Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I'm tentatively excited about him if he's good at developing because we've sucked at that for a while. On the other hand, as someone (I think @SomeDude ?) pointed out, this absolutely means Sully's going nowhere.

I love you man, but THIS was never going to be the main indicator that Sullivan's going nowhere.

His birth certificate vis-a-vis headquarters of this ownership group is THEE indicator.

• Haha
Reactions: HandshakeLine

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The hockey writers 2024 Pittsburgh Penguins mock draft:

44- Jett Luchanko- center
46- John Mustard- Left Wing
111- John Whipple- LHD
175- Xavier Veilleux- LHD
207- Jack Bodin- RHD
225- Ruslan Gazizov- Forward

:wave:
if luchanko falls to us it would be great! not sure he will.:(
edit; i can see r. ritchie falling because of health reasons, i see no reason for luchanko to fall.

Last edited:

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario

111- John Whipple- LHD
207- Jack Bodin- RHD

I've skated with Jett a few times this year, seen him play a handful as well, the only way he falls to mid 40's for us is if teams get really down on him for his lack of finishing/high end shot.

Kid flies, has great vision, works his bag off and has good hands with a reasonable shot when he wants to use it.

Mustard might be a touch of a reach at 46, but nothing ridiculous. He has everything that pops when you talk about a good hockey player; Size, great skating and speed and a hell of a shot.

I'm still hoping for an Artamonov drop for one of those 2 2nd rounders.

Matvei Gridin is a dream I'll hold on to as well.

Last edited:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I've skated with Jett a few times this year, seen him play a handful as well, the only way he falls to mid 40's for us is if teams get really down on him for his lack of finishing/high end shot.

Kid flies, has great vision, works his bag off and has good hands with a reasonable shot when he wants to use it.

Mustard might be a touch of a reach at 46, but nothing ridiculous. He has everything that pops when you talk about a good hockey player; Size, great skating and speed and a hell of a shot.

I'm still hoping for an Artamonov drop for one of those 2 2nd rounders.

Matvei Gridin is a dream I'll hold on to as well.
Yeah. im also hoping for Gridin or Hutson. Swing for the fences as far as high upside goes.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, not too interested in safe picks…this team needs to swing for the fences on greatness lol…also, I know we need centers but we need D equally as much…I don’t see us waiting as long as Pronman predicts to select a D man…
I don't disagree at all but two counterpoints:
1. With Graves-Letang, Petts-EK locked up for a relatively long amount of time, I think our immediate need for D is less than that of center. I think 4/5/6 guys are pretty easy to find come free agency time as well. Or you trade for one. Hell, Freidman was available for a AHL dman. Addison went for a 5th and a no name.

2. Yes, swing for the fences. 100%. We have 2 2nds nearly back to back. I say go for the homerun on one, safe on the other. While we do need that homerun talent, we also can't suffer two Bjorkqvists or two Lauzons or two Halls - basically promising guys taken high that don't pan out...at all. We are at that juncture where we REALLY need whoever we take to be a contributor. I think Pettersson is more in the safe category but in 2-3 years we could REALLY use a young 3C in the works.

111- John Whipple- LHD
207- Jack Bodin- RHD

If this is how it turns out, I hope this Veilleux turns out better than our last one.

And if you get Gazizov, we may win the "best 7th round pick names list". Puustinen, Tankov, Kangas, Gazizov.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t like mustard unless it’s spicy…hopefully he is. Also if we take him, we’re going to need an all-condiment draft board…is there a ketchup and mayo listed anywhere?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
they all look good this time of year.:laugh:
Yeah I love the this time of year. Used to be in accounting and had time to armchair scout a good number of the top ~75 names. No longer have the time but I wish I still could.

For whatever reason I enjoy the draft and prospect stuff way way more in the NHL vs other sports. I think because of how hard it is to get right and how long it takes to come to fruition. Makes it very satisfying to draft and develop well.

Reactions: The Old Master

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah I love the this time of year. Used to be in accounting and had time to armchair scout a good number of the top ~75 names. No longer have the time but I wish I still could.

For whatever reason I enjoy the draft and prospect stuff way way more in the NHL vs other sports. I think because of how hard it is to get right and how long it takes to come to fruition. Makes it very satisfying to draft and develop well.
i love it too. but i also didn't do my homework this year so im just going on what has happened in the past and guessing. :laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think Cole Hutson will not fall to 44 largely due to his high profile.

I am in the camp of drafting a center and a right defenseman with our two second-rounders. Both with an eye toward eventually replacing a legend.

I would still love Dean Letourneau as a long-range center project, and Gridin sounds very interesting. Gazizov looked good in the Mem Cup. Nice hands. Great personality, too.

It would be cool to draft more Russians and Euros in general. I also wonder if our new AHL coach has some intel on some USHL prospects. I also wonder if we are going to get intel from Jagr about the Czech prospects.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most of the high profile Czech prospects aren't playing in the Extraliga. It's not been a really good development league for the NHL for a while. Instead, most of the really promising Czechs are developing in the SHL, or in the Canadian Juniors. So, Jágr likely doesn't have any more insight there than anyone else.

Still kind of wish we'd take a flyer on Ticháček, but my guess is the organization told Jágr they don't have the space for him, or Jarda wants more money to facilitate the deal than they want to pay.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Was just looking at some rankings and I’m surprised to see Stiga ranked in the mid-to-late 2nd in a lot of rankings. Late 1st in a couple, though. Thought he was pretty noticeable in the couple U18 games I caught. Almost as much as Eiserman and other higher ranked guys. It was just a general impression, wasn’t keying in on him.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad