Rumor: Pittsburgh will "certainly try" to move Jarry.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Gibson has been one of the worst goalies in terms of GSAx in the past 5 years. He's actually just terrible at this point, he's just riding off of a nearly decade old reputation.

But the Ducks are a disgrace, have been for awhile.

I want to see Gibson not on the Ducks before he's deemed finished

Reactions: dirtydanglez

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's ass. Rather go with Woll as our main.

No need to trade assets for this guy

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Plus they don't want to retain. I genuinely don't see why anyone would want to trade for Gibson.
New Jersey opting for Markstrom is all that needs to be said about what Anaheim is asking for. Gibson to New Jersey made too much sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Toronto makes much sense for Jarry anyway, their issue is playoff performance and Jarry's track record there isn't exactly good. Jarry makes more sense for a team like Ottawa or Detroit, who's just desperate for any sort of improvement and would tolerate Jarry's issues if he just performs like he normally does.

I think Toronto may be desperate to get a goalie upgrade, but they're going to make the playoffs regardless of who's in net for them in the regular season. I don't think Jarry has the resume for you to think "he's the missing piece for our playoffs" at all. He's a "we need improvement just to make the playoffs" type of improvement.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The idea that he's a "fringe starter" is not based on an actual comparison of leaguewide goaltending. He's clearly a mid tier starter, he's just a flawed one.

Goaltending in the NHL just sucks right now. Even with Jarry's consistency issues, he's always putting up league average-ish or better goaltending every year.
What are using to support this mid rating?

He is 30th + in GSAx/60 rate and save percentage. That isn’t very appealing for the 12th highest paid goalie. Even when Ullmark and couple of others get paid more it still isn’t appealing for the 15-18th highest paid goalie.

Reactions: biturbo19

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What are using to support this mid rating?

He is 30th + in GSAx/60 rate and save percentage. That isn’t very appealing for the 12th highest paid goalie. Even when Ullmark and couple of others get paid more it still isn’t appealing for the 15-18th highest paid goalie.

A goalie with a +0.0 GSAx is by definition average. That's literally what the stat is measuring, how well a goalie performs relative to the average goalie based on the shots they're facing.

That's exactly what his JFresh chart says too:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
A goalie with a +0.0 GSAx is by definition average. That's literally what the stat is measuring, how well a goalie performs relative to the average goalie based on the shots they're facing.

I don’t even consider “average” to be a real starting goalie in today’s NHL. There’s like 10 goalies in the league you can safely predict will start and finish next season as their team’s undisputed starter.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

I understand but he is 32nd gsax per 60. 0 gsax isn’t average its statistically agnostic. There is a difference. Again you don’t pay a guy over 5 million to be statistically agnostic. So no he isn’t an average starter. You also don’t pay the 12th highest goalie to in the 17th percentile in the league for excellent starts. He is just a vanilla guy who you paying a lot for

Reactions: biturbo19

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I don't see the urgency to yeet Jarry that some people seem to have. I don't expect a King's ransom for him or anything, but I'd sooner keep him than take a bad contract just to be rid of him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I understand but he is 32nd gsax per 60. 0 gsax isn’t average its statistically agnostic. There is a difference. Again you don’t pay a guy over 5 million to be statistically agnostic. So no he isn’t an average starter. You also don’t pay the 12th highest goalie to in the 17th percentile in the league for excellent starts. He is just a vanilla guy who you paying a lot for

Go look at what other teams are paying for their goalies, then. Spoiler alert: a ton of teams are paying $5 million for far worse results than Jarry gives. Of goalies making $4 million or more, all of Korpisalo, Knight (demoted to the AHL), Husso, Campbell, Petersen, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Grubauer and Gibson had worse years than Jarry last year. Hell, even Vasilevskiy had a worse year than Jarry last year.

Again, the reality is that goaltending in the NHL today is just ass so "consistently mediocre results" with Jarry is actually solid for goalie standards. It's not "Jarry is good", it's "NHL goaltending sucks so a goalie with Jarry's issues is still far better than what a lot of teams have".

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Go look at what other teams are paying for their goalies, then. Spoiler alert: a ton of teams are paying $5 million for far worse results than Jarry gives. Of goalies making $4 million or more, all of Korpisalo, Knight (demoted to the AHL), Husso, Campbell, Petersen, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Grubauer and Gibson had worse years than Jarry last year. Hell, even Vasilevskiy had a worse year than Jarry last year.

Again, the reality is that goaltending in the NHL today is just ass so "consistently mediocre results" with Jarry is actually solid for goalie standards. It's not "Jarry is good", it's "NHL goaltending sucks so a goalie with Jarry's issues is still far better than what a lot of teams have".
He is the 12th highest goalie aav

Only 2 ahead of him finished worse in GSAx, merz and gibson.

Vas, shesterkin, helley, markstrom etc all finished higher than him.

Murray and price didn’t start

Man that is a ton of teams

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t even consider “average” to be a real starting goalie in today’s NHL. There’s like 10 goalies in the league you can safely predict will start and finish next season as their team’s undisputed starter.

Yeah I think a good example of "consistently average" was Penguins era Fleury. People constantly shat on Fleury for not being anything special, but being able to put up a league average performance over 60 games a year every year is legitimately valuable. Goaltending as a whole is so voodoo that getting that level of consistency year to year is valuable, even if the total results are middling.

I'm pretty adamant that Jarry is a super mid goalie with some major flaws, but "consistently mid goalie with some major flaws" is legitimately better than what a lot of teams have in net. Just as a few examples, look at what happened with Minnesota, New Jersey and Ottawa last year. Guys who were terrific in 2022-2023 were just heinously awful in 2023-2024, and that had a huge factor in sinking their seasons. On the flip side, teams like Calgary and LA got huge boosts from their bad performing goalies in 2022-2023 having great performances in 2023-2024.

Reactions: dats81 and nergish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad