Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Would really like for us to somehow get another 2nd or a least a 3rd rounder. Its pretty bare after our two 2nds (4,6,7,7)
If say they acquire a 2hd in a trade they then (in theory) would have the draft capital to move up several spots if there's a player the team covets.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So, for you Dean Letourneau fans:

- he was on a Habs podcast, interviewed. Seems like a very personable guy.

- said his favorite team growing up was Pittsburgh, because of Crosby (take a number, kid!) He said he is not a "HUGE" Penguins fan (obviously, he is on a Habs podcast).

- said three teams have shown more interest in him than the others: Montreal; Utah and Dallas.

- said he was supposed to go to the USHL for one season, then Boston College. However, after Will Smith signed with the Sharks, the BC coach offered him a spot to go straight to the NCAA in 2024-25, and he took it.

- said he played at 6-6, 209 pounds this season. He is now 215, and he has grown a half-inch since the start of '23-24.

That is all I have. Lots of rumors that the Habs will pick him at 26.

He's a good choice at the latter part of the 1st especially if you have 2 1sts. His size is certainly an advantage at the level he's at but it becomes less of a factor when you get to the NHL unless you're adding some Lucic-style snarl. Otherwise, you're Zohorna and you're nearly irrelevant. My statement and stance on him is the same - if he was 5'10 180lbs, would you still pick him? If not, pass.

Scott Wheeler's latest mock is out at The Athletic:

NHL Mock Draft: Scott Wheeler's final predictions for the first two rounds

44. Pittsburgh Penguins: Terik Parascak, RW, Prince George Cougars

Just as I couldn’t see the USHL’s leading scorer lasting much longer, I don’t think the 105-point man out of the WHL will either. Parascak’s smarts, unique path and potential for growth in the gym all made me think of the type of players Kyle Dubas has liked to invest in in the past as well.

No way does Parascak fall to us at 44. He'll go in early to mid 30s. The kid just flat out produces. If we had the Carolina 1st, that's who'd I'd be taking. He has Debrincat 2.0 written all over him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Only way we are acquring a 2nd is if we move Pettersson. I don't see any other players returning that unless it's Jarry and there is a bad contract coming back or EK with retention.
MP could land us a late 1st. At a minimum a very early 2hd +.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
All for moving Jarry. IF Kyle gets a good offer he'll be moved.

Doubt it, but if anyone can extract value like that it's probably noted tradesmith Kyle Dubas.
Why would you doubt it? MP is our best defensemen. He'll bring in a bit more than a 2hd.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
All for moving Jarry. IF Kyle gets a good offer he'll be moved.

Why would you doubt it? MP is our best defensemen. He'll bring in a bit more than a 2hd.

Find me a comparable trade where a UFA defenseman like Pettersson returned a 1st.

Closest I would say is Savard. I also think he added a fair amount more grit than Marcus Pettersson did.

People really overrate the player.

Reactions: Victor Z

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Find me a comparable trade where a UFA defenseman like Pettersson returned a 1st.

Closest I would say is Savard. I also think he added a fair amount more grit than Marcus Pettersson did.

People really overrate the player.
Not every GM will view him in the same prism you might. Also all it takes is a couple GMs to fancy him to jack up the price. In addition they'd have the player for a full season. You act like he'd only be there for a couple months. I'm perfectly fine keeping him however as he could be here for many years and help once we're relevant again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Not every GM will view him in the same prism you might. Also all it takes is a couple GMs to fancy him to jack up the price. In addition they'd have the player for a full season. You act like he'd only be there for a couple months. I'm perfectly fine keeping him however as he could be here for many years and help once we're relevant again.

I think you see a deal for two seconds or a 2nd and a prospect for Marcus Pettersson if he is moved.

He isn't a skill set that GMs fancy. LHD, no physical game, doesn't have offensive game. He's the type of guy who gets a paltry return and then the analytics crowd says is a "huge win".

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think you see a deal for two seconds or a 2nd and a prospect for Marcus Pettersson if he is moved.

He isn't a skill set that GMs fancy. LHD, no physical game, doesn't have offensive game. He's the type of guy who gets a paltry return and then the analytics crowd says is a "huge win".
Lindholm returned a 1st, 2 2nds and an okay prospect. Fancy stats don tell the whole story as I think Lindholm is better but come on. Feels like sometimes you go over board in putting down anything Pens related and then hyping other teams/players.

1000005051.png

1000005050.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Lindholm returned a 1st, 2 2nds and an okay prospect. Fancy stats don tell the whole story as I think Lindholm is better but come on. Feels like sometimes you go over board in putting down anything Pens related and then hyping other teams/players.

View attachment 886001
View attachment 886004

Marcus Pettersson has scored 14 goals in 400+ NHL games. Lindholm scored 13 in his first two seasons as a 18 and 19 year old.

Feels like sometimes people have no context about Penguins players and their comparables in the league.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He's a good choice at the latter part of the 1st especially if you have 2 1sts. His size is certainly an advantage at the level he's at but it becomes less of a factor when you get to the NHL unless you're adding some Lucic-style snarl. Otherwise, you're Zohorna and you're nearly irrelevant. My statement and stance on him is the same - if he was 5'10 180lbs, would you still pick him? If not, pass.

If he was 5-3, 140 pounds and playing in a semi-pro league in China, and he put up 130+ points in 30+ games, I would still be interested.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Never said MP sucked. Just that he isn’t returning a 1st and Penguins fans overrate how good he is.
I mean, I think Marcus Pettersson could return a first. If the 1st is from 20-32nd. Because then that's a contender willing to pay up for his services vs a non contender being smart enough to not waste a chance at a good prospect on a player his age.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I mean, I think Marcus Pettersson could return a first. If the 1st is from 20-32nd. Because then that's a contender willing to pay up for his services vs a non contender being smart enough to not waste a chance at a good prospect on a player his age.

I don't want @Darren McCord to get mad at me about posting posts on a digital domain in the wrong place so let's talk about this somewhere else.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Why are we worried what Zar Zar Binks feels about this?

Because it makes me sad and if there is anywhere that I would like to have a sliver of joy. It is the prospect board. It is the one place on this board with players unharmed by sullivan yet.

I don't want @Darren McCord to get mad at me about posting posts on a digital domain in the wrong place so let's talk about this somewhere else.

:)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Scott Wheeler's latest mock is out at The Athletic:

NHL Mock Draft: Scott Wheeler's final predictions for the first two rounds

44. Pittsburgh Penguins: Terik Parascak, RW, Prince George Cougars

Just as I couldn’t see the USHL’s leading scorer lasting much longer, I don’t think the 105-point man out of the WHL will either. Parascak’s smarts, unique path and potential for growth in the gym all made me think of the type of players Kyle Dubas has liked to invest in in the past as well.

46. Pittsburgh Penguins: Jesse Pulkkinen, LHD, JYP

Pulkkinen’s going to be the first overager picked, he’s going to be a second-rounder, and he’s another player I could see Dubas (who hasn’t shied away from taking overagers) and his group wanting to get their hands on and work with.

Notable names available after the Penguins' picks: Teddy Stiga, John Mustard, Adam Jecho, Ben Danford, Cole Hutson, Tanner Howe

I would be psyched to get Parascak. I'd also be a little miffed at going with Pulkkinen over the higher upside plays in Hutson, Mustard, and Stiga but I like Pulkkinen enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad