Speculation: 2024-25 Free Agency/Trade Thread (Free Agency Frenzy July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Detroit board thinks they might be the favorite to sign roy. Local boy who skates there in the off-season and Detroit is targeting him.

Reactions: Kalv

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
I wonder if the Ducks have an agreement with Detroit on a Gibson trade, but they’re waiting until July 1 so the Ducks can retain.

Reactions: McDonald19

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wonder if the Ducks have an agreement with Detroit on a Gibson trade, but they’re waiting until July 1 so the Ducks can retain.
That could very well be…

I’m curious what a max retention and taking Husso would garner (we dream of the 15OA for eating 9.6M over 3 years)… I still think Gibby+McGinn for Husso+Compher would allow us to reallocate cap better, but I think Yzerman is going all in this offseason with his job on the line and he wants cap space to go for a big piece or two to get into the playoffs. Verbeek was his former padawan and we also aren’t spending to the cap limit anytime soon.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I haven't seen any rumors on Tanev. I wonder if we could be in on him.

Tanev on a 2 year deal would be perfect, provided that he stays healthy. He’d be really valuable defensively and on the PK. I don’t really care about the AAV, as long as the term is manageable.

The Cats offering $8.5 million on a 6-year deal to Verhaeghe? I get that he’s played well for them and that he’s a big part of a Cup winning squad, but god damn that’s a lot of money. I wonder what their offers to Reinhart and Montour were..?

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I have a feeling that any trade involving Gibson isn’t going to be great for us. We’ll have to take back a terrible contract or two, and/or retain heavily on him.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I have a feeling that any trade involving Gibson isn’t going to be great for us. We’ll have to take back a terrible contract or two, and/or retain heavily on him.

Then why trade him? The Ducks need two goaltenders and no other goalie prospect is ready to be in the NHL besides Dostal. Multiple reputable insiders have stated he has a price. Retention/taking back a bad contract is possible to be part of any Gibson trade, but there must be a benefit or what's the point?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Then why trade him? The Ducks need two goaltenders and no other goalie prospect is ready to be in the NHL besides Dostal. Multiple reputable insiders have stated he has a price. Retention/taking back a bad contract is possible to be part of any Gibson trade, but there must be a benefit or what's the point?

I was not suggesting for him to be traded. Just wanted to put an opinion out there, especially after the Friedman/Pagnotta rumors.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Caps fans seem to think one of Jensen/TvR might be available due to cap reasons. I’d definitely consider Jensen if this is the case.

Get Jensen and Tanev:

Fowler - Tanev
Minty - Gudas
Zell - Jensen
Lacombe

Luneau to the AHL for now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Changing the culture, we should get rid of everyone pre PV , minus the young guys

Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That is a bonkers statement. There is zero evidence that Gibson is negatively affecting the culture outside of fans reading body language. Making changes for the sake of making changes is not how anyone should run a team.
They’re not making changes to make changes. They’re making changes because Gibson wants to move on and isn’t very good

Oct 18, 2011
Honestly, I think GMs know better than armchair fans. Gibson has played behind a horrible defense for multiple seasons and tuned out from this franchise two years ago. He'll be fine wherever he goes. Not great, but not bad either.

We'll get a respectable return.
The defense has been horrible since the one good RC season. From a shot volume and shot quality against stand point Anaheim has been complete ass for 5 years

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
From Emily Kaplan:

To me this screams he’s taking some big swings.

ASKED ANAHEIM GM Pat Verbeek where he saw his team right now. "Not sure," he said. "Depends on what I can do the next few days."

The Ducks are in on a lot. Verbeek is looking to add a right shot defenseman and a top six forward. Last year was a bit of a culture shock for the team, with a new coach in Greg Cronin, who introduced a completely different style. As the season went on, consistency and comfortability followed. Verbeek feels the team showed enough foundation to take the next step, and he wants the Ducks to be playing meaningful games late into next season.

At the No. 3 pick, Verbeek has stayed consistent on his philosophy: He wants high drive competitors with hockey sense who can skate.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
From Emily Kaplan:

To me this screams he’s taking some big swings.

ASKED ANAHEIM GM Pat Verbeek where he saw his team right now. "Not sure," he said. "Depends on what I can do the next few days."

The Ducks are in on a lot. Verbeek is looking to add a right shot defenseman and a top six forward. Last year was a bit of a culture shock for the team, with a new coach in Greg Cronin, who introduced a completely different style. As the season went on, consistency and comfortability followed. Verbeek feels the team showed enough foundation to take the next step, and he wants the Ducks to be playing meaningful games late into next season.

At the No. 3 pick, Verbeek has stayed consistent on his philosophy: He wants high drive competitors with hockey sense who can skate.
Yeah, they’re picking Buium. Stoked!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad