Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You'd think I'd have gotten tired of being proven wrong on Vegas, but I say revisit this in a year or two, because I'm curious what they'll look like once the adrenaline/grudge factor/nobody taking them seriously wears off.

That's a great point, but you'd have to believe that people DO take them a bit seriously now. They're contending for the President's trophy, for pete's sake! :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's a great point, but you'd have to believe that people DO take them a bit seriously now. They're contending for the President's trophy, for pete's sake! :laugh:

One thing GMGM got right . . . 4 good 2nd lines, as Braden Holtby, I think, described it, with a ton of speed and great (regular season) goaltending. That can disguise a lot.

As for a few years from now, Vegas is sitting on so many picks and prospects and cap space that they could trade for EK and McDonaugh and STILL be in better shape than most teams with the picks, prospects, and cap space left.

Vegas is the team that I'd expect to go hard after EK.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
One thing GMGM got right . . . 4 good 2nd lines, as Braden Holtby, I think, described it, with a ton of speed and great (regular season) goaltending. That can disguise a lot.

As for a few years from now, Vegas is sitting on so many picks and prospects and cap space that they could trade for EK and McDonaugh and STILL be in better shape than most teams with the picks, prospects, and cap space left.

Vegas is the team that I'd expect to go hard after EK.

Logically, that stands up. The only thing I don't know is their ownership group's commitment to that kind of money for a single player. I mean, they have deep pockets obviously being that they were able to pay the expansion fee but their current team that is winning is doing so on what is basically peanuts ($67mil). A lot of that money will be going away next year when a lot of their picks contracts expire. They'll infuse with some good young talent too that they'll have stocked up.

With that, Karlsson himself isn't without some risk. After that ankle injury, though still a great player, is not back to 100% of what he was. So you would have to expect some decline. Then again, he's only 27 and could be really good until he's 34/35 so...you get a franchise player for 6-7 years to help in nearly every facet. Just something that has to be balanced when you're talking 10.5-11mil a year for 7-8 years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Logically, that stands up. The only thing I don't know is their ownership group's commitment to that kind of money for a single player. I mean, they have deep pockets obviously being that they were able to pay the expansion fee but their current team that is winning is doing so on what is basically peanuts ($67mil). A lot of that money will be going away next year when a lot of their picks contracts expire. They'll infuse with some good young talent too that they'll have stocked up.

With that, Karlsson himself isn't without some risk. After that ankle injury, though still a great player, is not back to 100% of what he was. So you would have to expect some decline. Then again, he's only 27 and could be really good until he's 34/35 so...you get a franchise player for 6-7 years to help in nearly every facet. Just something that has to be balanced when you're talking 10.5-11mil a year for 7-8 years.

Money isn't an issue.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'm sure they do, but Vegas have built up that confidence and momentum now. Off-seasons tend to act as a soft reset button on that stuff.

Play-offs will be fun. Can't say I'd be surprised if they went far and deep, can't say I'd be surprised if they turned out to be very mortal put against a team with more star quality going hard for it for the whole series.

I will now shed a single tear for the fact that next I update the prospects, there will be no Gustavsson. Farewell sweet prince - we hardly knew ye, but your outstanding JWC made our lives so much easier regardless. I hope you are traded away from that tire fire someday fairly soon.

I will console myself with the thought that Bellerive had a 1g+2a night.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
In light of the recent trade, it looks like the Penguins' draft situation for the next 3 years is (unless I missed something)

2 PIT
3 OTT
5 DET
5 PIT
6 PIT
7 PIT

1 PIT
2 PIT
4 MIN or 4 PIT (worse pick)
5 PIT
7 PIT

1 PIT
3 PIT
4 PIT
5 PIT
6 PIT
7 PIT

Last edited:
Reactions: wej20

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
In light of the recent trade, it looks like the Penguins' draft situation for the next 3 years is (unless I missed something)

2 PIT
3 OTT
5 DET
5 PIT
6 PIT
7 PIT

1 PIT
2 PIT
4 MIN or 4 PIT (worse pick)
5 PIT
6 PIT
7 PIT

1 PIT
3 PIT
4 PIT
5 PIT
6 PIT
7 PIT
We don’t have a 2019 6th. It went in the Archibald, Maguire, 6th for Leighton, 4th trade.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the key is Brassard and a possible extension after next year. Horny will be an issue and clearing some cap space will help. But if Horny is 6/6, he is gone. But a 5/5 is doable cap wise and term. Pens need to restack the farm and with NCAA guys, projects and draft picks is that enough? Who knows, but the over arching question is finding a generational center in say 5 years.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't think Vegas is going to compete with the likes of Nashville or Winnipeg. They play a great system but they have a big honking weakness on their back end. Their game relies on turning over the puck in the neutral zone and having the forwards disrupt the break ins. All it takes is for a line to have a good cycle and you can bully them around the net. We showed how fragile they can be defensively, and I think that it will look more like that in the playoffs than it has all season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Unfortunately the big fish college UFAs will go to teams that’ll promise them an immediate look in the NHL this season which we can’t do.

Any junior FAs worth looking at? Overagers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad