Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lauzon's back in the lineup and earned 1st star in an 8-0 win. No points though, so maybe it was a pity star.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Glad he's finally healthy, even if this year is mostly a write off.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Noticed D'Angelo got a nod in 31 thoughts - 21 in 25 is nice. Imagine they'll want him at WBS next season, but him/Olund/Laffety/Miletic all at once is a lot of guys in. Kinda good, but maybe a bit too crowded.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Noticed D'Angelo got a nod in 31 thoughts - 21 in 25 is nice. Imagine they'll want him at WBS next season, but him/Olund/Laffety/Miletic all at once is a lot of guys in. Kinda good, but maybe a bit too crowded.

Personally I'd send him back to Cornell for his senior year. Looks like he's having a good season but by no means is he blowing up. He's leading the team in scoring and fingers crossed he'd put up a PPG season for his senior year. Listed at 6'5 213 lbs now, so looks like he's added a little size. Sadly I think he's having the best year of our college prospects.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
If we don't sign Angello, he will become a UFA. The guy has very good combination of size, skating and skill. Maybe our most exciting prospect after Sprong, well, considering our prospect pool.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If we don't sign Angello, he will become a UFA. The guy has very good combination of size, skating and skill. Maybe our most exciting prospect after Sprong, well, considering our prospect pool.

Ah, is that because he was drafted out of the USHL?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Monthly update on prospect boxcars.

AHL:

Sprong: 20 goals and 38 points in 37 AHL games; 2 goals and 3 points in 8 NHL games
Bengtsson: 0 goals and 9 points in 22 games
ZAR: 9 goals and 29 points in 41 games; 2 goals and 3 points in 5 NHL games
Johnson: 4 goals and 18 points in 41 games
Blueger: 12 goals and 26 points in 45 games
Simon: 4 goals and 17 points in 21 games; 4 goals and 11 points in 23 NHL games
DiPauli: 10 goals and 17 points in 41 games
JS Dea: 11 goals and 28 points in 42 games; 1 goal in 5 NHL games
Prow: 1 goal and 8 points in 21 games
Tiffels: 1 goal and 2 points in 11 games
Taylor: 1 point in 3 AHL games
Pedan: 7 goals and 19 points in 42 AHL games
Jarry: .914 save% in 8 AHL games; .919 in 18 NHL games
DeSmith: .917 save% in 22 AHL games; .926 in 7 NHL games

OHL:

D'Orio: 37 games with a .894 save%
Hall: 0 goals and 10 points in 41 games
Miletic: 28 goals and 76 points in 50 games

QMJHL:

Lauzon: 0 goals and 2 points in 12 games - first game back
Drozg: 15 goals and 44 points in 47 games (5 and 9 in 5 games at WJC D1B)

WHL:

Bellerive: 38 goals and 77 points in 55 games

NCAA/USA juniors (just going in order of where they were drafted):

Birks: 4 goals and 14 points in 33 games
Lafferty: 5 goals and 14 points in 25 games
Angello: 12 goals and 21 points in 25 games
Pavlychev: 8 goals and 12 points in 30 games
Bjorkqvist: 12 goals and 17 points in 31 games
Jones: 1 goal and 9 points in 26 games
Masonius: 2 goals and 12 points in 24 games
Reilly: 7 goals and 13 points in 30 games
Phillips: 5 goals and 12 points in 16 USHL games; 0 points in 10 NCAA games

Europe:

Palojarvi: 2 goals and 12 points in 38 games in the Liiga Junior-A league, -18 in those 38 games
Olund: 7 goals and 19 points in 43 games in the SHL, 5 goals and 8 points in 9 games in the Champions League
Gustavsson: .917 save% in 18 games in the SHL, .925 in 7 games in the SuperElit U20 league, .924 in 6 games at JWC
Almari: 3 goals and 7 points in 34 games in the Liiga, 1 point in 3 games at the Spengler Cup, 4 points in 12 games in the Mestis

Looks a lot prettier now on a lot of fronts. Main causes for dissatisfaction are Johnson and Di Pauli both going very quiet in WBS and Phillips still not looking a force at NCAA. Well, that and all our WBS puck moving dmen.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Bellerive and Miletic have both produced as much as you would hope. If they take another step next year they'll be legit prospects. Maybe not top 6, but NHL potential for sure. Future bottom 6 centre between them maybe.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bellerive and Miletic have both produced as much as you would hope. If they take another step next year they'll be legit prospects. Maybe not top 6, but NHL potential for sure. Future bottom 6 centre between them maybe.

I can see Bellerive converting to winger and becoming a 2nd/3rd tweener.

I mean, given the production for his age, I could see him becoming a top 6 player. Those are the right numbers. Can't go further than that given how little I or anyone else have seen of him, but those numbers are hoooot.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I can see Bellerive converting to winger and becoming a 2nd/3rd tweener.

I mean, given the production for his age, I could see him becoming a top 6 player. Those are the right numbers. Can't go further than that given how little I or anyone else have seen of him, but those numbers are hoooot.

For that age they are good, the question is whether he takes another step next season or not. Max Talbot put in two seasons like that and we were never confusing him as a legit top 6 guy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For that age they are good, the question is whether he takes another step next season or not. Max Talbot put in two seasons like that and we were never confusing him as a legit top 6 guy.

Beyond good imo, but yeah, he's gotta keep stepping it up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think this is a perfect scenario (Max Talbot) where you (not you specifically, but the general you) need to watch the games to see his point production wouldn't translate to the next level.

There are guys in junior who score 100 points because of elite skill. Then there are guys like Max Talbot (and Pascal Dupuis) who score 100 points in junior because they're incredibly hard workers who have enough skill at the junior level to produce in junior, but not at the next level.

Hopefully Bellerive is closer to the former.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Bellerive vs Glass

5EE0B2BF-B1B1-4E18-B823-4FCD30DD774C.png

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Just to add to the Angello discussion...I watched him play last night.

He's a good player. Clearly, the best forward on Cornell. He moves very well for a big guy, he drives the play on the rush, and has good vision. A couple of times he made some nice passes off the rush. I believe he assisted on both of the goals as well and was an integral player in both of the lead ups to the goals. The first one he broke around a defender off the rush, pulled a nice toe drag and dished it to the other player for a wide open tap in. Real nice goal. Most of the top line's offense flows through him. He's also very physical, he absolutely demolished a couple of players last night. Didn't really get to see much of his shot.

I'd be a little concerned about his hockey sense. He seems to read the play pretty well off the rush and times his lanes to receive passes. But he's also a bit of a cherry-picker, he's predominantly the player that stretches out the defense. He doesn't read the play as well on the defensive side as he does off the rush. He made a few (minor) blown coverages last night and didn't seem particularly concerned with backside pressure or backchecking when the puck was going the other way.

I think he's a promising prospect. He has the makings of a power forward, but it might take some time for him to develop; also depends on his learning curve as he moves from the most talented winger on his team to someone that will need to be good two-way at the professional level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bellerive had a couple goals tonight, bringing his total to 41.

That's good for 7th in the WHL, and he's the youngest goal-scorer in the top 10 (only '99).

Not too shabby for an undrafted FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad