Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If this is the case (which I don't particularly feel strongly about one way or another) it is alarming that they would care more about softening the PR blow of trading a player vs. getting the maximum return - something that isn't given to guys that are "problems" in the locker room or are "unhappy."

Yeah. But would it really surprise you?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If this is the case (which I don't particularly feel strongly about one way or another) it is alarming that they would care more about softening the PR blow of trading a player vs. getting the maximum return - something that isn't given to guys that are "problems" in the locker room or are "unhappy."

It's not necessarily an either/or. Two (supposedly) different business divisions. Hockey Ops decides to move on from a popular player. Business Ops does preparatory damage control.

The Florida Panthers (just to throw a random team out there) aren't going to give a crap what's leaked about Kunitz to the Mark Madden show, much like Hextall isn't about to care that a Jets journo says Evander Kane skipped out on a restaurant bill.

Teams care about their depth chart, their needs, their pay structure and what their pro-scouts say about a player.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The thing with Kunitz is that even if he was 100% happy and a positive locker room player and he really was giving 100% on the ice... he is a mid thirties player likely signed for the rest of his career showing decline but still putting up respectable numbers on paper... this is the ideal time to trade the guy, since his role on the team is diminished and his return value may be higher than we think.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The thing with Kunitz is that even if he was 100% happy and a positive locker room player and he really was giving 100% on the ice... he is a mid thirties player likely signed for the rest of his career showing decline but still putting up respectable numbers on paper... this is the ideal time to trade the guy, since his role on the team is diminished and his return value may be higher than we think.

And, even if it's not, there are better ways to allocate the 3.75M to a guy who now best serves the team by NOT being in the top six.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really hate you sometimes.

I sort of hate you the others.

It's cool, I always hate you because I'm a consistent and committed individual.

Quinn_Crying.gif

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
You may be right about the Pens PR playing it's hand, but nothing has poisoned Kunitz's reputation more than his own putrid play this year. I mean, how casual of fan do you have to be to not see him dogging it night in and night out???

Craig Adams still has his fans/people supporting him after years of dogging it. Kunitz has been a big part of the team for a while now -whether we like it or not, and I'm sure his "reputation" is still pretty good out there among fans.

I would love if we could trade Kunitz for Jagr, but I don't like the possible smear campaign. I didn't mind Neal's as much, because much as Neal was a good player, he was also dirty as hell.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
There are a ton of people mostly seeing that Kunitz still has a lot of points and good underlying numbers, which means to them that he isn't a problem. I don't think a lot of casual fans are noticing how he has played this season.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It's not just about general goodwill towards the team, it's about selling tickets and jerseys and beer. You don't think the team, with Morehouse, isn't concerned about keeping their attendance numbers up? Classic political move to get the media working for you. I'm fine with it.

I just think we’re overthinking it here. Fans were “furious†about the lockout but they still showed up to hand over their cash. Trading Kunitz isn’t something we need to hire a PR firm to “get away†with.

What makes you fine with it though?

Yeah. But would it really surprise you?

My initial reaction was to say no, but yes, it is shocking nonetheless. I can’t decide whether that’s me becoming less emotionally dead to this team after signs of a light at the end of the tunnel after the Byslma era or if the latest potential political machinations are just too much to take.

It's not necessarily an either/or. Two (supposedly) different business divisions. Hockey Ops decides to move on from a popular player. Business Ops does preparatory damage control.

The Florida Panthers (just to throw a random team out there) aren't going to give a crap what's leaked about Kunitz to the Mark Madden show, much like Hextall isn't about to care that a Jets journo says Evander Kane skipped out on a restaurant bill.

Teams care about their depth chart, their needs, their pay structure and what their pro-scouts say about a player.

When trading a veteran player who appears to be on his last legs being a bad locker room guy would very much affect whether a team wanted to acquire a veteran leadership presence.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yohe was on with Madden today basically saying he's hearing the same things as Madden in regards to Kunitz and Jagr.

Take that however you want to.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
He still works for the Trib.

I guess if one meat head says something or starts a rumor, it could just be whatever, but if enough guys are talking about it, id say the chances of it being true definitely are greater

Im of the opinion that Kunitz still nets us a decent return, whether it be a combo of picks and prospects or a young guy currently playing in the NHL

Kunitz would be pretty appealing to a team looking to make a push to get in to the playoffs

Fordy

May 28, 2008
last night was supposed to be the big game for evaluating kunitz so i can't imagine it went well assuming there's even the slightest hint of smoke around this. a trio of fools tho is all we got saying it

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
last night was supposed to be the big game for evaluating kunitz so i can't imagine it went well assuming there's even the slightest hint of smoke around this. a trio of fools tho is all we got saying it

Where did you hear this from out of curiosity.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

2 things that I definitely liked was Kunitz being taken off Crosbys line in the 3rd and I noticed that Horny was back on the #1PP unit and I believe Kunitz was off it

penguins2946*

Yohe was on with Madden today basically saying he's hearing the same things as Madden in regards to Kunitz and Jagr.

Take that however you want to.

Rossi and DK were also saying this. Here's the link to the DK-Madden chat, Kunitz and Jagr talk starts at about 7:35:

https://soundcloud.com/dkonpittsburghsports/20150128173631a

I heard from someone on here that Rossi was saying it.

On Yohe, he's not someone that makes up rumors. I haven't seen him rumor monger like Madden and Rossi do. DK is the same way. I don't feel like they would say it unless they actually had someone tell them that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rossi and DK were also saying this. Here's the link to the DK-Madden chat, Kunitz and Jagr talk starts at about 7:35:

https://soundcloud.com/dkonpittsburghsports/20150128173631a

I heard from someone on here that Rossi was saying it.

On Yohe, he's not someone that makes up rumors. I haven't seen him rumor monger like Madden and Rossi do. DK is the same way. I don't feel like they would say it unless they actually had someone tell them that.

It's a struggle listening to Madden talk over people.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno... DK seems awfully into click-bait now that his mortgage depends on it.

Yohe isn't the worst. But is a Rossi acolyte.

To be fair... there just really isn't a good source of information in this market.

penguins2946*

It's a struggle listening to Madden talk over people.

Oh definitely, he's an ******. He did bring up a bunch of good points, I really couldn't disagree with anything he said.

I dunno... DK seems awfully into click-bait now that his mortgage depends on it.

Yohe isn't the worst. But is a Rossi acolyte.

To be fair... there just really isn't a good source of information in this market.

How would rumor mongering on Madden's show help his website at all? I follow his website pretty closely, but I have never seen any trade rumors being posted. I believe Yohe and Kovacevic, I don't remember the last time they were pushing a rumor like Madden and/or Rossi do.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well... rumor mongering on the air would likely get more people to check out his site for more juicy tidbits, right? I used to really like DK back in the day before he took that dead end Pirates job. But I feel like, since he got out from underneath that, he sort of just goes wherever the winds are blowing. This is the same guy who was right there calling everyone dummies for doubting Disco until getting very near the end. He picked up on things a little faster than certain other "journalists" but that's just because he's better at keeping his finger on the pulse of the fans.

In essence, I think he mostly just says things that people want to hear at any given point.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I'd rather not do a deal centered around Kunitz for Jagr. I think we can get a younger player back who could help us down the road as well. Trading an old, declining player for a 42 year-old, no matter how good, doesn't seem like the wisest use of assets.

I'd still like to target Anaheim and Minnesota for one of their young wingers. Even if we have to add.

On topic: I don't buy into these Jagr rumors. I think it's just people playing off the fans' nostalgia. It wouldn't be the first time.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I'd rather not do a deal centered around Kunitz for Jagr. I think we can get a younger player back who could help us down the road as well. Trading an old, declining player for a 42 year-old, no matter how good, doesn't seem like the wisest use of assets.

I'd still like to target Anaheim and Minnesota for one of their young wingers. Even if we have to add.

Don't want the fossilized Jagr at all and certainly not to waste Kunitz's value to acquire him.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad