Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Jake - Sid - x
x - Geno - Kapanen
x - Carter - Tanev
x - McCann - x

Letang - Dumoulin
Marino - x
x - POJ

x
De Smith

I'd start from there and build from this point. Trades/re-signings etc

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Nobody's off the table. Keep Sid and Geno if they want to retire here, they've earned it. If they want to go chase a Cup elsewhere, make it happen.

Everyone else is fair game.

Jake for picks/prospects.
Rust for picks/prospects.
Kap for picks/prospects.
McCann for... Whatever.
Zucker or Petts traded for picks/prospects--whoever Seattle doesn't take.
See what you can get for literally any forward.

At least Jarry probably helps secure some high 1sts. :laugh:

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm here for an offseason of rational thought and discussion :naughty:

Here's a discussion starter: the Penguins should trade Rust and keep Zucker this off-season.

The logic is this:

1. You're losing Rust after next year anyway, because he's going to price himself out of Pittsburgh. Zucker is cost controlled for a few more years though.
2. You'll be selling high on Rust while keeping Zucker to help recover his value.
3. If you think this team could be a contender that needs a big shake up, trading Zucker wouldn't be any sort of "shake up" trade. But Rust? That would be massive.

seabs926

Jun 14, 2009
Here's a discussion starter: the Penguins should trade Rust and keep Zucker this off-season.

The logic is this:

1. You're losing Rust after next year anyway, because he's going to price himself out of Pittsburgh. Zucker is cost controlled for a few more years though.
2. You'll be selling high on Rust while keeping Zucker to help recover his value.
3. If you think this team could be a contender that needs a big shake up, trading Zucker wouldn't be any sort of "shake up" trade. But Rust? That would be massive.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately depending on how you look at it) the Pens are tight to the cap unless all of Zucker, Rust and Pets are traded with little to no cap coming back.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately depending on how you look at it) the Pens are tight to the cap unless all of Zucker, Rust and Pets are traded with little to no cap coming back.

Uh, that's not true. They only need to trade 1 of those guys to become cap compliant and they're comfortably under the cap if they trade 2 of them.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I would expose Jarry to Seattle. Just maybe they take a chance on him. Better options will be there for them but he is still young.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Nobody's off the table. Keep Sid and Geno if they want to retire here, they've earned it. If they want to go chase a Cup elsewhere, make it happen.

Everyone else is fair game.

Jake for picks/prospects.
Rust for picks/prospects.
Kap for picks/prospects.
McCann for... Whatever.
Zucker or Petts traded for picks/prospects--whoever Seattle doesn't take.
See what you can get for literally any forward.

At least Jarry probably helps secure some high 1sts. :laugh:

Dumoulin is an interesting one for me. Really good in the regular season and his return helped to stabilize things, but 2021 playoff Dumoulin was a shell of cup years playoff Dumoulin. Not as physical a presence or as smart with the puck.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Before anyone suggests trading Guentzel, I’m just gonna remind y’all he’s one of the best value contracts in the league.

Jake Guentzel

How's the playoff value since he signed his extension? I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him in a Neal for Horny style trade to address the mix.

I would expose Jarry to Seattle. Just maybe they take a chance on him. Better options will be there for them but he is still young.

Jarry can't be here next year. If it means a buyout, then so be it.

Reactions: brewski420

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dumoulin is an interesting one for me. Really good in the regular season and his return helped to stabilize things, but 2021 playoff Dumoulin was a shell of cup years playoff Dumoulin. Not as physical a presence or as smart with the puck.
Like I said, if I'm open to moving any of the big three, I'm open to moving literally anyone in this organization.

Rust, Jake, McCann, Kapanen, Dumo, Marino, etc. They can all find new homes elsewhere while he stock up on 1sts/2nds and premium prospects.

Reactions: KIRK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You'd like the era to end with a bit more fight and positivity than we've gotten for the past several years, but eras are bound to end sometime. I just hope this team recognizes it's time for a new chapter and gets ultra aggressive in shopping guys.

Jake can go. He and Rust had two great runs to start their Penguin careers and flat out sucked in the years since. Jake especially was embarrassing. Nothing offensively and a constant series of temper tantrums.

Reactions: canadianguy77

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like I said, if I'm open to moving any of the big three, I'm open to moving literally anyone in this organization.

Rust, Jake, McCann, Kapanen, Dumo, Marino, etc. They can all find new homes elsewhere while he stock up on 1sts/2nds and premium prospects.

You know, if you move Jake, maybe Zucker stays. I mean, maybe a new coach would try him with Sid. Or Carter. Or maybe with a new system and what they finally did together in the playoffs, he builds on things with Geno.

McCann is just a bitter pill . . . what a ******* con job. We all knew better, knew that he was streaky and turtled in the playoffs. But, a lot of people couldn't help but to believe that this was the year he blossomed like Rust. :laugh:

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Aside from the goalie situation, the Penguins had the horses to make a deep run this year. Blowing the team up now would be foolish. It's Sullivan who needs to go, more than any of the Pens' forwards or defenders.

Next year is pivotal because it's potentially Malkin and Letang's last go-round with the Pens. The bones of the team (other than in goal) are solid - they need a coach who can adapt creatively instead of wasting what may well be the last year of the 87/71/58 era with a stubborn knucklehead like Sullivan behind the bench. It will very likely be Pittsburgh's last shot at the cup for the foreseeable future. Get an average goaltender, make a few small moves, get a coach with half a brain, and go for it one more time.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh

His last 2 games were bad. I still think you ride out that contract. 2 years at that price is a steal. I think trading him does more harm than good.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Before anyone suggests trading Guentzel, I’m just gonna remind y’all he’s one of the best value contracts in the league.

Jake Guentzel
Ever since he became a multi-millionaire, he stopped getting his nose dirty. His style of play works out great in regular season hockey, but becomes a detriment when it really matters. I’ve seen enough of it and I’m okay with shipping him out for someone who will go to the dirty areas when the going gets tough.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ya, anyone wanting to trade Jake is not thinking right now. He needs to be better and his play since his shoulder surgery has been questionable but idk that contract/production is tough to give up on. I know we all bounce back and forth with Sully, but maybe a new system gets these complementary players back to where they were*

*We also need to inject some youth into the lineup

Reactions: T1K

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You know, if you move Jake, maybe Zucker stays. I mean, maybe a new coach would try him with Sid. Or Carter. Or maybe with a new system and what they finally did together in the playoffs, he builds on things with Geno.

McCann is just a bitter pill . . . what a ******* con job. We all knew better, knew that he was streaky and turtled in the playoffs. But, a lot of people couldn't help but to believe that this was the year he blossomed like Rust. :laugh:
I don't even think Sid has what it takes anymore. We certainly don't have the offensive bang to put on his wings to balance his offensive ineffectiveness out, imo. Carter was great, but he was great in a sheltered, 3rd line role/TOI. Moving him up really risks turning him into Marleau, imo.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Ever since he became a multi-millionaire, he stopped getting his nose dirty. His style of play works out great in regular season hockey, but becomes a detriment when it really matters. I’ve seen enough of it and I’m okay with shipping him out for someone who will go to the dirty areas when the going gets tough.

Not even close to true. Guentzal took the most hits in the league 1 season and is near the top every other season. That doesn't happen to guys who don't go into the dirty areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad