reality is just a bit behind. Starting goalies may become like head coaches where you see them get fired and hired regularly. Just getting a guy that be average for 50-60 games may be more difficult moving forward than it was in the past.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In a swap, I can see Jarry for Mangiapane. Seems to fill a gap for both teams and the money is similar.

Indeed. I think the basic expectations around goaltending from the fan's POV, or rather fans "like us" who can regularly match up stats and performance, do not match the reality of current-day goaltending. Goaltending, as a whole, is trending downward. As you point out, there are few "safe" starting goalies. There are not many "elite" goalies now, either. There are 4-5 solid, elite goalies and then a whole bucket of f***ing mediocrity. But I think that's going to become the norm. I think guys like Georgiev, Jarry, Husso, Demko, Merzlikins...I think these guys are being what "average" starters are going to look like moving forward. I think our acceptance of that reality is just a bit behind. Starting goalies may become like head coaches where you see them get fired and hired regularly. Just getting a guy that be average for 50-60 games may be more difficult moving forward than it was in the past.
If you're tanking, why go get Jarry? You don't really see teams in the bottom five make this a big focus in terms of improving their netminders.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How many goalies are out there are consistently "could also do a lot better"?

This is the same situation as Fleury back in the day. People would always say that Fleury wasn't good because he was just consistently average in the regular season and had major consistency issues. But at the end of the day "consistently average with flaws" tends to be a lot better than what most other teams get in net. You could get 1 year performances better than Jarry for less money, but you're very likely not getting consistently better performances for Jarry for less money.

Jarry is a microcosm of the issues with goaltending in the NHL as whole. "Consistently average with flaws" is better than what a ton of other starting goalies do in the NHL. Hell, Jarry was even better than guys like Vasilevskiy, Sorokin and Saros last year (in terms of GSAx) in this year that everyone says he was terrible. You can try to get better performances for cheaper, but the realistic outcome is that it's at best a coin flip for whether you'd be able to do that. Go ask Minnesota about how Gustavsson played, ask Toronto how Samsonov played, ask New Jersey how Vanecek played and so on.

Especially if we're talking about this season, who could you realistically do better with? Ullmark is the obvious guy, but it dries up super quickly after him. Maybe you can get a better 1 year performance out of Cam Talbot, but Cam Talbot in 2022-2023 put up an .898 save%.

There are a few problems with this.

First and foremost, it's leaning entirely on a singular projected metric as the defining "value" of a goaltender. And a very questionable statistic that can be wildly prone to team and system influences, with wild volatility year to year.

It's also leaning on an "average" statistic, compiled over the whole broader sample. ie. Designed to smooth out inconsistencies and nuance of how the guy played on any given night, specifically. It's statistically not a measure of what you should expect to get from Jarry on any given individual start. It's a measure of what you should expect the ups and downs to average out to, over all starts. Those are two completely different, contextually critical pieces of information.

It doesn't really account for things like...hot streaks and prolonged slumps. Where say, a wild Ned comes in and starts to siphon off starts or "steal" his job.

The other aspect of this is just...yes, you're right in that it's risky and it's probably a "coin flip" if you can actually do as well or better with alternatives. Especially if you're trying to go cheaper at the same time. And it might even be a coin flip if you end up doing worse. But as i mentioned, it's an inherently "risk averse" strategy but also a little bit of a fallacious sense of security. It's investing "sure thing" money with major term in something that isn't even actually a "sure thing". If you're investing $5.5M in something that you've got maybe a coinflip chance of replicating or exceeding for less money. That coinflip element cuts both ways. There's a 50/50 chance you're committing to worse goaltending.

Especially when...as an alternative, you might even get two coin flips on your roster. Maybe even more if you can find some waiver exempt coin flips to stash (which imo, every team should be constantly drafting a steady pipeline of netminders to do).

But i mean...ultimately, if the whole thing comes down to GSAx...and it's telling you that Jarry is a better goaltender, or a better bet than Sorokin, Vasy, Saros, et al...i think it bears more scrutiny on what exactly that metric is telling you. I feel like a lot of the "goalies are voodoo" discourse comes from valuing things like that over actual performance.

Where goalies really are a bit "voodoo" or wildly volatile, is when you've got very mediocre "system goalies" guys like Vanacek that you put behind a wildly different team defence year over year, and surprise surprise...see wildly inconsistent results. Move a guy like Kuemper from a Cup Winner to the Caps. Or you've got a headcase like Samsonov who has always been wildly up and down and erratic in his actual play.

I can see why Dubas took the "risk averse analytics play". Not even sure it was the wrong thing to do for the Penguins given their situation. How much do you want to wager the last few years of "The Old Gang" on a coinflip in net? I think that was the reasoning. But as above...sometimes that coinflip still doesn't really work out that great. The Ned shot in the dark ended up probably better overall, especially at the cap value. And i'd be shocked if he doesn't completely fall apart if they decide to move Jarry and make him the starter. Because ultimately...not all coinflips are created equal in the NHL.

Reactions: Ulf5

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Marner for Jarry with 30% retained, Rust + 2025 1st
Not that there's anything wrong with the value, per say but the Pens don't do that. That's an awful lot of cap for them to take on and I think the days of giving up 1st round picks are essentially done.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Jarry certainly isn't great - but he's better than what a large portion of people on here seem to think he is.

I think he makes some sense on the Capitals, though I'm not sure what they'd give up or who/what Dubas would ask for.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It’s amazing an ownership group gave dubas a raise and promotion after his tenure in Toronto…I guess they don’t have eyes…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad