Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
This is Sprong's first full season in the AHL. I don't think it's a big deal that they've both hung on to him and haven't brought him up full time.

If Sprong's still wasting away in the AHL in a couple years' time, then we can start to question his being left in limbo.
He doesn't have a couple of years. Next year is it. Thankfully at least a couple of the posters knew next year is NHL or bust. Since he started playing in 15-16 it started the clock. We are running out of time with him.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I think Sheary being in the lineup bumbling around is the biggest wtf reason I can think of with it being a silly double standard with Sprong.

The org is trying to humble him in my opinion. Is what it is.
I think you could be right, but...why. Confidence is a HUGE part of success in the NHL I think. Let him be cocky if he can back it up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think you could be right, but...why. Confidence is a HUGE part of success in the NHL I think. Let him be cocky if he can back it up.

It rubs certain people the wrong way, like the coach. All I really know is they didn't really even want him up in Dec but were desperate for goals.

Maybe once things got going and the team was doing well, Sullivan looked for reasons to send him back. No idea.

He has to play a complete game, blah blah. Like Sheary, you know?

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
It rubs certain people the wrong way, like the coach. All I really know is they didn't really even want him up in Dec but were desperate for goals.

Maybe once things got going and the team was doing well, Sullivan looked for reasons to send him back. No idea.

He has to play a complete game, blah blah. Like Sheary, you know?
Yeah, TBH I'm not sure I could have ever predicted Sheary would be this....crappy

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I think Sheary being in the lineup bumbling around is the biggest wtf reason I can think of with it being a silly double standard with Sprong.

The org is trying to humble him in my opinion. Is what it is.

Confidence is huge, but arrogance can be annoying. I follow him on IG and a lot of his posts strike me as the type of guy to have a bit of an abrasive/arrogant personality. Not saying that is necessarily bad, or true. I'm just speculating that, as you both have said, that could be the issue. Speculating being the key word there. Maybe, hopefully, they are just trying to humble him, make him fall in line a bit. I doubt they have it in for the guy, they know he has talent and it's in everyone's best interest for him to work out.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Confidence is huge, but arrogance can be annoying. I follow him on IG and a lot of his posts strike me as the type of guy to have a bit of an abrasive/arrogant personality. Not saying that is necessarily bad, or true. I'm just speculating that, as you both have said, that could be the issue. Speculating being the key word there. Maybe, hopefully, they are just trying to humble him, make him fall in line a bit. I doubt they have it in for the guy, they know he has talent and it's in everyone's best interest for him to work out.

I've heard enough that it seems like he may be a touch arrogant, but if arrogance determined where you should play, Lemieux would have played for the Tallahassee Warthogs.

Obviously Sprong doesn't have the all-time talent to make coaches put up with it like Lemieux did, however.

I get wanting him to be knocked down a peg I guess, but I doubt his personality is going to change.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Serious question that I want a serious response from everyone, choose what you think would be the most productive option:

1). Jake- Sid- Sheary
2). Jake- Sid- Rust
3). Jake- Sid- ZAR
4). Jake- Sid- Sprong
5). Jake- Sid- Simon

I'm going with #4, wouldn't mind #3 and the rest aren't even close.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I've heard enough that it seems like he may be a touch arrogant, but if arrogance determined where you should play, Lemieux would have played for the Tallahassee Warthogs.

Obviously Sprong doesn't have the all-time talent to make coaches put up with it like Lemieux did, however.

I get wanting him to be knocked down a peg I guess, but I doubt his personality is going to change.

I think you're right to an extent. As a person, he probably won't change much. Although If he really has that kind of personality then trying to get him to fall in line will likely only make things worse. On the other hand, he is still young and most likely will mature so he's certainly not a lost cause in that regard either.

Whatever the hell it is, lets hope everyone figures it out sooner than later.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Serious question that I want a serious response from everyone, choose what you think would be the most productive option:

1). Jake- Sid- Sheary
2). Jake- Sid- Rust
3). Jake- Sid- ZAR
4). Jake- Sid- Sprong
5). Jake- Sid- Simon

I'm going with #4, wouldn't mind #3 and the rest aren't even close.

It's kind of a loaded question.
Jake-Sid-Sprong would probably produce the most but get scored on alot, just like Jake-Sid-Sheary did.
A good blend is the Rust/ZAR lines and since i hate Rust with Sid,
Jake-Sid-ZAR is the best trio there for me.

Reactions: Brandinho

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The thing is, the team knew what they were getting into when they drafted him. The whole reason he fell was because of his lousy interviews. He had a reputation of being a bit cocky, warranted or not. What did they expect? That they were going to "change him"? The way the team is treating this just rubs me the wrong way. They knew what they were getting into.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

It's stupid though.

Don't preach about wanting swagger in your team's culture and then chastise a player with stupid usage for having that swagger and confidence. He's f***ing talented, he knows he is, he's got a lethal shot and he's not afraid to use, so what does the team do? Confuse the f*** out of him for how to play "HIS GAME" and then punish him for it like he did something wrong. That is wrong behavior, absolutely wrong.

Crosby can throw no look passes to the ghosts of yesteryear or whomever he's passing to, Geno can try to deke through the entire team and his own players and then lose the puck and dog it back, Kessel can hold the puck too long and never pass it to the open guy and then skate off all angry at himself and then you have Sheary who falls literally everywhere, like he probably just fell right now, in his bed, by himself, and yet Sprong is the guy they chose to punish for what?

I think most just feel trading him is best so he can still have a good career and we could get something for him before he's ruined. I guess we now know how it feels to be an Oiler fan with prospects.

Reactions: enviSAGE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing is, the team knew what they were getting into when they drafted him. The whole reason he fell was because of his lousy interviews. He had a reputation of being a bit cocky, warranted or not. What did they expect? That they were going to "change him"? The way the team is treating this just rubs me the wrong way. They knew what they were getting into.

I think they were expecting him to perform well enough to warrant overlooking it. So far he hasn't. Maybe he's had less chances than he deserves because of the cockiness but its not like he was sent down while performing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dude's only 20. He never should've been in the NHL at 18. That raised the expecations of him unfairly and also accelerated his perceived readiness.

Consider this his first pro season. He's fresh out of juniors and learning his way in the pro game.

If you were to say that 2 years after being drafted in the mid-2nd round a prospect would be at a PPG average in the AHL with a handful of goals in an 8 game NHL call-up, every scout in the league would take that.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think they were expecting him to perform well enough to warrant overlooking it. So far he hasn't. Maybe he's had less chances than he deserves because of the cockiness but its not like he was sent down while performing.

Getting 2 goals and an assist in his 3rd or 4th game after being called up should have bought him more than another couple games played before being sent down. Even if hes streaky, getting multiple points in spurts the rest of the season thats more than what sheary is doing. And even when hes not scoring hes way more of a threat to do so(defenders will be on him) than Sheary.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Dude's only 20. He never should've been in the NHL at 18. That raised the expecations of him unfairly and also accelerated his perceived readiness.

Consider this his first pro season. He's fresh out of juniors and learning his way in the pro game.

If you were to say that 2 years after being drafted in the mid-2nd round a prospect would be at a PPG average in the AHL with a handful of goals in an 8 game NHL call-up, every scout in the league would take that.
I have to say you have a very good point about 15-16 and being called up at 18. I know was drawn to him to be there at such a young age.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Getting 2 goals and an assist in his 3rd or 4th game after being called up should have bought him more than another couple games played before being sent down. Even if hes streaky, getting multiple points in spurts the rest of the season thats more than what sheary is doing. And even when hes not scoring hes way more of a threat to do so(defenders will be on him) than Sheary.

Guentzel scored a bunch in a short period, went dry a couple of games, then got sent back down too. Why should Sprong be treated any different? Given how well Guentzel developed, why would we want to?

Reactions: Gallatin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bellerive's looking like a gem of a find. He's up to 7th in WHL scoring, with 44 goals and 89 points.

Goal #44 was a shg, too.

It’s still weird that he wasn’t drafted. Every team and their scouts missed on him. Unless something clicked late in the season or in the offseason or he had some crazy physical growth it’s baffling. Good for the Pens, but it’s crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad