Rumor: Pittsburgh will "certainly try" to move Jarry.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you havent demonstrated how he isnt.

the GAA difference is 0.05. The difference is .008, holy crap what a not very close number.
GSAx number is 6.26 for markstrom and -0.15 for Jarry.

Pens arent a defensive juggernaut but they have been at least a playoff team in the last 2 seasons.

Markstrom's faces worse shots than Jarry, facing more HD chances per 60 and HD chances overall (some of that weight is because Markstrom has more starts. He also has higher HDSV% by a good margin. An actual good margin (0.43) not .008.

and it still took retention to get a 1st in the deal.
No they haven't. They've missed the last 2 years. And none of the limited success they have had has been because of defense.

I'm not saying Jarry would return a 1st. But the idea that there's no market for goalies in his strata simply isn't true.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
when I see Jarry's name come up, I think typical decent starter. I dont get the hate from the Pen's board. He does have consistent injury issues though.

It's whipping boy type of thing. You literally have posts there saying "I'm not being objective, I just hate Jarry" or "Jarry's stats don't matter because he's a loser".

This was a literal post about Jarry on the Penguins board last week:

"I just don't like TJ. I don't like his attitude. I don't like him staring daggers at his teammates when they tip pucks in on him when he's mediocre and has never won shit here. Not even a playoff series. Dude acts like his own shit doesn't stink."

It's totally valid to feel any way you want as a fan, but let's not act like the people shitting on Jarry are unbiased about it :laugh:

Reactions: Raistlin

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Jarry is not being moved here unless someone gives Dubas a really good trade. An all star goalie 2 years ago at 5.3 million for 4 years not really much. Pens move smith at the draft. Jarry plays 60 games and his record is better than most.
One problem, Jarry has faltered multiple times towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, injuries and play. Neds contract tells me Dubas/Pens are not fully confident with Jarry. As a Caps fan, if the Caps were able to trade Kuemper, then Jarry can be traded as well, but Pens will have to take some kind of bad contract back. To me Jarry has been no better than a $3.5 per year goalie...

Reactions: Gurglesons

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Get ready for Kyle to add a solid incentive to rid himself of that contract. We've seen it before.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
And what if they don't get Ullmark? What's left if Ullmark goes to Detroit instead?

So the Penguins would have to add to get a worse goalie?

Your team literally just got a 1st rounder for Markstrom, yet somehow Jarry has negative value now? Markstrom is better than Jarry, but not by a ton.
Well, if the goal of Dubas is to get rid of Jarry, Flames don't need a goalie but they need assets. Vladar is on a deal that expires at the end of the season, could mostly be buried in the AHL if need be. Could be part of a bigger trade for other players

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Jarry at a shade over $4 million with only 2 years of commitment would net a decent pick for sure.

That’s not what we are talking about here. The Markstrom comp makes no sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry at a shade over $4 million with only 2 years of commitment would net a decent pick for sure.

That’s not what we are talking about here. The Markstrom comp makes no sense.

I don't think most people are expecting some huge return for Jarry, though. The point in the comparison with Jarry and Markstrom is that the value swing between them wouldn't be "one is getting a 1st+, the other costs assets to move".

If Ottawa buys out Korpisalo or can manage to trade him somewhere else, I think Forsberg and Joseph for Jarry makes a ton of sense for both sides. That's a monumental sized if on that Korpisalo scenario, though. That's the kind of return I'd anticipate for Jarry: a middling return for a middling goalie.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
when I see Jarry's name come up, I think typical decent starter. I dont get the hate from the Pen's board. He does have consistent injury issues though.
Because the Pens fans went from Fleury, to Murray, to Jarry. One is a hall of famer, the second stole the net from the first and won back to back cups in it, and the third is just meh. He also notoriously starts strong and fades hard in the new year, which is sort of the reverse of what you want as a team with playoff aspirations. He's fine. Not good, not bad, just fine.

Pens fans are real excited about Joel Blomqvist coming up from the minors soon, but he probably needs another year to cook. Maybe he is a late year call up a la Matt Murray of old. If the Pens are looking to take big risks with the hope of lucking into a playoff contender, moving Jarry to free space for depth and praying Blomqvist is ready isn't the worst strategy. Set up Ned in a platoon with another cost controlled journeyman after Jarry is gone, and set them up for Blomqvist to push one out of the way.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
And what if they don't get Ullmark? What's left if Ullmark goes to Detroit instead?

So the Penguins would have to add to get a worse goalie?

Your team literally just got a 1st rounder for Markstrom, yet somehow Jarry has negative value now? Markstrom is better than Jarry, but not by a ton.
Yeah. That poster is misunderstanding. Jarry is wants out but he's not a true cap dump.

I would do any of the mentioned calgary deals, but like I mentioned from the beginning, I'd keep wondering what the catch is and why other teams more desperate for a goalie don't beat that deal.

Well, if the goal of Dubas is to get rid of Jarry, Flames don't need a goalie but they need assets. Vladar is on a deal that expires at the end of the season, could mostly be buried in the AHL if need be. Could be part of a bigger trade for other players

Pittsburgh and Jarry have a bad relationship and Jarry wants out. The deal is fair, in our favor even when buying low on Jarry. But I've never understood why no other teams fans stand up to try and beat it, until I started digging a little.

I think the strange reality is that those that want to get Jarry are at the wrong end of weaponized cap. (Ie: Toronto, Edmonton, Avs). While some other teams that could use him are the exact ones that the pens don't want to prop up (ie: Canes, Leafs, Caps).

Pens still want to compete (ie: no retention) and moving Jarry to a team contemplating contention with cap space is the best option for them. Calgary weirdly is one of few teams who are still this.

LA (Kuemper) and Ottawa (Ullmark) are now out for the market for this. Edmonton, Avs are potentially a cap issue for acquiring Jarry. Toronto and Canes are eastern teams that could block pens... Etc. Most others teams are content with their goalies or not considering contention. It's weird.

I think flames want to contend in 1-2 seasons. Strangely, acquiring Jarry isn't completely contradictory to that idea. He's a starter now, but longterm platoon with Wolf... That's kind of a pseudo Rinne/Saros upbringing situation. I'm weirdly warming up to the idea, even though it feels weird as hell and seems premature.

I think you can win with Jarry in the same way you win with guys like Crawford. With the cap going up, Jarry would be a nice contract when calgary aims to compete.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Calgary should only take on FOUR YEARS of Jarry if they can send Huberdeau or Kadri out IMO. Huby is a no for PIT obviously.

Kadri + Vladar
for
R Smith + Jarry
(maybe one team adds IDK)

Malkin can play wing.
I like the idea of the Penguins trading for Kadri.
Bunting-Kadri-Malkin would be a fun line. We could call it the Bastard Line.
Jarry played 51 games who was the 32nd goalie in GSAx/60. The only reason Vas’ 5 games were brought into it was to show how the top 12 paid goalies performed in 23-24. Other than that, nothing is to be made of it.
My point was that the number of games played matters. What difference does it make if Jarry was 32nd in GSAx/60 if none of the goalies above him played more than ten games? That's not a starter's workload.
I think flames want to contend in 1-2 seasons. Strangely, acquiring Jarry isn't completely contradictory to that idea. He's a starter now, but longterm platoon with Wolf... That's kind of a pseudo Rinne/Saros upbringing situation. I'm weirdly warming up to the idea, even though it feels weird as hell and seems premature.
I think the idea that the Flames would trade for Jarry would make sense if you consider the idea that the Flames will probably want a veteran who has more games played to mentor Wolf. Vladar isn't an awful goalie, but he's only had 75 games played, and so doesn't really have that veteran experience that you would like. (Jarry has played in 257 NHL games, over three times as many.)

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I like the idea of the Penguins trading for Kadri.
Bunting-Kadri-Malkin would be a fun line. We could call it the Bastard Line.

My point was that the number of games played matters. What difference does it make if Jarry was 32nd in GSAx/60 if none of the goalies above him played more than ten games? That's not a starter's workload.

I think the idea that the Flames would trade for Jarry would make sense if you consider the idea that the Flames will probably want a veteran who has more games played to mentor Wolf. Vladar isn't an awful goalie, but he's only had 75 games played, and so doesn't really have that veteran experience that you would like. (Jarry has played in 257 NHL games, over three times as many.)

Agreed. Kadri/Mangiapane + Vladar for Jarry concepts are fine with me.

It's not to say a team like edmonton or Avs can't get another team to help broker a deal for Jarry, but I don't think they can offer a roster piece Pittsburgh wants as easily as Calgary.

Only downside to the Kadri idea is that Dubas was the guy who traded Kadri to the Avs when the Calgary deal fell through. Kadri wanted to stay in Toronto because he had a newborn on the way and blocked it thinking he'd be safe. Avs weren't on his list and that was plan B. He got his cup though. Silver lining. But there's still a non-zero chance he might not be interested in playing for a Dubas managed team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It's not to say a team like edmonton or Avs can't get another team to help broker a deal for Jarry, but I don't think they can offer a roster piece Pittsburgh wants as easily as Calgary.

Only downside to the Kadri idea is that Dubas was the guy who traded Kadri to the Avs when the Calgary deal fell through. Kadri wanted to stay in Toronto because he had a newborn on the way and blocked it thinking he'd be safe. Avs weren't on his list and that was plan B. He got his cup though. Silver lining. But there's still a non-zero chance he might not be interested in playing for a Dubas managed team.

Mangiapane + Vladar for Jarry would be done in a second from me tbh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think this would be a very good basis for a deal, I'm just unsure of whether Calgary would want Jarry's extra term on his deal.

If Jarry had 2 years left on his deal, I think it would make a ton of sense. Jarry and Wolf platoon for those 2 years and then Calgary lets Jarry walk to give Wolf the starter's role. But with Jarry having 4 years, that complicates it a bit. I feel like Jarry in Calgary would have the same issue as Jarry in Pittsburgh, he's blocking a very good young goalie prospect (Blomqvist with Pittsburgh, Wolf with Calgary).

At the same time though, Nashville is trying to re-sign Saros to be their starter and run with Saros-Askarov for the foreseeable future, so maybe running with Jarry-Wolf for 4 years isn't actually an issue.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
There's no way Calgary trades assets to aquire Jarry. If they add a goalie it will be a cheap vet. Nashville makes the most sense of they trade Saros

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
I don't exactly know that Mangiapane and Vladar for Jarry is Calgary "trading assets to acquire Jarry".

They are assets in they would return assets in either picks and/or prospects. The flames aren't going to trade for a 5M$ goalie when then just traded one that is better. They want the cap space for FA's and for bringing back assets. Wolf is their planned goalie of the future, not Jarry.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Is there any news up in this mother or just he sucks/eh he's not so bad banter?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is there any news up in this mother or just he sucks/eh he's not so bad banter?

Listening to Friedman's 32 thoughts now:

-In their last podcast, they had mentioned the only 2 starting goalies available were Ullmark and Gibson. A source then told Friedman "you are missing someone", and Friedman's conclusion was that Jarry was the other guy available. ("when I started to figure out who he was talking about, I landed on Jarry")
-The concern with Jarry is not his level of play, with Marek and Friedman saying "he's a really good goalie". It's his health, that's the major issue teams see with him.
-"Something going on out there" with Jarry.

I'm honestly a bit surprised about the second point, I would have expected Jarry's inconsistencies to be a bigger issue among NHL teams and not his health.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
People sell Jarry short. He’s not a superstar but he’s a career .912 SV and a 2 time all star. He’s not a star but he’s a very capable starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad