Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I think we have some pretty good winger prospects that can be developed into good complimentary wingers for us. Olund,Angello,Lafferty will be in WB next season and we still have bellerive,Bjorkqvist etc. That's why I'm not that attached to Sprong and definitely fine to trade him for a 3C since I don't think he's a game-breaking talent.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Bellerive with the standard 2 point night.
Would be nice for him to hit 100 points.

I was hoping he would be under consideration for the WJC this year since he outproduced a couple of forwards who made the team.
But he should absolutely have a chance of playing in next years WJC.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is there any chance that Bellerive has 2c potential?

On paper, yes.

Based on the very limited viewings from prospect camp... he looks like the sort of guy the Pens convert from centre to wing. His face-offs aren't great and he hasn't got a nice lanky reach to cover lots of ground defensively. He looked more a high energy fearless athlete with a nice shot than a cerebral playmaker.

That should be taken with a massive pinch of salt but I'm personally not banking on him being a 2C type of guy.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
On paper, yes.

Based on the very limited viewings from prospect camp... he looks like the sort of guy the Pens convert from centre to wing. His face-offs aren't great and he hasn't got a nice lanky reach to cover lots of ground defensively. He looked more a high energy fearless athlete with a nice shot than a cerebral playmaker.

That should be taken with a massive pinch of salt but I'm personally not banking on him being a 2C type of guy.
ya, he's not built for the typical pen's center....but with the right wings he has the smarts to do well

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Bellerive had a couple goals tonight, bringing his total to 41.

That's good for 7th in the WHL, and he's the youngest goal-scorer in the top 10 (only '99).

Not too shabby for an undrafted FA.

Keep saying it, but with all the prospects and picks this franchise trades year after year we need to sign all these UFA's
So far JR has done a fantastic job, scouts as well deserve a ton of credit
We were in on Vessey and in on Butcher which was close to signing with us.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
it's a very risky place to be. and not something you should really want to do. imo

What place is that? Being a perennial contender :)?

I’d rather that than the alternatives...

In any case the point was a good one. We’ve clearly acquired a decent reputation and the caroussel of young wingers making it on to the team in the last three years should underline that it is a team where one can get the chance. We have to continue to exploit this as much as possible.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you have a much better chance keeping your picks

The reality is that contenders need to move picks to shore up their teams for playoff runs. You don't stop acquiring what you need when you're in that position just to hoard picks.

Don't give away the farm for no good reason, but if you have a roster hole that needs to be addressed, you address it.

Reactions: Giskard
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
The reality is that contenders need to move picks to shore up their teams for playoff runs. You don't stop acquiring what you need when you're in that position just to hoard picks.

Don't give away the farm for no good reason, but if you have a roster hole that needs to be addressed, you address it.

Right. There are senseless trades and there are meaningful trades. The Pens have essentially been bleeding draft assets for a decade and it has yet to hurt them.

You could even make an argument that trading their 1st round pick (Yes I know these aren't the only tradable assets, but definitely the most appealing, and the least amount of research) has paid more dividends than the 1st round picks themselves.

Drafted players: Pouliot, Maatta, Despres, Bennett, Esposito, Kapanen, Morrow
Players acquired using 1st rd Pick: Kessel, Hossa, Dupuis, Reaves, Iginla

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Have any of the perennial Cup contenders been hoarding picks lately, though?

Washington did a pretty good job of it for awhile under McPhee, and then blew their wad on Martin Erat.

rdlol.gif

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Don't know about extra picks per se, but Tampa is stacked in terms of futures they could offer in a deal.

They are... but while tipping your cap to the way they have drafted and found quality among undrafted players, it is also a factor that they are a team that traded Martin St. Louis while knee deep in the hunt for a playoff spot and then got swept in the first round back in 2014.
They have not been perennial contenders for long, and indeed missed the playoffs just last season.

Fair or not, since 2009 the Penguins have been pretty much expected to make the cup final every year, or at least it would be considered somewhat of a disappointment if we did not. Now Tampa has a great situation also and a team big expectations can be made of.... and consequently they're in the big fish discussions (Karlsson/McD). That'll thin out the farm fast enough.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They are... but while tipping your cap to the way they have drafted and found quality among undrafted players, it is also a factor that they are a team that traded Martin St. Louis while knee deep in the hunt for a playoff spot and then got swept in the first round back in 2014.
They have not been perennial contenders for long, and indeed missed the playoffs just last season.

Fair or not, since 2009 the Penguins have been pretty much expected to make the cup final every year, or at least it would be considered somewhat of a disappointment if we did not. Now Tampa has a great situation also and a team big expectations can be made of.... and consequently they're in the big fish discussions (Karlsson/McD). That'll thin out the farm fast enough.

The team that I'd think SHOULD be all over EK or McD is Vegas. Heck, GMGM has so much cap space and so many futures to burn that he could pay the price for BOTH of them and still have a futures cupboard better stocked than 90% of the league.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Don't know about extra picks per se, but Tampa is stacked in terms of futures they could offer in a deal.

Although to be fair, in the last 10 seasons they've missed the playoffs more times than they made it. That's not really a perrenial cup contender in my opinion and definitely makes it easier to hoard futures.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The team that I'd think SHOULD be all over EK or McD is Vegas. Heck, GMGM has so much cap space and so many futures to burn that he could pay the price for BOTH of them and still have a futures cupboard better stocked than 90% of the league.

I'm still shocked at how well GMGM built that team. On paper in June, they looked TERRIBLE.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm still shocked at how well GMGM built that team. On paper in June, they looked TERRIBLE.

You'd think I'd have gotten tired of being proven wrong on Vegas, but I say revisit this in a year or two, because I'm curious what they'll look like once the adrenaline/grudge factor/nobody taking them seriously wears off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad