Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Didn't LC lose their best player though?

Depends on who you consider to be their best player. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante all had a legit shout for that honor. They lost Kante, but kept the other two. Obviously, Kante was an enormous loss and that was compounded by his replacement, Mendy, almost immediately getting injured, but no team should go from first to 1 point above relegation because they lost one player. There were a host of problems with Leicester, both on and off the pitch. At any rate, my point was simply that Vegas falling apart after a shock run isn't unprecedented.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Soccer analogies?

giphy.gif

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Soccer analogies?

giphy.gif

haha.....

I'm a big soccer fan, but I hate a few of the things I see/hear creeping into hockey. (nitpicking, of course)

I hate hearing some hockey announcers calling a shutout, "a clean sheet". Oh come on. It's a soccer term, leave it there.

And ABSOLUTELY hate that hockey is adapting the silly, "bring out a child to the ice" and stand by them, for whatever reason. It is so forced, and I really have no idea what that is supposed to be about. It looks really awkward when they do it in soccer, and the same on the ice.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And ABSOLUTELY hate that hockey is adapting the silly, "bring out a child to the ice" and stand by them, for whatever reason. It is so forced, and I really have no idea what that is supposed to be about. It looks really awkward when they do it in soccer, and the same on the ice.

The worst...borderline pedophilic. I feel uncomfortable watching it. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's gonna be interesting to see if Bellerive can hit the 50 goal and/or 100 point plateau in what have been his post-draft year. He's on pace to do both (60GP 43G 86PTS, 11 games yet to play), which would be really good numbers for a 1st rounder...except we signed him as an FA.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I kinda hope Lethbridge bombs out in the POs so he can join the baby Pens. Miletic too.

Maybe d’Orio can go to Wheeling for a chance to see less than 40 shots per 60.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
What exactly is Daniel Sprong at this point? They do not trade him. They won't bring him up. This feels familiar. I would argue that if he isn't going to come up to play with the team he should be sold at the draft for a pick. I doubt his value goes higher and in the end we get very little in return if we do nothing. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I am huge fan of Sprong, but a bigger fan of the franchise. Either shit or get off the pot with this guy. /rant

Reactions: Kip Drordy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What exactly is Daniel Sprong at this point? They do not trade him. They won't bring him up. This feels familiar. I would argue that if he isn't going to come up to play with the team he should be sold at the draft for a pick. I doubt his value goes higher and in the end we get very little in return if we do nothing. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I am huge fan of Sprong, but a bigger fan of the franchise. Either **** or get off the pot with this guy. /rant
He's 20.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What exactly is Daniel Sprong at this point? They do not trade him. They won't bring him up. This feels familiar. I would argue that if he isn't going to come up to play with the team he should be sold at the draft for a pick. I doubt his value goes higher and in the end we get very little in return if we do nothing. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I am huge fan of Sprong, but a bigger fan of the franchise. Either **** or get off the pot with this guy. /rant

Daniel Sprong is a 20 year with holes in his game that will probably benefit from going slower in his development. You don't need to be "Use or lose" with a 20 year old in his first senior season and its probably pretty counter-productive to do so.

And if it feels familiar, its because the org has done it with every single prospect they can in the last few years - good outcomes and bad.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Did the Pens rush Guentzel when he was playing great in the AHL? NO
This team is in no need to rush up Sprong right now
He will have his shot down the road and he will most probably be a top 6 winger on this team, but his time is not right now
We need to be patient, like the rest of the players that have come through the system in the past few seasons
It's ok and normal for a player to start his NHL career at 21 or 22. Not everyone can play at 18-19
And you want to sell him for a pick? You do realize the pick you're going to get won't be playing in the NHL either until 2023-24?
Come on guys, get serious

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
It's almost like Penguins are two-time Cup champion in the past two years and prospects aren't given easy paths to walk into the lineup...

This is the last year Penguins can develop Sprong in the minors. He will be waiver eligible next season (thanks to Mike Johnston!) so he will be up for good then. Nothing wrong with bringing him in slowly this season when it's the last time we can do it. And as said, he's still only 20 years old.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As premature as AverageJoeFan's post is, I was curious to see when Sprong became waiver-eligible, so I checked the Waivers Calculator and was a bit surprised to see that it's next year...'18-'19. So this is the last season where he can develop in the minors, thanks to the useless stint we gave him in '15-'16.

Starting next fall he's either playing in the NHL, eating nachos in the press box, or demoted and scooped up by another team.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And you want to sell him for a pick? You do realize the pick you're going to get won't be playing in the NHL either until 2023-24?

People always say that, but the pick can be flipped, and so can the drafted player.

Wanting picks doesn't always equal "I want to draft a player and keep him until he's NHL ready". Sometimes it simply means "I would like better value on this asset/trade etc.etc."

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
As premature as AverageJoeFan's post is, I was curious to see when Sprong became waiver-eligible, so I checked the Waivers Calculator and was a bit surprised to see that it's next year...'18-'19. So this is the last season where he can develop in the minors, thanks to the useless stint we gave him in '15-'16.

Starting next fall he's either playing in the NHL, eating nachos in the press box, or demoted and scooped up by another team.

Feel like he needs to establish himself by the deadline next season, otherwise we need to deal him before we tank his value.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I hate that Sprong gets punished for not being a "complete player"

But Kuhn and Rowney are not complete players either....

Reactions: vabm8

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Feel like he needs to establish himself by the deadline next season, otherwise we need to deal him before we tank his value.

Given that we can't send him down, its gonna be pretty awkward for his value if he doesn't establish himself right out of camp.

Part of me suspects he'll get traded around the draft. Move him for a more immediately needed piece than RW.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I hate that Sprong gets punished for not being a "complete player"

But Kuhn and Rowney are not complete players either....

They're finished products, Sprong isn't. I have no issue whatsoever with wanting a 20 year old to develop a more complete game. I'll be upset if Sprong never gets a legitimate chance for that reason, but he's still only 20. He doesn't even have a full AHL season under his belt.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This is Sprong's first full season in the AHL. I don't think it's a big deal that they've both hung on to him and haven't brought him up full time.

If Sprong's still wasting away in the AHL in a couple years' time, then we can start to question his being left in limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad